Game of Thrones (HBO)

The Wildling obvious want to escape the white walkers and other dangers North of the wall. Why not do a trade off. The Night's Watch numbers are down big time. Mance is also a wise leader. Require Mance and 500 of the best Wildling fighters, including all the giants to join Castle Black and the Night's Watch.

Require the rest to join Stannis army to fight the Boltons. Then the women, children and sick can start the village and farms just South of the Wall.

That is a win for everyone. The Night's Watch gets much needed skilled reinforcement. Stannis gets more troops for his conquers of Westros and the Wildlings get to go South of the Wall!

Yeah, how did Stannis Army get NORTH of the Wall?

He sailed to Eastwatch-by-the-Sea (there are many unmanned or poorly manned Night's Watch castles along the wall besides Castle Black). Eastwatch is the easternmost castle along the wall, and Stannis and his army then traveled west along the northern side of the wall in order to take Mance and the wildlings by surprise.

Are you getting this from the books or from summaries of the show? Just curious if the show is still following the books.

The Wildling obvious want to escape the white walkers and other dangers North of the wall. Why not do a trade off. The Night's Watch numbers are down big time. Mance is also a wise leader. Require Mance and 500 of the best Wildling fighters, including all the giants to join Castle Black and the Night's Watch.

Require the rest to join Stannis army to fight the Boltons. Then the women, children and sick can start the village and farms just South of the Wall.

That is a win for everyone. The Night's Watch gets much needed skilled reinforcement. Stannis gets more troops for his conquers of Westros and the Wildlings get to go South of the Wall!

How did they get to the Wall without Roose Bolton's knowledge. I mean, wouldn't Bolton have confronted Stannis if he knew we want coming. It would be hard to hide an army that large.

How did they get to the Wall without Roose Bolton's knowledge. I mean, wouldn't Bolton have confronted Stannis if he knew we want coming. It would be hard to hide an army that large.

Boats. The Ironborn are the seafarers near the north. the other Northerners have virtually no ship borne forces.

I watch this series but I have no idea of what is going on or who is who. It is totally confusing to me.

I'm glad the little fellow was sprung by his formerly evil brother, who has been screwing his sister, and I did appreciate the crossbow scene. That is a fearsome weapon at close range and a very satisfying way to end a relationship with someone you really dislike. I also liked the way Jon Snow's persistent little girlfriend met her poetic end. A demanding babe like that who knows how to pull a bow could make life rather tiring for a guy.

One thing that troubles me about this series is all the seeming good guys (and gals) get knocked off or tortured and there is little to no retribution. One major exception was the poisoning of Geoffrey -- who died much too quickly. That awful little sonofabitch deserved to worked over by pissed-off midgets with tool-boxes, matches, and lots of time.

Situations such as skeletons popping up from under the snow and attacking the crippled kid and his pals are annoying. Much more interesting and credible things could be done with the time wasted on such redundancies.

I like the way the chubby eunuch has managed to smuggle the little fellow out of town (on a boat, in a box). But now that he's already killed his evil father, why was it necessary? Who's in charge now? His evil sister?

Another disappointing development is the chap who has been very loyal and protective of the Keleesi (sp?) has been disowned and banished for reasons I either missed or simply don't understand. What did he do to deserve such rejection. He seemed a valuable friend to her.

I would find it thoroughly confusing if I hadn't read the books. mr. boe has quit watching for this reason.

I know it's taking a long time getting there...but this show is based on fantasy novels. It's ultimately a story about the reawakening of ancient magic (the Others, dragons, Children of the Forest, wights, giants, etc). It's going to be a battle of good vs. evil and there's going to be a lot of magic involved when it's all said and done. If you don't like the fantasy aspects, you're only going to get more disappointed as the show goes on.

Unless, of course, the show begins to deviate so seriously from the source material that they no longer resemble each other.

More like a battle of light/fire vs. dark/ice.

It's not a given that one is good and the other bad....

I know it's taking a long time getting there...but this show is based on fantasy novels. It's ultimately a story about the reawakening of ancient magic (the Others, dragons, Children of the Forest, wights, giants, etc). It's going to be a battle of good vs. evil and there's going to be a lot of magic involved when it's all said and done. If you don't like the fantasy aspects, you're only going to get more disappointed as the show goes on.

Unless, of course, the show begins to deviate so seriously from the source material that they no longer resemble each other.

I don't want too much fantasy. It was a bit much for me with the skeletons crawling outn of the ground. The dragons are ok.

Anyone know what happened to the third dragon?

I described GOT to mr. boe as being a medieval fantasy Zombie Apocalypse saga. That's how the White Walkers look to me, with some Zombie masters in the background.

Everyone knows that the best way to kill a zombie is to Burn It....hence the breeding of Big Dragons to do the job (that's my theory).

Why do you think he and Davos went to the Bank of Bravos for DINERO and to recruit Salladhor Saan (the pirate with many ships)?

He sailed to Eastwatch-by-the-Sea (there are many unmanned or poorly manned Night's Watch castles along the wall besides Castle Black). Eastwatch is the easternmost castle along the wall, and Stannis and his army then traveled west along the northern side of the wall in order to take Mance and the wildlings by surprise.

Are you getting this from the books or from summaries of the show? Just curious if the show is still following the books.

It's following the books fairly well, with modifications for drama.

For example, Robb Snow's wife's character was completely changed and augmented. In the book, she's just a mealy mouthed thing from a local castle without much or an individual role other than her family selling out the Starks to Walder Frey.

I don't want too much fantasy. It was a bit much for me with the skeletons crawling outn of the ground. The dragons are ok.

I described GOT to mr. boe as being a medieval fantasy Zombie Apocalypse saga. That's how the White Walkers look to me, with some Zombie masters in the background.

Everyone knows that the best way to kill a zombie is to Burn It....hence the breeding of Big Dragons to do the job (that's my theory).

Good theory about the dragons. I don't mind the fantasy, I just don't want it to get too out of hand and become silly.

More like a battle of light/fire vs. dark/ice.

It's not a given that one is good and the other bad....

Fair point. If anyone's going to take that fantasy trope and turn it on it's head, it's Martin.

Good theory about the dragons. I don't mind the fantasy, I just don't want it to get too out of hand and become silly.

I know people say this all the time and it's sort of obnoxious and yes I know that not everyone has the time or desire to read these books (can't blame people for that, they're monsters), but really, the books give a depth to the story that I think makes the fantasy aspects more palatable. I think that Martin does a great job of balancing the political drama with the magic parts, but part of what's so fascinating to me is what he has thus far left as a mystery.

For example, that scene where we see how the Others (White Walkers) are using the babies from Crasters? That was wholly new information to book readers. And HBO actually screwed up a little and accidentally named the guy doing the transforming. He's part of book lore, but you never really knew what it was he did. Martin creates these incredibly fleshed out histories, but shrouds them in enough mystery that you're constantly wondering why it's important, what actually happened, etc. It can be a slog (especially in books 4 and 5) but it's very much worthwhile, IMO.

From the books, because on this particular part the show has given no indication that they've changed the story of Stannis' journey. They did leave out some characters in that scene that I found a bit perplexing for the larger storyline though.

I know people say this all the time and it's sort of obnoxious and yes I know that not everyone has the time or desire to read these books (can't blame people for that, they're monsters), but really, the books give a depth to the story that I think makes the fantasy aspects more palatable. I think that Martin does a great job of balancing the political drama with the magic parts, but part of what's so fascinating to me is what he has thus far left as a mystery.

For example, that scene where we see how the Others (White Walkers) are using the babies from Crasters? That was wholly new information to book readers. And HBO actually screwed up a little and accidentally named the guy doing the transforming. He's part of book lore, but you never really knew what it was he did. Martin creates these incredibly fleshed out histories, but shrouds them in enough mystery that you're constantly wondering why it's important, what actually happened, etc. It can be a slog (especially in books 4 and 5) but it's very much worthwhile, IMO.

You're right about reading the books but I'm through so much of the show now, I haven't bothered. I may still at some point.

My sister has all the books and when she is done she is giving them to me to read. I like GoT, but a 10 episode season is killing me. I hate having to wait a year before we know what happens now. I wish they would have had more episodes per season.

I thought the best way to kill a zombie was a projectile through the brain?

I just started two days ago. Finished Season 1 and 3 episodes of Season 2. What a riveting storyline.

I just started two days ago. Finished Season 1 and 3 episodes of Season 2. What a riveting storyline.
That's the way to do it with any of these series. The week-long continuity interruption between episodes has a diluting effect.

I enjoyed Deadwood much more second time around via On Demand when I was able to watch three or four episodes in a row and finish an entire season over two or three consecutive days.

I caught all up on Spartacus and GOT with HBOgo before the next season started. Come to think of it, I did the same with LOST, via youtube. But that was when it was still on.

GOT is a good show. But waiting a whole year sucks. Wish they would do this stuff like they did Roots.

That's the way to do it with any of these series. The week-long continuity interruption between episodes has a diluting effect.

I enjoyed Deadwood much more second time around via On Demand when I was able to watch three or four episodes in a row and finish an entire season over two or three consecutive days.

Cocksucker, I was pissed that they just pulled the plug on Deadwood without any conclusion

Forum List

Back