Gateway PC and Windows 8

They are certified and their work is guaranteed. I'm willing to bet they have more credentials than your average "keyboard warriors." :D

In all honesty, probably not.
Take me...I have been hacking (the correct use of the word - coding) since 1986. I have probably more computer knowledge in my right pinkie than the script kiddies that work at Best Buy...their main M.O. is "does it boot up...no?...okay then reinstall...that'll be $100 please"
Or if your video card fails...they can unscrew one screw, slide the card out...screw it back..and let Windows find it and install it...whohoo..."that'll be $100 please". Easy money.

Today - the overwhelming number one problem is malware. In which there are several FREE programs anyone can install...the same program the Geek Squad charges you $100 to click on...no thanks.

I've used Geek Squad at least several times, and they were very knowledgeable about all things computer related.

And that is fine if it works for you.
But not everyone wants to, or can - pay $100 to someone to do something that literally took them two minutes to fix. Like removing malware. All you do is literally click scan - do something else while the program scans..and then click fix...whalaa...no easier way to make $100...and BTW, Geek Squad provides Best Buy a whopping 40%-50% profit margins..a very nice shot in the arm for a business that daily gets it's ass kicked by Amazon.

Yes, but if you don't know a lot about computers, it's probably better to go to a professional than to try to fix something like a virus yourself. Scans don't work for all viruses. I'm assuming Bonzi already ran a malware scan and was still having the same issues. Some people were advising her to delete Windows and reinstall? I don't really think that is advisable if you are computer "illiterate" as she has claimed to be, or to install some complicated computer programs. You could really make a mess for yourself if you don't know what you're doing and run into some glitches. It might end up costing you more in the long run.

They are certified and their work is guaranteed. I'm willing to bet they have more credentials than your average "keyboard warriors." :D

Take me...I have been hacking (the correct use of the word - coding) since 1986. I have probably more computer knowledge in my right pinkie than the script kiddies that work at Best Buy...their main M.O. is "does it boot up...no?...okay then reinstall...that'll be $100 please"
Or if your video card fails...they can unscrew one screw, slide the card out...screw it back..and let Windows find it and install it...whohoo..."that'll be $100 please". Easy money.

Today - the overwhelming number one problem is malware. In which there are several FREE programs anyone can install...the same program the Geek Squad charges you $100 to click on...no thanks.

I've used Geek Squad at least several times, and they were very knowledgeable about all things computer related.
Honestly, how would you know? As you've already stated you're computer illiterate, how would you honestly know that they know what they're talking about? Not being nasty just asking a very valid question. :dunno:

I'm not really computer "illiterate." I just don't think it's good advice to tell someone who claims that they ARE computer illiterate to install or delete and then reinstall programs. The best advice is to get advice from a person who is knowledgeable and who has the credentials and backing to show.

Chris, you're being unnecessarily self fear projecting and negative. I'm Just offering options based on what's being posted. She may be much more computer literate or much more willing to try other options than you. Don't be a stick in the mud because this stuff scares you.

She's already made it clear that she isn't, I thought. :eusa_hand:
I wasn't at one time either. Simply offering solutions, it's up to her to make up her mind whether to use them or not. If she's uncomfortable with it she'll choose not to try those solutions.

I'm quite sure she's said that she is computer "illiterate."
So was I at one time. She asked for help so options, including a computer repair option was mentioned, I saw no reason to repeat what someone else had posted. Who knows, maybe she's willing to lean and take a few chances, why try to dissuade her? Pretty sure she's quite able to make up her own mind. :thup:

The point is, if things get messed up even worse (FUBAR), then there is not anyone to be held responsible. If you don't REALLY know much about what you're doing, instead of taking advice from strangers on the net (who all tell you to do something different), then you would be best off seeking help from a professional service because the work is guaranteed.

I'm just giving MY advice too, which is not to take advice from people on the internet but to look for advice from a professional service. :)
The thing is they will NOT get messed up even worse, what will happen is we will not be able to figure out the fix and the person needing help will take it to a repair shop or buy a new one anyway. If it works we just saved them $100 bucks.

She's already made it clear that she isn't, I thought. :eusa_hand:
I wasn't at one time either. Simply offering solutions, it's up to her to make up her mind whether to use them or not. If she's uncomfortable with it she'll choose not to try those solutions.

So was I at one time. She asked for help so options, including a computer repair option was mentioned, I saw no reason to repeat what someone else had posted. Who knows, maybe she's willing to lean and take a few chances, why try to dissuade her? Pretty sure she's quite able to make up her own mind. :thup:

The point is, if things get messed up even worse (FUBAR), then there is not anyone to be held responsible. If you don't REALLY know much about what you're doing, instead of taking advice from strangers on the net (who all tell you to do something different), then you would be best off seeking help from a professional service because the work is guaranteed.

I'm just giving MY advice too, which is not to take advice from people on the internet but to look for advice from a professional service. :)
The thing is they will NOT get messed up even worse, what will happen is we will not be able to figure out the fix and the person needing help will take it to a repair shop or buy a new one anyway. If it works we just saved them $100 bucks.

You most certainly CAN mess things up by deleting necessary files when you don't have to even do that.

Honestly, how would you know? As you've already stated you're computer illiterate, how would you honestly know that they know what they're talking about? Not being nasty just asking a very valid question. :dunno:

I'm not really computer "illiterate." I just don't think it's good advice to tell someone who claims that they ARE computer illiterate to install or delete and then reinstall programs. The best advice is to get advice from a person who is knowledgeable and who has the credentials and backing to show.
Well what you think and what is reality is obviously two completely different things.

You keep saying "credentials"...what are those specifically?
Like I said before, the average Geek Squad employee is a just a kid who has been shown how to do very basic fixes,,,which primarily is reinstalling the OS.
They have no credentials. A person with a very expensive tech degree is most certainly NOT going to be working at Best Buy.. :D :D

Well what you think and what is reality is obviously two completely different things.

Reality is . . . it's not a very good idea to take advice regarding a relatively expensive piece of equipment from amateurs on the internets. :D

Like I said before, the average Geek Squad employee is a just a kid who has been shown how to do very basic fixes,,,which primarily is reinstalling the OS.
They have no credentials. A person with a very expensive tech degree is most certainly NOT going to be working at Best Buy.. :D :D

I already looked it up and they have to be A+ certified. That is a lot more than we can say about some Joe on the internet. :)

You most certainly CAN mess things up by deleting necessary files when you don't have to even do that.
Which is easily fixed, I know, I did it years ago when it wasn't as easily fixed, how do you think I learned.
Never mind, it's like arguing with a brick wall, your mind is made up and there's nothing anyone can do to change it. The worst thing is your making a hell of a lot of assumptions with out really knowing what your talking about.

Reality is . . . it's not a very good idea to take advice regarding a relatively expensive piece of equipment from amateurs on the internets. :D
Well that's been covered in this discussion already but whatever....... :dunno:

Which is easily fixed, I know, I did it years ago when it wasn't as easily fixed, how do you think I learned.
Never mind, it's like arguing with a brick wall, your mind is made up and there's nothing anyone can do to change it. The worst thing is your making a hell of a lot of assumptions with out really knowing what your talking about.

And so are you, considering you haven't even LOOKED at her computer. Lol. :) No need for you to get so upset. I'm giving my opinion which is that it is probably not a very good idea to take advice from people on the internet when you don't know if they are . . . well, just giving bad advice.

Well that's been covered in this discussion already but whatever....... :dunno:

Hey, I can give MY advice too, which is to NOT take advice from internet peoples. :D

I already looked it up and they have to be A+ certified. That is a lot more than we can say about some Joe on the internet. :)
A+ Certification is the first step, it's like computer kindergarten.

And? We don't even know if you are certified at all. Lol. You are just people on the internet, nothing more.

And so are you, considering you haven't even LOOKED at her computer. Lol. :) No need for you to get so upset. I'm giving my opinion which is that it is probably not a very good idea to take advice from people on the internet when you don't know if they are . . . well, just giving bad advice.
Not getting upset, just getting tired of beating my head against the wall.

And? We don't even know if you are certified at all. Lol. You are just people on the internet, nothing more.
I'm not certified and knowledge wise I run circles around A+ kindergarteners.......
Why am I not certified? Never tested, never saw the need to, didn't want to work in a call center or with the Geek Squad, was making too much money doing something else.

Do this test...go to Best Buy, walk up to the counter and ask the pimple this question - "I am thinking of setting up a RAID 5 or a RAID 6 across 4 serial ATA's...which one do you think is best for me, and what is the main difference?

Here is the look you will get....

confused-teenage-boy_m8hvgl.jpg

I'm not certified and knowledge wise I run circles around A+ kindergarteners.......
Why am I not certified? Never tested, never saw the need to, didn't want to work in a call center or with the Geek Squad, was making too much money doing something else.

Look, I'm sorry that you are taking my advice so personally. My point is anyone can claim anything on the internet without offering any proof of such. Therefore, it is always going to be a better idea to take the problem up with someone who can SHOW that they have at least some knowledge in the area, and where the work can be guaranteed.

Do this test...go to Best Buy, walk up to the counter and ask the pimple this question - "I am thinking of setting up a RAID 5 or a RAID 6 across 4 serial HTA's...which one do you think is best for me, and what is the main difference?

Here is the look you will get....

confused-teenage-boy_m8hvgl.jpg

Perhaps that has been your personal experience. I've had nothing but good experiences with Geek Squad.

Look, I'm sorry that you are taking my advice so personally. My point is anyone can claim anything on the internet without offering any proof of such. Therefore, it is always going to be a better idea to take the problem up with someone who can SHOW that they have at least some knowledge in the area, and where the work can be guaranteed.
I'm not taking your advice personally, I'm telling you you're making an overarching claim that doesn't apply to those on this board that have been successfully helping people on this board for years. Yes, you have to be careful but if you know a little bit about computers and where to look you'll find we're not simply a bunch of amateurs who don't offer wrong solutions. We offer options based on what the person with the problem has told us, if they are uncomfortable with trying those solutions we tell them to take it to a licensed repair shop.

Forum List

Back