Game of Thrones (HBO)

I never watched any of these series before The Sopranos. After getting into that, I watched Dexter, Californication, then a bunch of them.

GOT is one of my favs but there are a lot that take up the slack while you're waiting for next season. This coming Boardwalk Empire is the last season for it.

Why did they kill Eddard Stark? NOOOO.

The writers seem to have a penchant for killing beloved characters.

If they kill Tyrion, we ride at dawn.

I buy HBO and Showtime for the series now. I rarely watch the old movies they always have.

Although a lot of people tell me to watch True Blood. I've resisted so far and now it's the last season.

Wake, you should watch Boardwalk Empire. It is a good series, but this is the last season. Since you like Mafia, this should be your cup of tea. It is mine. :lol:

Big Brother comes on soon. At least that will take some time while I wait another year for GOT. Then Survivor again. Maybe Celeb Apprentice.

I just started two days ago. Finished Season 1 and 3 episodes of Season 2. What a riveting storyline.
That's the way to do it with any of these series. The week-long continuity interruption between episodes has a diluting effect.

I enjoyed Deadwood much more second time around via On Demand when I was able to watch three or four episodes in a row and finish an entire season over two or three consecutive days.

Cocksucker, I was pissed that they just pulled the plug on Deadwood without any conclusion
Me, too. That was disappointing. But disappointment is not uncommon with these tv series, some of which appear to be contrived as they develop rather than following a structured plan.

Breaking Bad is an outstanding example. In spite of the liberal exercise of fictional license the story line remained intact right up to the last two or three episodes. For me, fiction stepped across the line to fantasy in the episode where Hank was killed. The scene in which Hank survived a point-blank volley of gunfire by five obviously competent shooters aiming military-grade weapons at him made the difference between fiction and fantasy. The fact that he was finally dispatched by a single shot to the head didn't redeem the already flimsy credibility.

From there the plot devolved to the point where Superman crashing through a wall to save the day would not surprise me.

But up to then I did enjoy watching Breaking Bad episodes back-to-back On Demand.

I just started two days ago. Finished Season 1 and 3 episodes of Season 2. What a riveting storyline.
That's the way to do it with any of these series. The week-long continuity interruption between episodes has a diluting effect.

I enjoyed Deadwood much more second time around via On Demand when I was able to watch three or four episodes in a row and finish an entire season over two or three consecutive days.

Cocksucker, I was pissed that they just pulled the plug on Deadwood without any conclusion

Ian McShane starred in a series called Kings a few years after Deadwood ended. It was, IMO, a very enjoyable series....which was cancelled after the first season. :mad:

Ian McShane starred in a series called Kings a few years after Deadwood ended. It was, IMO, a very enjoyable series....which was cancelled after the first season. :mad:
Ian McShane is an accomplished Shakespearean actor.

The genius lending Deadwood its unique appeal was the blending of obscenity with virtual Shakespearean pentameter, the eventual result being the conversion of ordinarily offensive words into mere expressive sounds within unusually structured sentences. I regarded that effort as an interesting experiment in theatrical use of language but evidently the majority of Deadwood viewers felt differently, which probably led to that truly great series being cancelled.

(Cocksuckers!)

I never watched any of these series before The Sopranos. After getting into that, I watched Dexter, Californication, then a bunch of them.

GOT is one of my favs but there are a lot that take up the slack while you're waiting for next season. This coming Boardwalk Empire is the last season for it.
Rome was excellent!

Homeland was interesting -- and doubly so now with reference to Bowe Bergdahl's retrieval. They should run that series again.

Band of Brothers is one of the best tv productions I've ever seen. They run it back-to-back during Memorial Day weekend and I look forward to watching it year after year.

Lark Rise to Candleford was a wonderful BBC series. (I bought the CDs.)

Downton Abbey is another superb BBC series.

Parade's End is yet another example of BBC's matchless theatrical skills.

Mr. Selfridge, PBS was really good this year. The only other person on here I knew that watched it is Sherry tho.

I liked Masters of Sex too but I don't think it will be long running. Too quirky.

Forum List

Back