Gary Carter dead at 57......one of the best catchers of our generation

rightwinger

Award Winning USMB Paid Messageboard Poster
Aug 4, 2009
Gary Carter dies brain cancer Hall of Fame

. "'The Kid' was an 11-time All-Star and a durable, consistent slugger for the Montreal Expos and the New York Mets, and he ranks among the most beloved players in the history of both of those franchises," Commissioner Bud Selg said in a statement. "Like all baseball fans, I will always remember his leadership for the '86 Mets and his pivotal role in one of the greatest World Series ever played."
Many stars come to New York and shrink on the big stage. Carter seized the platform from his very first game.

Last edited:
Gary Carter dies brain cancer Hall of Fame

. "'The Kid' was an 11-time All-Star and a durable, consistent slugger for the Montreal Expos and the New York Mets, and he ranks among the most beloved players in the history of both of those franchises," Commissioner Bud Selg said in a statement. "Like all baseball fans, I will always remember his leadership for the '86 Mets and his pivotal role in one of the greatest World Series ever played."
Many stars come to New York and shrink on the big stage. Carter seized the platform from his very first game.

My heart goes out to his family, I know firsthand how horrible this particular cancer is after losing my mom to it in 2009. Fuck cancer.

Although the 86 Mets bring gut wrenching pain into my day, hats off to the man.

For real.

Even though he helped keep game 6 alive for the Mets you hate to see someone die too early due to this.

I remember that at bat. First two Mets made out and Carter came up just thinking.....I'm not going to make the last out of the series

He kept fighting off pitches and finally stroked out a single. You could see Schiraldi start to choke after that

Definitely one of the greats of his generation. He was lucky to play when the man-perm was envogue ;)

For real.

Even though he helped keep game 6 alive for the Mets you hate to see someone die too early due to this.

I remember that at bat. First two Mets made out and Carter came up just thinking.....I'm not going to make the last out of the series

He kept fighting off pitches and finally stroked out a single. You could see Schiraldi start to choke after that

One of my cousins has twin daughters. I forgot who he was playing with at the time but they were in Arizona for spring training and he came to their school to talk to the baseball team. I guess it was high school. He hit some pop flies to the outfielders, and posed for some pictures--you know that sort of glad handing that pros do from time to time.

Anyway, my cousin's kids had an instructor who was a car guy. He drove this old T-bird. Apparently Carter was a car guy too and took him and the girls for a spin.

For real.

I'm glad I was only six at the time and not fully aware of the magnitude of the situation that was unfolding on the TV screen.

RIP Gary.

gary_carter_autograph.jpg

For real.

I'm glad I was only six at the time and not fully aware of the magnitude of the situation that was unfolding on the TV screen.

Yes, be grateful. This is how I feel regarding the 78 pennant race - but that is for another thread.

I didn't know he was an amateur draft.

For real.

i was at that game -- still the most amazing and exciting sports event ive ever been to -- and ive been to a few.

the story on that single that ive heard is that Carter, as was well known was very Christian and as part of his beleifs never used profanity. But when he got to first base on that single he just came out and said to the coach, I was not going to make the last fucking out of this series!!! What a great lesson in not giving up. God bless him.

Forum List

Back