Ahmaud Arbery trial: Defense lawyer asks judge to eject Rev. Jesse Jackson from courtroom

NewsVine_Mariyam

Platinum Member
Mar 3, 2018
The Beautiful Pacific Northwest
My question is, has the Klan ever showed up to the criminal trial of a black person in full regalia for the purpose of intimidating the jury or the defendant(s)?

Why would an attorney in 2021 think it's okay to still be telling black people where they can and cannot be? Jesse Jackson didn't make a special appearance to this trial for the first time in his life. He and the other civil rights icons as "Roddy's" attorney Gough rightfully labeled them, often show up for moral support and to comfort the families of the murder victims. Isn't that one of the roles of the leaders of the church, the black churches especially? That's why the Klan bombed the 16th Street Baptist Church in Birmingham back in 1963 because it was where people were meeting to discuss the fight for civil rights, and to support and encourage one another as well as a social hub for the black community, a place of their own.

I don't know if it's arrogance, ignorance or stupidity but the things people say and do in public often tell on them. This is his second attempt to bar black people, black pastors or reverends from the public courtroom proceedings against the men who are on trial for the death of Ahmaud Arbery.

I know this is just how the south rolls, with their racism and racist social mores on display for everyone to see but hopefully the time has finally come where just because they've "always been that way" and "everybody is that way" and "everyone talks that way" is no longer acceptable. And I speak from experience, I went to school down south and some of the things I saw and heard were pretty amazing in that the speakers seemed to be oblivious to the ignorance, racism and outright stupidity spewing their mouths.

"The court is not going to single out any particular individual or group of individuals as not being allowed to be in this courtroom as a member of the public," Walmsley said. "If there is a disruption, you're more than welcome to call that to my attention."​
The defendants' attorneys also called for a mistrial Monday citing various reasons, including Jackson's presence.​
Walmsley said comments Gough made last week may have lured some people to the courthouse.​
"I will say that is directly in response, Mr. Gough, to statements you made, which I find reprehensible," Walmsley said.​
Walmsley referenced a comment Gough made Thursday in which he speculated what would happen "if a bunch of folks came in here dressed like Colonel Sanders with white masks sitting in the back."​
Jackson told reporters outside the courthouse he was there in a show of support for Arbery's family and that the lawyers who objected to his presence are "afraid of the decency factor rising up."​
He said it was his constitutional right and moral obligation to be there.​
Jackson said Arbery's killing was the "Emmett Till of our day."​
Gough later complained during a recess that Jackson did not have his mask on properly.​
Gregory and Travis McMichael armed themselves and used a pickup truck to pursue Arbery after they spotted him running in their neighborhood in Satilla Shores. Their neighbor, Bryan, joined the chase and took cellphone video of Travis McMichael shooting Arbery in the street at close range. They were arrested months later, after video leaked online and sparked widespread outrage.​
Defense attorneys have said the three defendants were justified to chase and attempt to detain Arbery because they suspected he was a burglar. They say Travis McMichael fired in self-defense when Arbery threw punches and tried to grab his gun.​
Gough claimed last week that the presence of Sharpton and other high-profile African American leaders in the courtroom could intimidate the jury. Sharpton, the leader of the National Action Network and an MSNBC host, sat in the gallery Wednesday and held a prayer vigil outside the Glynn County Courthouse that afternoon to show support for Arbery's family.​
Last week, Sharpton said Gough's remarks showed "arrogant insensitivity."​
"I respect the defense attorney doing his job," Sharpton said, "but this is beyond defending your client, it is insulting the family of the victim."​
Civil rights attorney Benjamin Crump, who is representing Arbery's father, Marcus Arbery, also weighed in last week.​
"It is not illegal for Black pastors to support the parents of Ahmaud Arbery or any other Black victims," Crump saidFriday. "We are going to bring 100 Black pastors to pray with the family next week."​

Nice. When in doubt throw the emotive labels around, as usual.
Gough asked to judge to bar "black" pastors from the courtroom last week. He could have said pastors but he said what he meant, he wanted to bar a specific type of pastor from the courtroom, black ones.

Now this week he wants to bar another "black" reverend.

Don't get mad at me, I'm not the one who's trying to deny people's rights based on their race nor am I the one making stupid jokes implying that if black people are allowed in the courtroom things will be stolen.

So if you don't know what this story is about, how about getting informed before falsely accusing people of things they have not done.

My question is, has the Klan ever showed up to the criminal trial of a black person in full regalia for the purpose of intimidating the jury or the defendant(s)?

Why would an attorney in 2021 think it's okay to still be telling black people where they can and cannot be? Jesse Jackson didn't make a special appearance to this trial for the first time in his life. He and the other civil rights icons as "Roddy's" attorney Gough rightfully labeled them, often show up for moral support and to comfort the families of the murder victims. Isn't that one of the roles of the leaders of the church, the black churches especially? That's why the Klan bombed the 16th Street Baptist Church in Birmingham back in 1963 because it was where people were meeting to discuss the fight for civil rights, and to support and encourage one another as well as a social hub for the black community, a place of their own.

I don't know if it's arrogance, ignorance or stupidity but the things people say and do in public often tell on them. This is his second attempt to bar black people, black pastors or reverends from the public courtroom proceedings against the men who are on trial for the death of Ahmaud Arbery.

I know this is just how the south rolls, with their racism and racist social mores on display for everyone to see but hopefully the time has finally come where just because they've "always been that way" and "everybody is that way" and "everyone talks that way" is no longer acceptable. And I speak from experience, I went to school down south and some of the things I saw and heard were pretty amazing in that the speakers seemed to be oblivious to the ignorance, racism and outright stupidity spewing their mouths.
Oh please...Jackson showed his ugly ass for the MONEY $$$$$---race pimps make big money $$$$$ playing the race victim card.

Why don't you research that and let us know?

Why would an attorney in 2021 think it's okay to still be telling black people where they can and cannot be?

Do they want black people barred from the courtroom, or just Jesse Jackson?

This is his second attempt to bar black people, black pastors or reverends from the public courtroom proceedings against the men who are on trial for the death of Ahmaud Arbery.

It's not "black people" or "black pastors or reverends". It's Jesse Jackson. It's one person.

Some people, simply by virtue of who they are, can be a distraction and a disruption. People like Jackson, Al Sharpton and the like certainly fit that description. It's the judge's duty to see to it that that doesn't happen. If it does, or even if the thinks it could, he can and should bar the person from the court room.

Sorry, that's just how it goes, and you don't get a vote...

It's not "black people" or "black pastors or reverends". It's Jesse Jackson. It's one person.

Some people, simply by virtue of who they are, can be a distraction and a disruption. People like Jackson, Al Sharpton and the like certainly fit that description. It's the judge's duty to see to it that that doesn't happen. If it does, or even if the thinks it could, he can and should bar the person from the court room.

Sorry, that's just how it goes, and you don't get a vote...
Fortunately, this time there is no vote needed. The judge already he's not kicking anybody out who is not disrupting the court.

No, he's just a racist prick (like you) who's scared of black people and feels that the 11 white jurors are scared of them too.

His mere presence is a distraction and insiteful because that's who he is. His entire career is built on infuriating people and he doesn't belong there anymore than if a klansman showed up in their uniform as their entire existence is based on infuriating people.

He is just a loud mouth race baiter and nothing more. It's blacks like him that keep blacks in general disliked by others because he won't shut up about skin color. He does way more harm than good.

Gough asked to judge to bar "black" pastors from the courtroom last week. He could have said pastors but he said what he meant, he wanted to bar a specific type of pastor from the courtroom, black ones.

Now this week he wants to bar another "black" reverend.

Don't get mad at me, I'm not the one who's trying to deny people's rights based on their race nor am I the one making stupid jokes implying that if black people are allowed in the courtroom things will be stolen.

So if you don't know what this story is about, how about getting informed before falsely accusing people of things they have not done.

Why do you think it is based on race? Are all black people banned from the courtroom?

This is clearly jury intimidation.

His mere presence is a distraction and insiteful because that's who he is. His entire career is built on infuriating people and he doesn't belong there anymore than if a klansman showed up in their uniform as their entire existence is based on infuriating people.

He is just a loud mouth race baiter and nothing more. It's blacks like him that keep blacks in general disliked by others because he won't shut up about skin color. He does way more harm than good.
Loud mouth? So what has he said in this court that has you so upset?

Every single item you highlighted is incorrect.

No, it's not just Jesse Jackson. First it was "black" pastors, specifically Al Sharpton. Then it was Reverend Jesse Jackson. Then the idiot also specified "civil rights icons".

Imagine that, a damn officer of the court whining to the judge about his concern that the mere sight of a "civil rights icon" might influence [negatively for his client] the jury. Since when are "civil rights" or "civil rights icons" bad?

From my perspective, he appears to be afraid that the jury may be reminded that "civil rights" are actually a thing and black people are entitled to them just as much as white people. And that his client and his co-defendants possibly violated Arbery's civil rights in a very egregious manner:

Federal Civil Rights Statutes | Federal Bureau of Investigation

Title 18, U.S.C., Section 249 - Matthew Shepard and James Byrd, Jr., Hate Crimes Prevention Act​

This statute makes it unlawful to willfully cause bodily injury—or attempting to do so with fire, firearm, or other dangerous weapon—when 1) the crime was committed because of the actual or perceived race, color, religion, national origin of any person, or 2) the crime was committed because of the actual or perceived religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, or disability of any person and the crime affected interstate or foreign commerce or occurred within federal special maritime and territorial jurisdiction.

Title 18, U.S.C., Section 241 - Conspiracy Against Rights​

This statute makes it unlawful for two or more persons to conspire to injure, oppress, threaten, or intimidate any person of any state, territory or district in the free exercise or enjoyment of any right or privilege secured to him/her by the Constitution or the laws of the United States, (or because of his/her having exercised the same).

It further makes it unlawful for two or more persons to go in disguise on the highway or on the premises of another with the intent to prevent or hinder his/her free exercise or enjoyment of any rights so secured.

Well Gough, "Roddie's" attorney has asked the judge on two separate occasions to bar both of them from the courtroom and the judge has denied him twice, so he isn't buying his bullshit.

Sorry, that's just how it goes, and you don't get a vote..
I don't need a vote, public hearings are mandated by law.

Last edited:
Why do you think it is based on race? Are all black people banned from the courtroom?
Because he specified he didn't want any more "black" pastors in the courtroom. He made it about race. He could have been circumspect and said he didn't want any more "pastors" in the courtroom but then he might not have gotten what he really wanted.

He also said he didn't want any more "civil rights icons" in the courthouse. I'll let you interpret that.

Every single item you highlighted is incorrect.

No, it's not just Jesse Jackson. First it was "black" pastors, specifically Al Sharpton. Then it was Reverend Jesse Jackson. Then the idiot also specified "civil rights icons".

Imagine that, a damn officer of the court whining to the judge about his concern that the mere sight of a "civil rights icon" might influence [negatively for his client] the jury. Since when are "civil rights" or "civil rights icons" bad?

From my perspective, he appears to be afraid that the jury may be reminded that "civil rights" are actually a thing and black people are entitled to them just as much as white people. And that his client and his co-defendants possibly violated Arbery's civil rights in a very egregious manner:

Federal Civil Rights Statutes | Federal Bureau of Investigation

Well Gough, "Roddie's" attorney has asked the judge on two separate occasions to bar both of them from the courtroom and the judge has denied him twice, so he isn't buying his bullshit.

I don't need a vote, public hearings are mandated by law.

The judge hasn't barred anyone, so it's a mystery why you're continuing to whine about this. That said, the judge can bar anyone he wants from his courtroom, and whether you like it or not is meaningless.

Or do you believe otherwise?

Because he specified he didn't want any more "black" pastors in the courtroom. He made it about race. He could have been circumspect and said he didn't want any more "pastors" in the courtroom but then he might not have gotten what he really wanted.

He also said he didn't want any more "civil rights icons" in the courthouse. I'll let you interpret that.

He didn’t want disruptions or distractions. I would be willing to bet that a judge wouldn’t have been thrilled with a well known, vocal, white supremicist leader being in the court room during the trial of George Floyd. Jesse Jackson is a well known, divisive, political lacky of the left, much like Al Sharpton. Being a “pastor” is secondary. My pastor, though I am certain is a Conservative, as most SHOULD be if they are paying attention, he doesn’t make a spectacle of himself and would be no distraction.

He shouldn’t have said “black pastors”, if for no other reason than the uproar it would cause. He should have said “civil rights icons” and that would have been just fine by me.

The judge hasn't barred anyone, so it's a mystery why you're continuing to whine about this. That said, the judge can bar anyone he wants from his courtroom, and whether you like it or not is meaningless.

Or do you believe otherwise?
This is what happens when you jump into a conversation with both feet without reading through from the beginning.

I never stated that the judge barred anyone I don't know where you got that from, or are you just making things up as you go?

I have no problems with the judge with one exception. My problem is with people like you and the attorney who put on this big show as if you have some say so over things that you don't, particularly other people's lives and legal rights and more specifically what you erroneously believe to be things that black people can and cannot do.

As far as the exception with my opinion of the judge's rulings, he acknowledged that the seating of the jury appeared to be "intentionally" discriminatory yet allowed it anyway. If I didn't know any better I'd wonder if he was setting things up for an appeal but that's just me

He shouldn’t have said “black pastors”, if for no other reason than the uproar it would cause. He should have said “civil rights icons” and that would have been just fine by me.
He shouldn't have because it's racially discriminatory and taints the way he, his client, the co-defendants and the proceedings are viewed.

Asking to ban "civil rights icons" is okay though? Really? Even with the words "civil rights" right there in the phrase? You know that we all have civil rights? Not just black people?

• Thanks
Reactions: IM2

Forum List

Back