Georgetown Texas Aims For 100% Solar & Wind Power Within 2 Years

ScienceRocks

Democrat all the way!
Mar 16, 2010
The Good insane United states of America
Georgetown Texas Aims For 100% Solar & Wind Power Within 2 Years

Originally published on RenewEconomy.
By Sophie Vorrath
A city in Texas – home to the “Gusher Age” of American oil – is aiming to become 100 per cent renewable within two years, after finalising a deal with SunEdison to supply it with solar power for 25 years.

Georgetown – population 54,000 – will take the output from the 150MW solar plant and another 144MW from a new wind farm to source its needs from renewables. The local utility saying it has turned to wind and solar because it is cheaper and more reliable, and requires a lot less water.

The deal with SunEdison will provide electricity at a lower overall cost than the City of Georgetown’s previous wholesale power contracts – and will supply more than 9,500 gigawatt-hours of renewable energy to Georgetown rate payers through 2041, enough to power more than 24,000 homes a year for 25 years.

And it follows the utility’s signing of a wind power agreement in 2014 – a 20-year PPA with EDF for 144MW from the 194MW Spinning Spur 3 wind project, which is currently under construction 50 miles west of Amarillo, and will begin delivery of power in 2016.

100% still say it can't be done?

Gee, I'm 100% solar. Physics and reality don't seem to mind.

I'm 10 miles from the nearest power line and doing fine with my PV and batteries.

Forum List

Back