Gateway PC and Windows 8

Do this test...go to Best Buy, walk up to the counter and ask the pimple this question - "I am thinking of setting up a RAID 5 or a RAID 6 across 4 serial HTA's...which one do you think is best for me, and what is the main difference?

Here is the look you will get....

confused-teenage-boy_m8hvgl.jpg

Perhaps that has been your personal experience. I've had nothing but good experiences with Geek Squad.
Then you're one of the lucky ones.

The point is, if things get messed up even worse (FUBAR), then there is not anyone to be held responsible. If you don't REALLY know much about what you're doing, instead of taking advice from strangers on the net (who all tell you to do something different), then you would be best off seeking help from a professional service because the work is guaranteed.

I'm just giving MY advice too, which is not to take advice from people on the internet but to look for advice from a professional service. :)
The thing is they will NOT get messed up even worse, what will happen is we will not be able to figure out the fix and the person needing help will take it to a repair shop or buy a new one anyway. If it works we just saved them $100 bucks.

You most certainly CAN mess things up by deleting necessary files when you don't have to even do that.
Which is easily fixed, I know, I did it years ago when it wasn't as easily fixed, how do you think I learned.
Never mind, it's like arguing with a brick wall, your mind is made up and there's nothing anyone can do to change it. The worst thing is your making a hell of a lot of assumptions with out really knowing what your talking about.

And so are you, considering you haven't even LOOKED at her computer. Lol. :) No need for you to get so upset. I'm giving my opinion which is that it is probably not a very good idea to take advice from people on the internet when you don't know if they are . . . well, just giving bad advice.
Not getting upset, just getting tired of beating my head against the wall.

Well then, stop doing that! No need to get yourself all in a tizzy about my advice. It's not a knock against you. It is just good general advice to follow, IMO.

Do this test...go to Best Buy, walk up to the counter and ask the pimple this question - "I am thinking of setting up a RAID 5 or a RAID 6 across 4 serial HTA's...which one do you think is best for me, and what is the main difference?

Perhaps that has been your personal experience. I've had nothing but good experiences with Geek Squad.

The Geek Squad that I use in my area is very highly rated. I did the research.

The thing is they will NOT get messed up even worse, what will happen is we will not be able to figure out the fix and the person needing help will take it to a repair shop or buy a new one anyway. If it works we just saved them $100 bucks.

You most certainly CAN mess things up by deleting necessary files when you don't have to even do that.
Which is easily fixed, I know, I did it years ago when it wasn't as easily fixed, how do you think I learned.
Never mind, it's like arguing with a brick wall, your mind is made up and there's nothing anyone can do to change it. The worst thing is your making a hell of a lot of assumptions with out really knowing what your talking about.

And so are you, considering you haven't even LOOKED at her computer. Lol. :) No need for you to get so upset. I'm giving my opinion which is that it is probably not a very good idea to take advice from people on the internet when you don't know if they are . . . well, just giving bad advice.

Well then, stop doing that! No need to get yourself all in a tizzy about my advice. It's not a knock against you. It is just good general advice to follow, IMO.
Why do you keep thinking I'm taking this personally? I can only respond to what you post based on how it reads, I see no body language or facial expressions that nuance communication. :dunno:

The Geek Squad that I use in my area is very highly rated. I did the research.
Like I said you got lucky to have good people in your area. You couldn't pay me to take any of my computers to Geek Squad basically because I can do what they do myself and much more.

Why do you keep thinking I'm taking this personally? I can only respond to what you post based on how it reads, I see no body language or facial expressions that nuance communication. :dunno:

Because you keep arguing with me?? Maybe that's why. Lol.

Can't you just admit that it isn't always a great idea to take advice from people on the internet. There is no way to know of their qualifications and they could just be talking out their arses, like people around here like to do so much.

Me?...go to Geek Squad???....uh no.
Look, they provide a service, a needed service...akin to the guy who works at a 5 minute lube shop. But don;t think the guy who works at the lube shop can change your flywheel in your transmission. Same goes for Geek Squad. They really know very little. That is an inarguable fact. If they did - they most certainly wouldn't be working at a retail store making less than $12 an hour.
Their main purpose is to click the "OK" button 3-4 times to solve basic, simple problems that PC owners are too scared or nervous to do themselves. And that is OK.

You cannot check on the qualifications of people on the internet, they may not even be qualified. They haven't been able to even LOOK at your computer to see what the problem might be.

Look, they provide a service, a needed service...akin to the guy who works at a 5 minute lube shop. But don;t think the guy who works at the lube shop can change your flywheel in your transmission. Same goes for Geek Squad. They really know very little. That is an inarguable fact. If they did - they most certainly wouldn't be working at a retail store making less than $12 an hour.
Their main purpose is to click the "OK" button 3-4 times to solve basic, simple problems that PC owners are too scared or nervous to do themselves. And that is OK.

It's a better idea than listening to internet blowhards though. LOL.

At least they can take a "physical" look at your computer instead of just giving "blind" advice. It could be something very simple.

Because you keep arguing with me?? Maybe that's why. Lol.

Can't you just admit that it isn't always a great idea to take advice from people on the internet. There is no way to know of their qualifications and they could just be talking out their arses, like people around here like to do so much.
I'm not "arguing" with you, it's called correcting what appears to me (again based on what you're posting) an overarching claim that anyone and everyone on the internet cannot be trusted.
I and others have already admitted there are those who should not be trusted and I have seen some before on this board in the computer section. Those of us here who know what we're doing read what they post and tell the person with the problem not to listen to the idiots. You'll find the same on specific computer forums.
I know what you're trying to say but you're doing a very bad job of it, you appear to be making an all or nothing statement, that's what I'm responding to.

Last edited:

Ahhh...but see there you go again. You assume someone on the internet are blowhards, keyboard warriors - someone who only thinks they know something. But you have no problem trusting a low skilled, low paid kid to your most private information because there is a sign hanging out front.
Not everyone wants to do that.
I wouldn't take my private computer to anyone. No way - no how. Handing a low skilled. low paid teenager my computer which includes my bank account logins, amazon logins, email access and on and on - is not something I would do. In my opinion that is very foolish. There are literally 1,000's of examples of low skilled script kiddies selling data, installing keyloggers, copying photos and videos. using customers gaming accounts and on and on.
Not me.

Ahhh...but see there you go again. You assume someone on the internet are blowhards, keyboard warriors - someone who only thinks they know something. But you have no problem trusting a low skilled, low paid kid to your most private information because there is a sign hanging out front.
I wouldn't take my private computer to anyone. No way - no how. Handing a low skilled. low paid teenager my computer which includes my bank account logins, amazon logins, email access and on and on - is not something I would do. In my opinion that is very foolish. There are literally 1,000's of examples of low skilled script kiddies selling data, installing keyloggers, copying photos and videos. using customers gaming accounts and on and on.
Not me.

And if anything goes wrong, they are responsible. Besides, when they come out to your home, you are right there with them, watching everything they do. :)

Yes, I certainly trust an established business over some stranger on the internet.

Not me.

And if anything goes wrong, they are responsible. Besides, when they come out to your home, you are right there with them, watching everything they do. :)

Yes, I certainly trust an established business over some stranger on the internet.
So, if they plug a thumb drive into your computer, saying it has a diagnostic program on it, you trust them implicitly..........

Not me.

So, if they plug a thumb drive into your computer, saying it has a diagnostic program on it, you trust them implicitly..........

I do trust them. Besides, you take this risk all the time since professional hackers can hack into your computer pretty easily.

So basically, are you saying all computer programmers and people who would fix your computer (legitimate businesses) are not trustworthy, but strangers on the internet are? Good grief. Just cut the crap now, K?

Not me.

I do trust them. Besides, you take this risk all the time since professional hackers can hack into your computer pretty easily.

So basically, are you saying all computer programmers and people who would fix your computer (legitimate businesses) are not trustworthy, but strangers on the internet are? Good grief. Just cut the crap now, K?
Again, you're making an all or nothing claim and projecting it on what I posted. Wow, just wow.........

Not me.

Again, you're making an all or nothing claim and projecting it on what I posted. Wow, just wow.........

I think that's what you were doing. Lol. Making up an argument that people who work for Geek Squad or other computer services are criminals who are going to hack into your computer.

Not me.

Wow to you, since you really are taking this on a very personal level.

Not me.

I think that's what you were doing. Lol. Making up an argument that people who work for Geek Squad or other computer services are criminals who are going to hack into your computer.
I never said or even implied all. Are there "crooks" working for Geek Squad? Yes. Are there "crooks" working in the military, government, restaurant arena, retail sector, banking, etc...... Yes of course there are. Trying to show you that your trust in so called professionals is as risky as unquestioningly trusting anyone on the internet to help you with your computer problems.

Not me.

Wow to you, since you really are taking this on a very personal level.
:cuckoo:

That's the best response to that claim that I can come up with.

Forum List

Back