Getting to the bottom of Benghazi

craner

Nov 15, 2012
NY State
What happened in Benghazi? - chicagotribune.com

Getting to the bottom of Benghazi

Email
print

U.S. ambassador to the United Nations Susan Rice speaks with the media after Security Council consultations at U.N. headquarters in New York

U.S. ambassador to the United Nations Susan Rice speaks with the media after Security Council consultations at U.N. headquarters in New York (ALLISON JOYCE, REUTERS / June 7, 2012)
Dennis Byrne

November 20, 2012

Dennis, I'm in a pool trying to predict when (your) next column on Benghazi will come out. Now with the (retired Gen. David) Petraeus scandal, just give me a little clue ... OK? I'll split the winnings w/ya!

— email from reader G.H.

G.H., you win if you picked today. Deliver my share in a plain, brown envelope.

I hadn't planned to add to the cacophony generated by the terrorist raid at Benghazi that resulted in the deaths of U.S. Ambassador Chris Stevens, U.S. Foreign Service information management officer Sean Smith and former Navy SEAL commandos Tyrone Woods and Glen Doherty. After all, Obama apologists have so eloquently explained good reasons for dropping the whole thing:

•Only wacko right-wingers want an investigation. Well, there you go; if those loony Republicans and their ilk — like loudmouthed Rush Limbaugh — want something, we must automatically oppose it. You don't even have to know why they want an investigation. Just the fact that they want it is reason enough to oppose it.

• It's offensive. President Barack Obama said he "took offense" to suggestions that he or his administration tried to hide the truth about the raid. "Offending," as the high priests of correctness have informed us, is the gravest and darkest of all sins.

• Thou shalt not "go after" U.N. Ambassador Susan Rice for maintaining the fiction that the raid was prompted by an insulting YouTube video and not a planned terrorist attack. Sayeth the president: " …for them to go after the U.N. ambassador, who had nothing to do with Benghazi and was simply making a presentation based on intelligence that she had received, and to besmirch her reputation is outrageous." He added: "But when they go after the U.N. ambassador, apparently because they think she's an easy target, then they've got a problem with me." How gallant of the president to defend Rice.

• The election is over; we need to move on. Why waste our time fixing responsibility for the deaths of four Americans, the wounding of three others and the violation of the sovereign grounds of an American consulate? They're all fungible.

• The attacks on Rice are racist and sexist. So says a group of House women, The Associated Press reported. Pressing for how much Rice knew and when she knew it is thin camouflage of racism and sexism by old white men.

• No one in the military could have done anything to stop it. It's more evidence that we should mind our own business, stay out of foreign entanglements and slash military spending.

• It's not Watergate. It's a political witch hunt, designed to embarrass and discredit the newly re-elected Obama. It's a lot of Republican claptrap, another one of those conspiracy theories created out of thin air.

Whoops. That's exactly what Republicans were saying when the FBI and newspaper investigators were closing in on President Richard "I am not a crook" Nixon for covering up the Watergate break-in by his operatives. Republican defenders of Nixon described it as merely a third-rate burglary and said investigating it would be a waste of time because nothing illegal or untoward happened. When Democrats begin sounding like Republicans, we know that the Earth's magnetic poles have shifted.

But I digress. Any one of these points is reason enough to shut down any investigation of why the consulate was poorly defended, why Stevens' pleas for a stronger defense were ignored, whether someone issued orders for the quick-response military unit to stand down, whether the command and control structure so essential to national security broke down, if terrorists were prisoners being held in the CIA annex and what was the CIA's role there, and whether the Obama administration was trying to avoid responsibility.

And how about the assertion that the CIA knew from the start that Benghazi was a terrorist attack but that references to al-Qaida involvement were removed from the agency's memo to the administration. No answer needed there, either.

As Obamaphiles remind us, none of these questions are more important than avoiding hurt feelings.

What happened? Terrorists sought and got revenge for all the Islamist terrorists the US has been killing.

It is as simple and as complex as that.

Regards from Rosie

God help us, these libs are lost , absolutely lost. The POS Obama has taken their minds away...what little they had.

but you said obama declared it a terrorist attack the day after, which he clearly did not in my opinion, but if you want to believe so, why did he then go on so many shows afterwards himself and say it was because of a demonstration pertaining to a video, which is now accepted, never happened ??

AND the UN....he gave his speech clearly saying it was the video....then spent 70k for an ad in Muslimland apologizing for it....then had the author of the video arrested and thrown in jail for " parole violations "

when asked on the view if it was a terrorist attack, he said the investigation was still going on ..he wouldn't label it a terrorist attack then, but he did lie and say it was a demonstration about a video that got out of hand ... This is a big deal , and he should be impeached for it !!

That said, rosie, this is a first, a democrat debating in a respectful manner ..take a bow :beer:

AND the UN....he gave his speech clearly saying it was the video....then spent 70k for an ad in Muslimland apologizing for it....then had the author of the video arrested and thrown in jail for " parole violations "
that's right, lied before the world and apoloigised for something created in his own mind, and sent an innocent guy to prison for it ..that shows what a dirt bag this guy really is !!!

Here we go with the cover up of the cover up!!!!!!!

From the KCRA article:

" House Intelligence Committee Chairman Mike Rogers, R-Michigan, said this isn't about parsing words. 'There was some policy decisions made based on the narrative that was not consistent with the intelligence that we had. That's my concern,' Rogers said last Sunday on NBC's "Meet the Press."

Former CIA Director Petraeus told lawmakers last Friday there were multiple streams of intelligence, some that indicated Ansar al Sharia was behind the attack, according to an official with knowledge of the situation. But other intelligence indicated the violence at the Benghazi mission was inspired by protests in Egypt over the anti Muslim video.

Rep. Adam Schiff, D-California, told CNN on Monday that Petraeus explained why the talking points were changed.

'Gen. Petraeus made it clear that that change was made to protect classified sources of information, not to spin it, not to politicize it and it wasn't done at the direction of the white house. That really ought to be the end of it, but it isn't. So we have to continue to go around this merry go round, but at a certain point when all the facts point in a certain direction, we're going to have to accept them as they are and move on,' Schiff said."

Regards from Rosie

Last edited:
POS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
anti_obama_pos_p_o_s_funny_piece_of_hat-p148044600561079844qz14_400.jpg

So the president of the united states wasn't aware of the real facts ?? He just went along weeks after benghazi and sticking to the story about the video and telling the parents of those killed that they would lock up the video maker ??

Petraeus testified what Petraeus testified. Pull on those big girl panties and deal with it.

Regards from Rosie

Forum List

Back