George Bush's double standard

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Merlin1047, Mar 22, 2005.

1. Merlin1047

Merlin1047 Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +450
    This could have gone in any of several forums, but since my basic aim here is to criticize GW, I'll put it into the politics forum.

When Pres. Bush and the Republicans recently rushed to get the Terri Schiavo case into the federal courts, it raised several red-flag issue for me. The actions of the federal government were, in my opinion, a totally inappropriate and dangerous meddling in the court system of the state of Florida. Not only that, the actions of the President and the Congress has had the effect of another power grab for the fed and another erosion of state's rights. Is this now the wave of the future? Will every unpopular decision by a state court end up being usurped by political hacks?

Texas has a law on the books called the "Futile Care" law. The law permits a hospital to stop care for patients who cannot pay for such care if the determination is made that there is no chance that the patient in question can recover from his maladies. Without going into excessive detail, there is a substantial protocol which must be satisfied, including a requirement that the hospital housing the patient must search for another hospital willing to accept him. I believe that it is a good law and that it was carefully written to safeguard indigent patients' rights.

The article which follows documents a recent apprlicantion of the Texas Futile Care Law wherein a baby with extremely serious birth defects was taken off life support against the wishes of its mother who demanded care for the infant, but could not pay for such care. Personally, I agree with the decision and the law. If there is no hope of improvement, why should taxpayer money be spent on care that will ultimately prove not only worthless, but have the effect of simply prolonging suffering?

But here's the kicker - guess which governor of Texas signed this bill into law. If you guessed that his initials were George W. Bush, you would be exactly correct.

Now, how does Pres. Bush reconcile the Futile Care law on the one hand and the unwarranted interference in the court system in regard to the Schiavo case on the other hand?

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  2. krisy

krisy Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +112
    It seems kind of hypocritical to me to say it's all right for the government to make a decision for someone to die,but they can't step in to say that a person should live,as in Schiavo's case. A big issue as well is,the government letting Micheal Schaivo say that his "wife" cannot even eat on her own,since she is able to swallow.

To be honest though,I can't say I like this law in Texas either. Isn't it illegal for a hospital to turn someone away becuase they have no medical insurance? If that is true,then that means they accept the fact that a person is probably going to have to make payments till the bill is paid. I wonder why thay wasn't allowed in the case of the baby in this story.

3. Merlin1047

Merlin1047 Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +450
    I will not get into any discussion of Michael Schaivo or the particulars of that case since that is not the point of this post and I won't go down that road as several other posts already have.

Let's stay on topic, please. The question I posed is whether it is appropriate for the federal government to involve itself as it has in ANY court case. Let's forget that it was the Schiavo case. For the purpose of my question, it does not matter what the particulars of the case are.

The purpose of the Futile Care law is contained in its title. Providing care that has no ultimate benefit to the patient. It is one thing for a family to pay for care that ends up being worthless, it is another to expect the taxpayer to foot the bill for such care. People who have no financial responsibility for the decisions they make will ultimately live in a fantasy world of unreasonable hopes and expectations for improvement. They will demand care even when it is obvious that such care will have no positive outcome. But if they were faced with having to pay for care that was counter-productive, I very much doubt that their decision would be the same as when they can simply pick the pockets of the taxpayer.

4. krisy

krisy Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +112
    I only brought up the Schiavo case because you did in your first paragraph.

I really don't know what I think about the government intervening on a regular basis in court cases. I guess some cases are extreme and sometimes rights can be ignored. I understand where everyone is coming from though,as I am not normally big on government interference in these kinds of things.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  5. freeandfun1

freeandfun1 VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +296
    The federal government has no place in state issues. I am quite upset over W's meddling in the rights of the State of Florida and I believe the Texas law is legal and again, should be left up to the state. If the citizens of Texas don't like the law, then use the system to get it overturned. I hear Kinky Freidman is running for governor!

6. ScreamingEagle

ScreamingEagle Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,159

Let's look at this issue from a different angle.

I see the liberal Democrats acting totally out of character as all of a sudden as they now embrace federalism in a case where a state court decides the life or death of an innocent without appeal.

Liberals have traditionally defended federal habeus review such as with murderers but now they won't defend this federal review for a helpless woman? What about her civil rights? All of a sudden the liberals don't think a disabled person should have her civil rights reviewed? A disabled wife whose husband has denied speech therapy for years when there are doctors who say it is possible. What about their silence about the violence against her? Liberals usually attack a husband for slapping his wife but now they are just hunky dory with the husband starving a wife to death over many long days.

The humanity of society is determined by how we treat the most vulnerable among us. For the Republicans to jump out of character on states rights in order to save a life while the Democrats jump out of character to kill a life says everything I need to know about the character and leadership of each party.

7. SmarterThanYou

SmarterThanYou Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    guess this potato is too damn hot to touch for alot of you, isn't it?

8. dilloduck

dilloduck Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,403
    That Bush has contradicted himself??-----hell it happens all the time to politicians

9. Bonnie

Bonnie Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +669

But it's ONLY okay for Libs/Democrats

10. sagegirl

sagegirl Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +42
    I totally agree with Merlin here. I think the Texas law, signed in by GW himself, is an excellent way to deal with these situations.