Gay Blood Ban?... Yes, they are 60 TIMES More Likely to have HIV

mal

Diamond Member
Mar 16, 2009
Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde™
"The FDA, explaining the current policy, points out that men who have had sex with men since 1977 have an HIV prevalence that’s 60 times higher than the general population. The agency contends its first obligation is to ensure the safety of the blood supply."

Ban on gay blood donors revisited - AIDS- msnbc.com

It's not Bias, Bigotry, Hatred or Homophobia... It's simply a Statistical Fact and a Good Call by the FDA when they keep it the way it is...

It's NOT Worth the Risk to the Blood Supply for 2 or 3% of the Population to be Allowed to Donate with that Infection Rate.

Concerning thing is, they don't have to say they are Homosexual at all and then they can just Donate anyway.

:)

peace...

"The FDA, explaining the current policy, points out that men who have had sex with men since 1977 have an HIV prevalence that’s 60 times higher than the general population. The agency contends its first obligation is to ensure the safety of the blood supply."

It's not Bias, Bigotry, Hatred or Homophobia... It's simply a Statistical Fact and a Good Call by the FDA when they keep it the way it is...

It's NOT Worth the Risk to the Blood Supply for 2 or 3% of the Population to be Allowed to Donate with that Infection Rate.

Concerning thing is, they don't have to say they are Homosexual at all and then they can just Donate anyway.

peace...

Is this really a issue now in the industrialized world. I know there is a homosexual plot to infect every man, woman and child in America. Do you really think they would give tainted blood to someone?

Women who had a bad reputation in high school are also banned from giving blood.

Blood banks in SF have been asking if your are homosexual and denying them blood donations for more then 20 years. They will deny your donation if you have cold. Nothing new if you have been donating blood all along.

Am I Eligible?
General Requirements

* Age: 17 (16 year-olds can donate with written permission of parent or guardian).
* Weight: At least 110 pounds (different requirements for 16-22-year-olds, please call 1-888-393-GIVE).
* Diet: A well-balanced meal is recommended within four hours of donation.
* Health: General good health
* Identification: Valid identification such as a driver’s license, DMV identification card, passport, etc.

Do not donate if any of the following apply to you:

* AIDS: You are a person with symptoms or laboratory evidence of HIV infection.
* Cancer: Hematological, ie: Hodgkin, Leukemia, Lymphomas.
* Hepatitis: A history of the disease after the age of 11, or a positive lab test for the virus.
* Organ Failure: Kidney, lung or liver failure.
* Recreational Drug Use (by injection): Having injected yourself with drugs not prescribed by a physician.
* United Kingdom: You have visited or lived in England, Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland, Isle of Man, Channel Islands, Gibraltar or Falkland Islands for a total of 3 months or more from 1980 thru 1996.
* European Countries: If you have spent a cumulative of 5 years or more since 1980.
* U.S. Military/Dependents/Civilian Military Employee: If you are U.S. Military / Dependent / Civilian Military Employee who spent a cumulative of six months or more between 1980 thru 1996 associated with a military base in Spain, Portugal, Turkey, Italy or Greece, and/or 1980 thru 1990 in Belgium, the Netherlands, Germany.
* Travel: Travel to certain countries may temporarily restrict you from donating blood. Please call 1-888-393-GIVE to learn more.

Sexual History

* You are a man who has had sex with another man since 1977.
* You have engaged in sex for money or drugs since 1977.

Blood Centers of the Pacific | Blood Donation | Am I Eligible

What is the rationale for forbidding visitors to UK or Europe?

I don't know, but i would guess it has something to do with the mad cow thing.

They also don't let you donate if you have gotten a tattoo in the past 12 months. They are VERY strict about the criteria to give blood.

They also don't let you donate if you have gotten a tattoo in the past 12 months. They are VERY strict about the criteria to give blood.

Body piercing has a similar restriction.

This kind of issue just blows me away. Do some people really want to potentially compromise the blood supply to make themselves feel better about being inclusive?

Seriously, some activities that people engage in ARE riskier than others. Is that really so hard to understand? Do you really feel so much better about yourself by compromising the blood supply that you're willing to put us all at risk???

Fucking libby think at its finest.

These aren't wild-eyed cons making these rules, there are health professionals. And Libs STILL want to gamble with our health to make themselves feel better. Fucking insanity.

I get tired of the whining. If you have high risk blood your out. Rather simple don't you think.

peace...

And a VERY good argument why Gays should be banned from the military.

How exactly is this a good argument to ban gays from the Military?

I don't remember the ability to give blood being a prerequisite to serve.

Or are you convinced that just having gay men in the military would have been the deciding factor between military personnel like you being gay or straight?

Are you afraid knowing the guy next to you was gay would have been too much of a temptation for you?

Last edited:
NOthing new. This has been a policy for awhile.
I cannot donate either. My ex had sex with a South Korean hooker, and another was an IV drug user.
The AIDS test I took when I was pregnant was not fun, but at least this last time I felt pretty good about how it would turn out.

Body piercing has a similar restriction.

This kind of issue just blows me away. Do some people really want to potentially compromise the blood supply to make themselves feel better about being inclusive?

Seriously, some activities that people engage in ARE riskier than others. Is that really so hard to understand? Do you really feel so much better about yourself by compromising the blood supply that you're willing to put us all at risk???

Fucking libby think at its finest.

These aren't wild-eyed cons making these rules, there are health professionals. And Libs STILL want to gamble with our health to make themselves feel better. Fucking insanity.

What are you even talking about?
This is the second post I have read tonight where you blamed liberals for a non political issue.

Or are you convinced that just having gay men in the military would have been the deciding factor between military personnel like you being gay or straight?

Are you afraid knowing the guy next to you was gay would have been too much of a temptation for you?

One must be able to give blood while in the military, you never know when you will need more blood due to mission needs and requirements. Further one must be disease free to be deplorable. Gays are known to have more problems with disease due to their chosen life style and sexual conduct.

One must be able to give blood while in the military, you never know when you will need more blood due to mission needs and requirements. Further one must be disease free to be deplorable. Gays are known to have more problems with disease due to their chosen life style and sexual conduct.

I know of at least three guys who were in the Army who would not have been able to donate blood, and were straight. It is called having sex with asian hookers while over seas, or getting a tattoo. Your argument does not work at all.

You would think that someone that was in the military knows full well that there are tens of thousands of gays in the military NOW.
Dam.

One must be able to give blood while in the military,

That's not true, or at least it was not true back when I served.

I could not donate my blood because I had rhuematic fever as a child.

Forum List

Back