Georgia Seniors Told They Can't Pray Before Meals

Last edited:
They can pray. It's just not an organized prayer.

Or they could always refuse funding.

Know I heard this argued on the radio today, they can't pray period!

The first amendment protects the free practice of religion, not the freedom from religion. Christians built this nation and believe it or not they help more with charity and voluntary work then any other people.

It's amazing that we placate Muslims with allowing them to take driver license pictures with hijabs and burqua. Hell, liberal antiChristian universities even gave into their demands to use university tuition dollar to built foot baths in public restrooms!

Give me a fucking break. If these were antiamerican Muslims (Yes not all Muslims are antiAmerican in fact many are pro-American) praying for America's downfall before they broke bread, the administration wouldn't do anything but protect their rights. In fact, if the administration told them to stop. You would have the ACLU, Jesse Jackson, CAIR and Sharpton bringing lawsuits and threatening boycotts!

The atheist assholes (which I am one) need to be truthful and say they are not at war with religion. That they don't desire freedom from religion. Rather they are at war with Christianity and YES they have turned into the intolerant BASTARDS that they proclaim they are fighting against!

Christians aren't the problem in this battle. Its atheist pushing their believes on others. I personally think the idea of God is old and outdated. That even though I am glad that many people have the belief in a higher power to set them on the right track (specifically in AA), but I can't live a lie and believe in something I think is folklore.

Nevertheless, who am I to push my beliefs onto believers. Who am I to say, a nation under god hurts my atheist ears. Who am I to say that people can't pray before eating a meal. That is what they believe and they shouldn't be PERSECUTED for what they believe, as I shouldn't be persecuted for what I don't believe!

1. I don't believe they can't pray at all.... not for a second. There is nothing wrong with silent time for people to engage in their own personal prayer and contemplation.

2. Freedom of religion can only exist with freedom FROM religion. I know that my grandmother, when she was alive, shouldn't have been subjected to other people's prayers and be isolated because she was a minority.

3. Again, if the prayers being imposed on the group were muslim prayers, i suspect many would feel differently.

4. Whose G-d? Yours? Theirs? Mine? Mohammed's?

The first amendment protects the free practice of religion, not the freedom from religion.

Absurd. The SCOTUS disagrees with you.

Also, there is no way a person can legally stop someone from praying on their own. The issue is when it's a group prayer and other people feel compelled to join in on something they don't believe in.

The first amendment protects the free practice of religion, not the freedom from religion.

Also, there is no way a person can legally stop someone from praying on their own. The issue is when it's a group prayer and other people feel compelled to join in on something they don't believe in.
There is no constitutional protection from feeling a certain way. There is one that protects speech.

There is no constitutional protection from feeling a certain way. There is one that protects speech.

There is also one that prevents the government from establishing a religion and that is why the Supreme Court has consistently ruled that group prayer sessions in the public domain are unconstitutional.

You certainly aren't seeing anyone saying group prayer should be banned in church. That's the other side of this coin.

When schools quit teaching kids the Secular Religion Substitutes of the Greens and the Progressives, then perhaps forbidding seniors to pray out loud before a meal funded by their life time of taxes "might" hold water.

This is a shameful incident. The government has jacked up taxes as a ratio of our GDP to the point where less people are going to be able to engage in charitable giving to churches. Churches are one of the more successful vehicles in our society for relief and hunger programs. The government hijacks money and then imposes gag orders.

Just lovely.

(And it is completely specious to say that funding hunger relief programs is the establishment of a religion.)

They can pray. It's just not an organized prayer.

Or they could always refuse funding.

Know I heard this argued on the radio today, they can't pray period!

The first amendment protects the free practice of religion, not the freedom from religion. Christians built this nation and believe it or not they help more with charity and voluntary work then any other people.

It's amazing that we placate Muslims with allowing them to take driver license pictures with hijabs and burqua. Hell, liberal antiChristian universities even gave into their demands to use university tuition dollar to built foot baths in public restrooms!

Give me a fucking break. If these were antiamerican Muslims (Yes not all Muslims are antiAmerican in fact many are pro-American) praying for America's downfall before they broke bread, the administration wouldn't do anything but protect their rights. In fact, if the administration told them to stop. You would have the ACLU, Jesse Jackson, CAIR and Sharpton bringing lawsuits and threatening boycotts!

The atheist assholes (which I am one) need to be truthful and say they are not at war with religion. That they don't desire freedom from religion. Rather they are at war with Christianity and YES they have turned into the intolerant BASTARDS that they proclaim they are fighting against!

Christians aren't the problem in this battle. Its atheist pushing their believes on others. I personally think the idea of God is old and outdated. That even though I am glad that many people have the belief in a higher power to set them on the right track (specifically in AA), but I can't live a lie and believe in something I think is folklore.

Nevertheless, who am I to push my beliefs onto believers. Who am I to say, a nation under god hurts my atheist ears. Who am I to say that people can't pray before eating a meal. That is what they believe and they shouldn't be PERSECUTED for what they believe, as I shouldn't be persecuted for what I don't believe!

1. I don't believe they can't pray at all.... not for a second. There is nothing wrong with silent time for people to engage in their own personal prayer and contemplation.

2. Freedom of religion can only exist with freedom FROM religion. I know that my grandmother, when she was alive, shouldn't have been subjected to other people's prayers and be isolated because she was a minority.

3. Again, if the prayers being imposed on the group were muslim prayers, i suspect many would feel differently.

4. Whose G-d? Yours? Theirs? Mine? Mohammed's?

I will agree that freedom of religion has a GIGANTIC gray area. Its tough to appeal to both Gods (no pun intended). However, Christians get attacked the most and are the VICTIMS of unjust atheist onslaught. Sorry but Christian persecuting non-believers is not the problem nowadays and its beyond disingenious for atheist to make it seem as so.

Here is a little legislative history for you. President/General Washington was the main person who DEMANDED freedom of religion in 1st amendment. Many of the founding fathers didn't want it. They wanted a sole Christian nation. Washington demanded it to make sure the small, but present, Jewish community would be protected to freely practice their religion. Google it. That is the truth. I saw a think on Washington on the history challenge and took away this little nugget.

Although I am an atheist I fear an atheist run country. Hell take a look at atheist rulers in modern history, Stalin's Soviet Union, Pol Pot's Khmer Rouge, Little Kim's North Korea, Maoist China and YES Hitler's Nazi Germany (he was an atheist no matter how many people argue he was a Christian). They don't have to answer to anyone, including God, and they start to lose their humanity and commit atrocisties upon man!

The best thing the concept of a divinity does for government is to keep leadership humble. When they start to see themselves as having godlike powers, the population is victimized.

However, Christians get attacked the most and are the VICTIMS of unjust atheist onslaught.
Duh! This is a predominantly Christian country. Most religious injustice here has been committed by Christians.
"atheist onslaught" :lol: Get a grip.

There is also one that prevents the government from establishing a religion and that is why the Supreme Court has consistently ruled that group prayer sessions in the public domain are unconstitutional.

You certainly aren't seeing anyone saying group prayer should be banned in church. That's the other side of this coin.
No religion was established by the government.

Actually, the government is trying to establish a religion substitute: Secular Big Government.

As I said, the court cases disagree with your opinion on these matters.

Courts are no infallible - especially when larded up with Progressive Ideologues.

Just sayin'.

Ciitation, please.

The government provided money for food; The People happened to pray.

Ciitation, please.

The government provided money for food; The People happened to pray.

Just one of several:

Federal Court Strikes Down Louisiana School Prayer Law. - Free Online Library

More importantly, the federal government doesn't have to establish a state religion before the establishment clause comes into effect.

This wouldn't be an issue if individuals were praying. It was an issue because it was a group prayer.

Courts are no infallible - especially when larded up with Progressive Ideologues.

Just sayin'.

They are not infallible. Just the law of the land.

Of course, at this point in time I am well versed in the "activist judge" talking point which really means "legal decision I personally disagree with".

Forum List

Back