George Clooney Arrested

He's accomplishing making the issue more visible.

Like it or not, our society as a whole seems to care about things more when it's popular to care about them. For example, see Kony 2012.

I have nothing against George Clooney making this issue more visible. There are certainly worse things that he could do with his time.

I don't disagree. And I think raising our collective consciousness on that horror is actually a good thing.

But my point is: what does he propose we do?

What are WE willing to say we should do?

It's not time to send in our troops, right?

We aren't the world's policeman, right?

SO other than making us SEE the horror, I'd like to know what the proposed next meaningful move is.

What are we raising consciousness to DO?

(I harbor zero animosity towards Mr. Clooney. To me he seems like a pretty decent human being.)

You know, I don't know.

I don't have an answer as to what we SHOULD do. I don't think George Clooney does either.

He's accomplishing making the issue more visible.

Like it or not, our society as a whole seems to care about things more when it's popular to care about them. For example, see Kony 2012.

I have nothing against George Clooney making this issue more visible. There are certainly worse things that he could do with his time.

I don't disagree. And I think raising our collective consciousness on that horror is actually a good thing.

But my point is: what does he propose we do?

What are WE willing to say we should do?

It's not time to send in our troops, right?

We aren't the world's policeman, right?

SO other than making us SEE the horror, I'd like to know what the proposed next meaningful move is.

What are we raising consciousness to DO?

(I harbor zero animosity towards Mr. Clooney. To me he seems like a pretty decent human being.)

You know, I don't know.

I don't have an answer as to what we SHOULD do. I don't think George Clooney does either.

I think that's a fair guess. And it was my original point.

If we raise the collective consciousness in order to effect meaningful and needed change, then we probably ought to have some notion of what change we seek. Or at least how we propose to get the necessary change instituted.

I will agree that what is happening there is totally hideous. If there's a way to stop it, we probably need to look into that.

But we best make sure we know what we're saying and what it implies.

Sorry if it sounds cold, but if we cannot identify a national interest, then the notion that we might send in our fighting forces to "save" the victims in places like Darfur is a very questionable proposition.

I don't like the mans politics, but I have to give him credit for his commitment to ending the genocide.

Face it, if it weren't for Clooney, Americans wouldn't be talking about Darfur.
heh, I don't like his acting, in fact he makes me want to vomit, but I can't fault his politics in this instance.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXnoe342Dt8&context=C48bd85dADvjVQa1PpcFNlhOkU-I9Za_6YFgA4bBnu2Y6UrT777J0=]George Clooney / Joseph Kony 2012 Scam: IT'S ALL ABOUT THE OIL. - YouTube[/ame]

As well as a bunch of elected officials.

I didn't know Sudan attacked us...

These clowns ought to try a protest like this in Sudan...

George Clooney Arrested at Sudan Embassy in Washington, D.C. - ABC News

To Warrior102: Nice thread.

Have you noticed that Touchy-Feely George never tells us how many Muslims he is willing to kill in Khartoum in order to save his Muslims in Darfur?

I like the idea of stopping the slaughter.

But that whole "holy shit, we have to actually DO something about it" thing keeps getting in the way of the "raise consciousness" effort.

Hey Geroge. I like ya, man. Seriously. You aint bad for a fuzzy headed lib. But enough with your preachy shit. Get down to it. MAKE THE PROPOSAL about what "we" should do.

• Are we the policeman of the world?
  • Is THIS the place where "we" should send in the troops?
  • Is it wrong, somehow, to believe that we should be able to articulate our national interest before we send in our sons and daughters to spill their blood?
  • What is our national interest in this tragic story?

I like criticizing President Obama. So I sure as hell don't mind it if YOU do so, Mr. Clooney. But, still: fair is fair.

What would YOU have him "do?"

If YOU were the POTUS, what would YOU have America "do" right about now in regards to Darfur and the Sudan?

Maybe Clooney should put on a uniform and take on the Evil-Doers himself? Sending other people's children to die in another War isn't the answer. Time for Clooney to grab his weapon and get to it.

The line reciter seems a bit bored these days. He was at the tax payer funded State Dinner fundraiser and then "advised" Obozo about the humanitarian violations in Sudan. Now, he wants Obozo to tell China to stop genocide in Sudan.
I wonder if old George the line reciter really thinks that he is that character he played in Syriana .
I hear he was talken away in a secret service van? So, why not a plain old cop wagon?

Maybe Clooney should put on a uniform and take on the Evil-Doers himself? Sending other people's children to die in another War isn't the answer. Time for Clooney to grab his weapon and get to it.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

lol. you are right. Who does that line reciter think he is? I would suggest that he take the lady wrestler and go to Sudan to make a documentary about it....and pay for his own armed guards.

When a star like Clooney starts with support of these strange causes, it is a sign that his career is failing. He's playing daddys now. Same thing happened to Sean Penn. Not that Clooney ever really made a good film and never got close to a blockbuster.

Then you're against going to war in Iran?

When a star like Clooney starts with support of these strange causes, it is a sign that his career is failing. He's playing daddys now. Same thing happened to Sean Penn. Not that Clooney ever really made a good film and never got close to a blockbuster.
You really should keep up. He's a top money maker for a reason.

I just saw The Descendants. That young woman, Shailene Woodley, who plays Clooney's character's older daughter was cute.
The_Descendants_movie_Shailene_Woodley.800w_600h.jpg
And yes, she did a good job in that role.

Even Clooney was pretty good in that flick.

Not so much. Tim Allen makes more money than George Clooney! Mostly because Clooney's films are awful and only the hard left goes to see them. When a "heartthrob" star is reduced to playing someone's dad, their career is over.

The highest paid actors are:

Highest-Paid Actors 2011 ‹ The Richest People In The World 2012

Where is George Clooney on this list?

Not so much. Tim Allen makes more money than George Clooney! Mostly because Clooney's films are awful and only the hard left goes to see them. When a "heartthrob" star is reduced to playing someone's dad, their career is over.

The highest paid actors are:

Highest-Paid Actors 2011 ‹ The Richest People In The World 2012

Where is George Clooney on this list?
At retail Clooney costs big: He scored $15 million Intolerable Cruelty, a romantic comedy with Catherine Zeta-Jones due out this fall. (That's up from $8 million for 2000's The Perfect Storm.) But he accepts far less to work with pals like Steven Soderbergh (Solaris) and to direct (December's Confessions of a Dangerous Mind).

George Clooney
$15 million per movie

Earn, Baby, Earn - Friends, Bills, Bills, Bills, Bill Gates, George Clooney, George Foreman, Jerry Seinfeld, Julia Roberts, Kelsey Grammer, Leonardo DiCaprio, Michael Schumacher, Oprah Winfrey, Paul McCartney, Ray Romano, Reese Witherspoon, Tiger Woo

Darfur is not part of South Sudan though, they are still in Sudan and genocide is still happening there.

Human rights are being violated in numerous places - including right here in the U.S.
Clooney's obsession with Sudan, and his publicity stunt today - just what it is - a publicity stunt. One of the elected officials arrested - Jim Moran - Northern Virginia. What a completely useless fuck that guy is. What he was doing with Clooney - who knows.

Publicity for what?

Is George Clooney's arrest something that should impact my day? He's just another Kentuckian! :badgrin:

Wow. ETA: I must add that I admire his persistence and devotion to the Sudanese people. He's not a "fly by nighter" with a cause du jour.
Clooney has been passionate about this for years.

Also among those arrested as a mob of reporters and cameramen looked on were Clooney's Father Nick Clooney; President of United to End Genocide and former Congressman Tom Andrews; Congressmen Jim McGovern, D-MA, Al Green, D-TX, Jim Moran, D-VA., and John Olver D-MA; Martin Luther King III, NAACP President Ben Jealous; and Enough Project Co-Founder John Prendergast, according to a police statement.

George Clooney Arrested at Sudan Embassy in Washington, D.C. - ABC News

Clooney is from KY. They would wipe us Kentuckians off the map if they could!

Forum List

Back