George To Go Under The Knife!!!

George Costanza

A Friendly Liberal
Mar 10, 2009
Los Angeles area.
That's right. I may have only a matter of days to live. The knee problem turns out to be a DOUBLE, meniscus tear - both lateral and medial (i.e., one on the inside of the knee and one on the outside). The only cure: SURGERY.

Today, I meet with the surgeon who will actually do the operation. I will know more tonight and will keep you all posted. Tomorrow, I will be meeting with my estate planning attorney, getting my affairs in order, etc. At my age, ALL surgery is risky, but this . . . well . . .

I must say that I am somewhat appalled at the attitude expressed by my orthopaedic doctor - you remember him, the doctor that had me thrust into the depths of the MRI (I could have died from heart stoppage). This ortho guy is talking in terms of something he calls "arthroscopic" surgery and is attempting to minimize the severity of the procedure I am about to undergo. He says they do this under local anesthetic to the knee and a "light sleep" type of anesthetic to "make me drowsy" during the operation.

Ha! He's not fooling George! I'm onto him BIG TIME. I asked him what the recovery period will be. I figure six to eight weeks. He said two days on crutches and then back to work with some phsyical therapy. Here again - this guy is obviously incompetent. We'll SEE what the recovery time is . . . .

I don't like any part of this. It sounds extremely involved and dangerous.

Oh yes - ortho guy gave me a cortisone shot which, I must say, has made me feel a lot better. He said that should take care of things until the actual SURGERY.

Oh, my God . . . .

a few members of my husbands family have done the knee replacements...came right thru it....

me i wouldnt let the idiots touch my knees....buy i am paranoid like that

My wife had the same surgey done last year. You better stock up on pain killers, she said the pain was worse that delivering a child.

a few members of my husbands family have done the knee replacements...came right thru it....

This isn't a knee replacement. It is a repair to a torn meniscus. There is a huge difference. Knee replacements ARE big deals. All they do here is go in arthroscopically and suture up the tear - actually, the two tears.

As I trust you gathered from the OP, I am trying to approach this thing with a little humor. Truth is, it shouldn't be anything at all and I'm hopeful I will be back out on the golf course by July.

George, look at the bright side, maybe the nurses will take advantage of you sexually while you're under

Any kind of surgery is not fine, but it sounds like you will make it through just fine. :)
Look at the bright side you will have a few days of just loafing around.
Good luck on your surgery and you will be in my prayers for a good repair job and quick recovery.

My wife had the same surgey done last year. You better stock up on pain killers, she said the pain was worse than delivering a child.

George does NOT need to hear that! :eek:

You will be fine the first day after the surgery, then the medication wears off and the next three days will be bad. The pain meds they gave my wife did little to help. The best bet is to get some ambien and try to sleep through it. Good Luck!

This isn't a knee replacement. It is a repair to a torn meniscus. There is a huge difference. Knee replacements ARE big deals. All they do here is go in arthroscopically and suture up the tear - actually, the two tears.

As I trust you gathered from the OP, I am trying to approach this thing with a little humor. Truth is, it shouldn't be anything at all and I'm hopeful I will be back out on the golf course by July.

Hope it all works out well for you.

That's right. I may have only a matter of days to live. The knee problem turns out to be a DOUBLE, meniscus tear - both lateral and medial (i.e., one on the inside of the knee and one on the outside). The only cure: SURGERY.

Today, I meet with the surgeon who will actually do the operation. I will know more tonight and will keep you all posted. Tomorrow, I will be meeting with my estate planning attorney, getting my affairs in order, etc. At my age, ALL surgery is risky, but this . . . well . . .

I must say that I am somewhat appalled at the attitude expressed by my orthopaedic doctor - you remember him, the doctor that had me thrust into the depths of the MRI (I could have died from heart stoppage). This ortho guy is talking in terms of something he calls "arthroscopic" surgery and is attempting to minimize the severity of the procedure I am about to undergo. He says they do this under local anesthetic to the knee and a "light sleep" type of anesthetic to "make me drowsy" during the operation.

Ha! He's not fooling George! I'm onto him BIG TIME. I asked him what the recovery period will be. I figure six to eight weeks. He said two days on crutches and then back to work with some phsyical therapy. Here again - this guy is obviously incompetent. We'll SEE what the recovery time is . . . .

I don't like any part of this. It sounds extremely involved and dangerous.

Oh yes - ortho guy gave me a cortisone shot which, I must say, has made me feel a lot better. He said that should take care of things until the actual SURGERY.

Oh, my God . . . .

Gez when I saw the title I thought GWB is going under the knife!! Stop teasing us already!

George, look at the bright side, maybe the nurses will take advantage of you sexually while you're under

When I had the ablation, the nurses that came to do the shaving were extremely hot chicks. So were the ones that were there during the surgery.

Fortunately the pain was so excruciating that it didn't lead to any embarrassments.

Good luck but heed this wise man's advice at 0:15

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ztVnYrrTzYE]seinfeld.kramer.vets.avi - YouTube[/ame]

This has been a constant problem for me, not only during surgical procedures, but elsewhere as well - in the dentist's chair, at the store, just walking down the street.

I have just had to learn to live with it. :dance:

My wife had the same surgey done last year. You better stock up on pain killers, she said the pain was worse than delivering a child.

George does NOT need to hear that! :eek:

George, I've done some quick reading and nothing I've read indicates the pain will be severe. In fact, the opposite seems to be true.

Don't worry, you'll be just fine. I would really be happy that I don't have to have general anesthesia, that would be he greatest risk. And even that is as safe as flying on a commercial airline, and we all know commercial airlines are statistically very safe. (I have fear of flying, so I wasn't sure how comforting that information was last time I had general anesthesia!) : )

Forum List

Back