Georgia Seniors Told They Can't Pray Before Meals

masquerade

positivity
Oct 15, 2009
right of center
But Senior Citizens Inc. officials said Friday the meals they are contracted by the city to provide to Ed Young visitors are mostly covered with federal money, which ushers in the burden of separating church and state.

On Thursday, the usual open prayer before meals at the center was traded in for a moment of silence.

The dilemma is being hashed out by the Port Wentworth city attorney, said Mayor Glenn "Pig" Jones.

Tim Rutherford, Senior Citizens Inc. vice president, said some of his staff recently visited the center and noticed people praying shortly before lunch was served. Rutherford said his company provides meals like baked chicken, steak tips and rice and salads at a cost of about $6 a plate. Seniors taking the meals pay 55 cents and federal money foots the rest of the bill, Rutherford said.

"We can't scoff at their rules," he said of federal authorities. "It's a part of the operational guidelines."

Rutherford said the moment of silence was introduced to protect that funding. He said although the change may have been misinterpreted, perhaps his company could have done a better job selling it.

"It's interpreted that we're telling people that they can't pray, but we aren't saying that," he said. "We're asking them to pray to themselves. Have that moment of silence."

Mayor Jones said he was outraged by the change and has promised to find a solution.

Ga. Seniors Told They Can't Pray Before Meals

What a sad state of affairs our country is in.

What do y'all think? Should anyone who receives meals funded by the government, have their right to pray before the meal stripped from them?

i could have told you this was going to happen once Faith based Initiatives were passed....the churches and religious were selling their souls to the Devil, just for gvt money......

Halal Meals On Wheels

Program, believed to be first in nation, caters to homebound Muslims in Wayne County

ACCESS launched a program to feed seniors in a community setting a few years ago, but funding ran out. Talab worked to launch the program for shut-ins with the Senior Alliance, Area Agency on Aging 1C in Wayne, which runs a $3 million program that feeds seniors in 34 communities throughout western and southern Wayne County.

But unlike traditional Meals on Wheels, the halal meals are not delivered by volunteers. Food is provided by Midamar, a national halal food distributor based in Iowa. Meals are then assembled by Mom’s Meals, another Iowa company that mails meals to seniors in rural areas and other hard-to-reach places.

Mom’s Meals ships a two-week supply of halal meals in coolers to qualifying seniors via FedEx. The meals, which cost about $7 to prepare and ship, include entrees such as chicken biryani, lentil stew with ground lamb and Italian chicken.

The program is small but organizers expect it to grow.

The Area Agency on Aging has contracted with Mom’s Meals for three years, renewable at the end of each year based on performance, for $100,000 annually. The program was funded with federal dollars for programs for older Americans funneled through the state, said Bob Brown, executive director for the Senior Alliance.

I can't help but wonder if these Muslims were spoken to about their prayer.

the first amendment is NOT being followed, in my opinion....

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech...

They would be abridging the freedom of speech, in the case above....and they are prohibiting the FREE EXERCISE, THERE OF....in my opinion as well....admittingly, I am no constitutional lawyer....

Halal Meals On Wheels

Program, believed to be first in nation, caters to homebound Muslims in Wayne County

ACCESS launched a program to feed seniors in a community setting a few years ago, but funding ran out. Talab worked to launch the program for shut-ins with the Senior Alliance, Area Agency on Aging 1C in Wayne, which runs a $3 million program that feeds seniors in 34 communities throughout western and southern Wayne County.

But unlike traditional Meals on Wheels, the halal meals are not delivered by volunteers. Food is provided by Midamar, a national halal food distributor based in Iowa. Meals are then assembled by Mom’s Meals, another Iowa company that mails meals to seniors in rural areas and other hard-to-reach places.

Mom’s Meals ships a two-week supply of halal meals in coolers to qualifying seniors via FedEx. The meals, which cost about $7 to prepare and ship, include entrees such as chicken biryani, lentil stew with ground lamb and Italian chicken.

The Area Agency on Aging has contracted with Mom’s Meals for three years, renewable at the end of each year based on performance, for $100,000 annually. The program was funded with federal dollars for programs for older Americans funneled through the state, said Bob Brown, executive director for the Senior Alliance.

of course not!

We exempt Muslims from the idiotic restrictions we place on Christians.

Reminder: I am an atheist and I don't care if some old lady says grace before her meal even if my tax dollars subsidize it and neither should anyone else. I don't care if it says "In God We Trust" on our money. I don't care if the fucking president says "God Bless America"

All I want is some fucking common sense but I would settle for some consistency instead of the utterly ridiculous hypocritical tripe that we seem to get constantly.

"It's interpreted that we're telling people that they can't pray, but we aren't saying that," he said. "We're asking them to pray to themselves. Have that moment of silence."

I guess you didn't read your own article.

Why is it some people can't pray unless they do it out loud with other people? Even when some of those other people are offended by the sometimes obvious attempt to make those who don't participate feel like outcasts?

Isn't prayer supposed to be between God and the individual? Isn't using it as a tool to control people an offense to God?

Thanks Skull Pilot. I appreciate your balanced view regardless of the fact you're an athiest. What the hell ever happened to the phrase 'live and let live'?

the first amendment is NOT being followed, in my opinion....

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech...

They would be abridging the freedom of speech, in the case above....and they are prohibiting the FREE EXERCISE, THERE OF....in my opinion as well....admittingly, I am no constitutional lawyer....

i don't see anything in that post that would require anyone receiving a meal to pray publicly.

there are kosher meals on wheels too because people with dietary restrictions can't eat impermissible food.

on the other hand, someone shouldn't be required to sit through a christian prayer (or any prayer) to get government paid for meals. and i figure the O/P would be in meltdown if anyone suggested that a muslim prayer be held before that same meal.

is there something there i'm not seeing?

I guess you didn't read your own article.

Why is it some people can't pray unless they do it out loud with other people? Even when some of those other people are offended by the sometimes obvious attempt to make those who don't participate feel like outcasts?

Isn't prayer supposed to be between God and the individual? Isn't using it as a tool to control people an offense to God?
Geez, yeah ... you got me. I didn't read the article I posted. :cuckoo:

I don't give a rat's ass how people pray. That is their decision and who am I or the government to decide when and how they should. Because their meals are subsidized by the government? Pft. Bullshit.

Halal Meals On Wheels

of course not!

We exempt Muslims from the idiotic restrictions we place on Christians.

Reminder: I am an atheist and I don't care if some old lady says grace before her meal even if my tax dollars subsidize it and neither should anyone else. I don't care if it says "In God We Trust" on our money. I don't care if the fucking president says "God Bless America"

All I want is some fucking common sense but I would settle for some consistency instead of the utterly ridiculous hypocritical tripe that we seem to get constantly.
I am an atheist too and I also don't care if some old lady says grace before her meal. I've also patiently sat through many silly grace rituals and am not so much offended as I find them amusing. But I certainly do not want my tax dollars paying for any of these goofy group prayer sessions.

I've noticed that many religious people, particularly Christians, have boundary issues. Have respect for other people's religions or lack of.

Last edited:
No.
The brainwashed assholes need to get Geezuss and not Georgia to hand them their free meals.
Asketh and ye shalleth receiveth.....eth
Tell the idiots to go outside and bleat/pray/prey this :
See ?
John 14:13 And whatsoever ye shall ask in my name, that will I do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son.
14 If ye shall ask any thing in my name, I will do it.
James 1:5 If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that giveth to all men liberally, and upbraideth not; and it shall be given him.
Matthew 7:7 Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you:
8 For every one that asketh receiveth; and he that seeketh findeth; and to him that knocketh it shall be opened.
9 Or what man is there of you, whom if his son ask bread, will he give him a stone?
10 Or if he ask a fish, will he give him a serpent?

You fucking assholes are as fucked up as the Talibanniez.

Forum List

Back