giraffe cam..she is getting ready to give birth

Last night we saw something out a good solid ways (I can't tell how far because the scale is crazy with the giraffe) and it wasn't a part of her...then she just quit pushing and it went back in. Looked like hooves...it wasn't a part of her.

Does anyone know if her water has broken? I think it must not have yet...usually that happens right as the baby is born and I hope the vets would have enough sense not to let her hang around for days after the water has broken..

Good lord but those things eat a lot. All I can think of is the $$$$$ it must cost to feed them. That hay is like gold.

they are born hooves first

I was wondering about that, it looks like the head is up front. Please keep me informed, I might be able to see it if she gives birth later in the day. Somebody said it takes 2-4 hours?

Hope I get to see it.

Updated: October 22, 2012

The Greenville Zoo reports on their Facebook page that their pregnant giraffe, Autumn had a good night and there are no changes in her condition.

Instead of a baby shower, zoo keepers plan to have a stripping party today. This involves stripping out all of material from Autumn inside stall and remulching it.

Thousands of viewers are following the giraffe's progress over the internet.

Watch the giraffe activity live from the zoo via a webcam by clicking here.

It takes first time mother's longer sometimes, but when you see the baby popping in and out, and it doesn't get born, it's time to do something. I don't hold out much hope for the baby but maybe giraffes are diff than horses and cows. Could be.

I haven't seen it popping in and out. The calf is moving but she doesn't even seem ready.

it was sorta popping out yesterday. I was so excited seeing it pushing out.....and then... nothing.

Does anyone know if her water has broken? I think it must not have yet...usually that happens right as the baby is born and I hope the vets would have enough sense not to let her hang around for days after the water has broken..

ive been looking for that too! At one point the stuff on the ground was very wet..and i thought that may be the reason......

bbbuuuuttt....nnnnooo.....

i think its a sham!!!! :lol:

Updated: October 22, 2012

The Greenville Zoo reports on their Facebook page that their pregnant giraffe, Autumn had a good night and there are no changes in her condition.

Instead of a baby shower, zoo keepers plan to have a stripping party today. This involves stripping out all of material from Autumn inside stall and remulching it.

Thousands of viewers are following the giraffe's progress over the internet.

Watch the giraffe activity live from the zoo via a webcam by clicking here.

well its striped and hosed down.... and been like that for at least an hour now. No new mulch yet.

they are born hooves first

Sorry for posting this at the lunch hour, but last night I found some other similar zoo videos which show exactly how it's probably going to happen...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZYhPJaqBysY]Nashville Zoo Giraffe Birth - YouTube[/ame]

First thing my daughter did this morning was check the giraffe cam, lol.

Apparently there's nothing to worry about...I guess multiple-day labor is normal in giraffes? Who knew!

Nothing inside of her room. It's cleaned and empty... Must be getting it ready for the stork to land.

I think mama giraffe hits the bars and does extreme sports when she's off cam.

I think it's all a huge hoax!

It's probably not even a female giraffe...I mean, do we really KNOW? Maybe it's a guy in a giraffe suit...and they're angling for giraffe welfare dollars or something.

Forum List

Back