Gay group questions ‘American Idol’ judges

Abbey Normal said:
Good point. GLADD should follow the usual liberal advice to turn it off if they don't like it. But as with all kinds of speech, there is a double standard when the left finds something offensive.

That aint liberal advice. Thats common sense advice. Turn it off if it offends you. Watch something else. If most people are offended by a show, then no one will watch it and the show will be canceled. Easy as that.

insein said:
That aint liberal advice. Thats common sense advice. Turn it off if it offends you. Watch something else. If most people are offended by a show, then no one will watch it and the show will be canceled. Easy as that.

It is generally the left that promotes turning away from anything offensive. Unless of course, it is a Nativity, or something else, that they find offensive. The right generally tends more toward trying to have standards of decency. A very tough battle in America today.

As for the merits of the "just turn it off" argument, it's questionable whether that is a good standard when you have only adults watching. But if we think there are things that kids shouldn't see, "just turn it off" isn't going to cut it. We are told to supervise our children if we don't like what's on the air or on the Internet. Yes of course, we should all supervise our kids, and we certainly do when ours is at home. But I cannot supervise her every move, such as when she visits friends, etc. If it is on TV, or on the Internet, kids are going to be able to see it no matter how careful their own parents are. And you know that even the friends that seem the nicest are capable of looking at almost anything. So just turning it off at home, while that is good and somewhat effective in that it communicates your standards to your child, isn't a solution.

Bottom line is, I should not have to have a friendless hermit child in order to protect her from the worst garbage.

Abbey Normal said:
It is generally the left that promotes turning away from anything offensive. Unless of course, it is a Nativity, or something else, that they find offensive. The right generally tends more toward trying to have standards of decency. A very tough battle in America today.

As for the merits of the "just turn it off" argument, it's questionable whether that is a good standard when you have only adults watching. But if we think there are things that kids shouldn't see, "just turn it off" isn't going to cut it. We are told to supervise our children if we don't like what's on the air or on the Internet. Yes of course, we should all supervise our kids, and we certainly do when ours is at home. But I cannot supervise her every move, such as when she visits friends, etc. If it is on TV, or on the Internet, kids are going to be able to see it no matter how careful their own parents are. And you know that even the friends that seem the nicest are capable of looking at almost anything. So just turning it off at home, while that is good and somewhat effective in that it communicates your standards to your child, isn't a solution.

Bottom line is, I should not have to have a friendless hermit child in order to protect her from the worst garbage.

No the left is the ones usually at the forefront of being offended by things. Nativity Scene? Take it down. 10 Commandments on the wall? take it down. American Flag on your own property? Take it down. In the TV land its usually both sides that try to force their own views on other people. The Religious a-holes want everything with sex to be removed (Hence the fuss over a covered nipple for a 10th of a second). The Liberal wackos want anything to do with Conservatism and Capitalism taken away.

The gay issue is easy for me. If the show has a gay guy, im done watching it (unless its South Park who rips on anyone). On to the next channel.

As for your child, if you try to protect them from everything out there, they will never be able to live on their own. They will always call mommy when they need something even if they are 40 years old. Hell they might just be living at home when they are 40 because they have everything taken care of for them there. Mommy and Daddy will protect me from everything bad so i dont need to think. All you can do is establish a base for your kids as to what is right and what is wrong. You cant hover over them. Let your kids make their own decisions and their own mistakes. They learn from them and gain experience. This is ultimately what makes good functioning adults. Parents that teach their kids morals and then let the kids make the decisions. If the kid makes a wrong decision you explain why it was wrong and then hope they dont make it again. Thats all you can do. Parents are not meant to be a gastapo patrol hovering over their children 24/7. They need to no when to guide and when to interfere. No one said parenting was easy.

Forum List

Back