Gawker's busted! They're in the Caymans dodging taxes

Here's a question for all you liberals and left wingers. If you think this practice is so abhorrent, why didn't the representatives you elected to office make this illegal.

Seriously, if Democrats hate this practice so much why didn't they ban it when they held the House, the Senate and the White House?

Could it be that Democrat Senators and Congress critters and Democrat donors have off shore accounts as well?

:D

Here's a question for all you liberals and left wingers. If you think this practice is so abhorrent, why didn't the representatives you elected to office make this illegal.

Seriously, if Democrats hate this practice so much why didn't they ban it when they held the House, the Senate and the White House?

Could it be that Democrat Senators and Congress critters and Democrat donors have off shore accounts as well?

that's just... different.

That's the problem - we don't know. For example, did he participate in the 2009 IRS Tax Amnesty Program for tax evaders?

what law was broken by having money in the Caymans, dumb ass?

The following short article makes my point:

Did Romney Participate in IRS Tax Amnesty Program in 2009? | Daily Agenda

translation: You can't answer, because people that have money in the Caymans are not breaking any existing laws.

translation: You can't answer, because people that have money in the Caymans are not breaking any existing laws.
No one has said offshore accounts are necessarily illegal. If Willard participated in tax amnesty it could ruin his chances for holding office.

Exactly, it is all allowed by a Congress that has put together a tax code that favors the rich and allows for people to offshore their money for a tax break. If Obama and his insincere Democrats had an issue with this, they could have changed the tax codes and stop it. The real questions why did the Democrats let this go on if they thought it was so wrong. The answer is, it wasn't a big issue then, no political gain, therefore they didn't care and now look to be hypocrites.

Bingo.

You can bet there are plenty of Congress critters, both parties, with offshore accounts.

Its not illegal and a good place to park your millioins.

Shit. Wish I had a few million to park in the Caymans. LOL

wait what? People in both parties have passed and condoned laws that tremendously favor the uber-wealthy and provide them opportunities to hide money?

Color me shocked.

It was wrong when Republicans allowed it. It was wrong when Dems allowed it. It's wrong when Gawker takes advantage of it, and it's wrong when Romney takes advantage of it.

And if both took part in the 2009 Amnesty program, they were wrong there as well.

Why is this so hard to understand?

Being legal doesn't make it right...especially for someone wanting to be President of the United States. Of course, you knew that already...which is why you keep beating the "it's not illegal" drum.

Being legal doesn't make it right...especially for someone wanting to be President of the United States. Of course, you knew that already...which is why you keep beating the "it's not illegal" drum.

And what about the congressmen and senators who also have offshore accounts (you know some do), are you equally outraged? Or is it only Presidential candidates who are not allowed to take advantage of existing tax law to minimize their taxes? Specifically, Republican presidential candidates?

The end result is that no laws were broken, Romney, Obama, senator or congressman X, ANYONE who has an offshore account is simply following the law. Big fucking deal.

And what about the congressmen and senators who also have offshore accounts (you know some do), are you equally outraged? Or is it only Presidential candidates who are not allowed to take advantage of existing tax law to minimize their taxes? Specifically, Republican presidential candidates?

The end result is that no laws were broken, Romney, Obama, senator or congressman X, ANYONE who has an offshore account is simply following the law. Big fucking deal.

Actually, I don't think anyone should be able to offshore their money and run for public office. It is the epitome of anti-patriotic. Can you provide the list of the people that do it so I don't vote for them in the future?

Oh this is too funny. Here they are going after Bain while they're off shore under the control of a company based in the Caymans. One more time, hypocrisy thy name is liberal.
And I've already seen a few libs on the board just lapping up the bullshit Gawker shovels out.

:lol:

Great article. Here's part rest is at link.

Apparently, nobody thought to tell the boys on the Romney beat that Gawker Media is part of a shell company incorporated in the Cayman Islands.

Gawker’s money lives in the same neighborhood as Romney’s money. Call it bipartisanship.

As John Cassidy relates in The New Yorker, Gawker’s finances are “organized like an international money-laundering operation.”

For example:

Much of its international revenues are directed through Hungary, where [bossman Nick] Denton’s mother hails from, and where some of the firm’s techies are located. :eusa_whistle:

But that is only part of it. Recently, [Felix] Salmon reports, the various Gawker operations—Gawker Media LLC, Gawker Entertainment LLC, Gawker Technology LLC, Gawker Sales LLC—have been restructured to bring them under control of a shell company based in the Cayman Islands, Gawker Media Group Inc.:D

Why would a relatively small media outfit based in Soho choose to incorporate itself in a Caribbean locale long favored by insider dealers, drug cartels, hedge funds, and other entities with lots of cash they don’t want to advertise?

The question virtually answers itself, but for those unversed in the intricacies of international tax avoidance Salmon spells it out:

“The result is a company where 130 U.S. employees eat up the lion’s share of the the U.S. revenues, resulting in little if any taxable income, while the international income, the franchise value of the brands, and the value of the technology all stays permanently overseas, untouched by the I.R.S.”

:lmao:

Link and it's worth the read. And I just love the last line in the article to death.

We eagerly await the next Gawker editorial on the need for corporate-tax reform.

:eusa_clap::eusa_clap::eusa_clap:

Gawker and Bain and the Caymans - By Kevin D. Williamson - The Corner - National Review Online

What does this have to do with the issue of the accuracy of what they reported about Romney and Bain?

Gawker tries just as hard as Romney to avoid taxes, hide money and play the system? Well let me tell ya, if Mr. Gawker ever runs for Prez someone should bring this up!

So you frown on those that maximize the value of their net worth/revenue while abiding by the law?

I don't.

You do not search for the lowest price of a product? You do not search for the best return on an investment? You do not invest in tax deferred pension plans becuase the law allows you to? You do not write off everything the law allows you to?

I do.

LOL...Obama spent on his campaign more money last month than he took in. THAT is good, but legally maximizing the value of the dollar is bad.

Bizzarro world.

Actually, I don't think anyone should be able to offshore their money and run for public office. It is the epitome of anti-patriotic. Can you provide the list of the people that do it so I don't vote for them in the future?

So, you don't think anyone running for office should be allowed to follow the current tax law. Got it.

Gawker tries just as hard as Romney to avoid taxes, hide money and play the system? Well let me tell ya, if Mr. Gawker ever runs for Prez someone should bring this up!

So you frown on those that maximize the value of their net worth/revenue while abiding by the law?
Indeed. I also frown upon the people who write and endorse such laws.

You do not search for the lowest price of a product? You do not search for the best return on an investment?
actually, in most cases I don't. We buy local foods that are more expensive than stuff coming from afar. I don't drive the cheapest car I can find. I buy most of my clothes at retail stores that are far from the cheapest. We carefully try to invest our money in funds that don't support causes we oppose.

LOL...Obama spent on his campaign more money last month than he took in. THAT is good, but legally maximizing the value of the dollar is bad.

Of course he spent more than he took in. His expenses are being paid out of the stock of money, not the monthly flow. I'd expect him to end his campaign with zero dollars in his campaign accounts.

Well, it's nice to see that Conservatarians agree that both Romney and Gawker hide money in tax havens.

what law was broken?

No law was broken. That's kinda the point.

Thanks for admitting it's all about nothing, dummy. Ah, the desperation of the left is soooo enjoyable.

What's the next non-issue you clowns will huff and puff and get all red in the face about?

Look at the bright side.

Ryan's tax plan would lower Romney's tax rate to 1%, so unless 1% is still too high for him, he won't need to jump through all those hoops and loopholes to get out of paying much of any taxes.

Forum List

Back