Game of Thrones (HBO)

I never watched any of these series before The Sopranos. After getting into that, I watched Dexter, Californication, then a bunch of them.

GOT is one of my favs but there are a lot that take up the slack while you're waiting for next season. This coming Boardwalk Empire is the last season for it.
Rome was excellent!

Homeland was interesting -- and doubly so now with reference to Bowe Bergdahl's retrieval. They should run that series again.

Band of Brothers is one of the best tv productions I've ever seen. They run it back-to-back during Memorial Day weekend and I look forward to watching it year after year.

Lark Rise to Candleford was a wonderful BBC series. (I bought the CDs.)

Downton Abbey is another superb BBC series.

Parade's End is yet another example of BBC's matchless theatrical skills.

Rome: loved it, but it ended too soon. They two guys who are in the middle of everything are ancient Forest Gumps.

Downton Abbey has jumped the shark.

Parade's End was absolutely gorgeous - one of the best miniseries ever.

2 shows on Cinemax i think are pretty good....Banshee and Strike Back.....

I bought Starz one year just for Boss with Kelsey Grammar. It was so good but it's the only thing I watched on the channel so I dropped it. He's amazing as the Mayor of Chicago.

i have Starz for "Black Sails"....which wasnt to bad....and "Da Vinci's Demons" which i think is pretty good even though they have taken some creative leaps....

Black Sails was awesome. I enjoyed Spartacus when it was on!

a show they dropped that i thought was funny was "Lucky Louie"....True Detective was pretty good .....the shows i currently follow on HBO are...True Blood....Girls....Game of Thrones....Boardwalk Empire....i watched Hello Ladies but that got the boot....
I don't know how I managed to forget Boardwalk Empire in my list of favorite series but it holds a high place. I would not have thought Buscemi could handle a role like that but he showed himself to be a superior actor.

Boardwalk Empire was a great series!

I got very bored with Boardwalk Empire after they killed Darmody.

Best HBO shows in order:
(1) GoT (Just awesome)
(2) Wire (tough call - So close to real it was great)
(3) Rome (Only two seasons of gold. Still love it)
(4) Entourage (The bromance of these 4 was great)
(5) Curb Your Enthusiasm (Might be the funnest show in TV history)
(6) OZ (The writers ran out of material towards the end, but great material)
(7) Big Love (Made mainstream people accept plural marriage what more do you have to say)
(8) Sopranos (People would think this is low, but I think the last few boring seasons and the horrendous ending hurt the show)
(9) Six Feet Under (Most depressing ending in TV history. Great show though)
(10) Dream On (the classic show that started it all)

Note: Deadwood started great with season one, but got boring to me. Never watched True Detective, True Blood or Veep East Down and Bound. I was forced to watch Sex in the City it wasn't that bad, I just liked the other shows better.

Best Mini-Series:
(1) Band of Brothers
(2) The Pacific
(3) Generation Kill
(4) John Adams

I bought Starz one year just for Boss with Kelsey Grammar. It was so good but it's the only thing I watched on the channel so I dropped it. He's amazing as the Mayor of Chicago.

i have Starz for "Black Sails"....which wasnt to bad....and "Da Vinci's Demons" which i think is pretty good even though they have taken some creative leaps....

Black Sails was awesome. I enjoyed Spartacus when it was on!

Yes, it is awesome - can't wait for next season. Spartacus was excellent as well.

They had one about the mob in Miami and a hotel owner that I liked but I guess nobody else did. It got dropped. That was on Starz.

that was Magic City.....it needed more action.....i was surprised it lasted 2 seasons.....but i liked it just the same....

a show they dropped that i thought was funny was "Lucky Louie"....True Detective was pretty good .....the shows i currently follow on HBO are...True Blood....Girls....Game of Thrones....Boardwalk Empire....i watched Hello Ladies but that got the boot....
I don't know how I managed to forget Boardwalk Empire in my list of favorite series but it holds a high place. I would not have thought Buscemi could handle a role like that but he showed himself to be a superior actor.

still has one more season to go....

I got very bored with Boardwalk Empire after they killed Darmody.

Best HBO shows in order:
(1) GoT (Just awesome)
(2) Wire (tough call - So close to real it was great)
(3) Rome (Only two seasons of gold. Still love it)
(4) Entourage (The bromance of these 4 was great)
(5) Curb Your Enthusiasm (Might be the funnest show in TV history)
(6) OZ (The writers ran out of material towards the end, but great material)
(7) Big Love (Made mainstream people accept plural marriage what more do you have to say)
(8) Sopranos (People would think this is low, but I think the last few boring seasons and the horrendous ending hurt the show)
(9) Six Feet Under (Most depressing ending in TV history. Great show though)
(10) Dream On (the classic show that started it all)

Note: Deadwood started great with season one, but got boring to me. Never watched True Detective, True Blood or Veep East Down and Bound. I was forced to watch Sex in the City it wasn't that bad, I just liked the other shows better.

Best Mini-Series:
(1) Band of Brothers
(2) The Pacific
(3) Generation Kill
(4) John Adams

i agree G.....Curb Your Enthusiasm is one of the funnier shows out there.....i hear Larry is thinking about maybe doing it again.....so we will see....and OZ was excellent....

They had one about the mob in Miami and a hotel owner that I liked but I guess nobody else did. It got dropped. That was on Starz.

that was Magic City.....it needed more action.....i was surprised it lasted 2 seasons.....but i liked it just the same....

That was it. I like Jeffery Dean Morgan, he was the hotel owner, Ike. Not sure if you ever watched Grey's Anatomy but he was on that when it started. The heart patient that didn't have long to live and was Izzy's love interest.

I was watching Spartacus on Netflix because I didn't have Starz in my cable package. Then Starz dumped netflix and netflix did the rate hike. So hubby said I could have ONE premium channel...starz or HBO. I finally got HBO, but had to play catchup on hbogo because by then GOT already was in progress.

I ordered the dvd's of Spartacus...blood and sand, Gods of the arena. I did see the next season AFTER they escaped...but I just couldn't get in to it much, so didn't mind letting starz go.

I was watching Spartacus on Netflix because I didn't have Starz in my cable package. Then Starz dumped netflix and netflix did the rate hike. So hubby said I could have ONE premium channel...starz or HBO. I finally got HBO, but had to play catchup on hbogo because by then GOT already was in progress.

I ordered the dvd's of Spartacus...blood and sand, Gods of the arena. I did see the next season AFTER they escaped...but I just couldn't get in to it much, so didn't mind letting starz go.

Gods of the arena was pretty good....Gannicus was a great character....

I thought True Detective started off good because of the deliberately misleading introductory impression of the McConaughey character as an evil psychopath and building on that. Then they shifted the evil concept off McConaughey and onto the Harrelson character. Then they flipped both deceptions into what I consider a cliched conclusion.

All in all it was like smelling grilled steak all night and ending up with Corn Flakes. But the Harrelson and McConaughey performances kept it afloat. With lesser acting talent the whole thing would have been a plodding, tiresome bore.

I read recently that the creator thinks he'll end up doing 3 seasons of True Detective. Each season, apparently, is an entirely different story with different characters. Other than the tone and being about detective(s), I don't know if there's any connection between seasons.

I thought True Detective started off good because of the deliberately misleading introductory impression of the McConaughey character as an evil psychopath and building on that. Then they shifted the evil concept off McConaughey and onto the Harrelson character. Then they flipped both deceptions into what I consider a cliched conclusion.

All in all it was like smelling grilled steak all night and ending up with Corn Flakes. But the Harrelson and McConaughey performances kept it afloat. With lesser acting talent the whole thing would have been a plodding, tiresome bore.

I read recently that the creator thinks he'll end up doing 3 seasons of True Detective. Each season, apparently, is an entirely different story with different characters. Other than the tone and being about detective(s), I don't know if there's any connection between seasons.

i was reading a thing yesterday were McConaughy said he may be back, he enjoyed doing it....

Since my last post...I have been on HBOgo True Detective. Episodes 1 and still in Epi 3. Wow. Talk about dark and dreary. Very slow...but it still grabbed my interest. I will be watching it all day and tonight so I can finish.

Finished. Wow.
Sick story line. But I loved Woody and Matt together.
I highly recommend folks to watch it.

Forum List

Back