Game of Thrones (HBO)

As a side note, in case anyone doesn't already know about it: if you pay for HBO, you can access HBOGO through your computer, Xbox, or various streaming devices for free. HBOGO includes nearly every episode of every HBO original series on demand, as well as a rotating list of movies as well.

Is it just for watching stuff that's on demand? I'd rather watch it on the TV screen.

HBO Go has a much larger selection than HBO on demand through my cable box - and with my XBox, I can watch HBOGO on the big screen.

There are also a bunch of other devices you can buy to watch Netflix and HBO Go on the TV.

Ahh, okay. My nephew watches TV somehow through XBox. I think it's mostly Netflix. He's a poor college kid but a lot of people have talked about it so it must be ok.

Rome was excellent!

Homeland was interesting -- and doubly so now with reference to Bowe Bergdahl's retrieval. They should run that series again.

Band of Brothers is one of the best tv productions I've ever seen. They run it back-to-back during Memorial Day weekend and I look forward to watching it year after year.

Lark Rise to Candleford was a wonderful BBC series. (I bought the CDs.)

Downton Abbey is another superb BBC series.

Parade's End is yet another example of BBC's matchless theatrical skills.

Check out The Wire.......one of the best cop dramas ever

Loved Rome, wish it was longer

Band of Brothers and The Pacific were amazing

2 shows on Cinemax i think are pretty good....Banshee and Strike Back.....

I bought Starz one year just for Boss with Kelsey Grammar. It was so good but it's the only thing I watched on the channel so I dropped it. He's amazing as the Mayor of Chicago.

Rome was excellent!

Homeland was interesting -- and doubly so now with reference to Bowe Bergdahl's retrieval. They should run that series again.

Band of Brothers is one of the best tv productions I've ever seen. They run it back-to-back during Memorial Day weekend and I look forward to watching it year after year.

I have Band of Brothers on DVD...

I thought The Pacific was much more intense......check it out

As a side note, in case anyone doesn't already know about it: if you pay for HBO, you can access HBOGO through your computer, Xbox, or various streaming devices for free. HBOGO includes nearly every episode of every HBO original series on demand, as well as a rotating list of movies as well.
I pay for HBO. I tried to access HBOGO and couldn't. So I called my provider's service department and was told I can't get HBOGO, nor do I need to, because I have OnDemand.

I find OnDemand runs very few series and only for a brief time. And you are not the first to inform me that HBOGO has more. Unfortunately I can't access it -- or if there's a way I don't know how to do it.

I live a few miles from you and have Cablevision. Optimum allows you to link to HBOGO

HBOGO is awesome. Makes the price of HBO worth it. Every episode of every series they have had in the last 15 years. Huge choice of movies, documentaries and sports. You can watch on your computer or smartphone

I'd drop HBO if I couldn't get HBOGO

If anyone's interested in seeing something where Ian McShane personifies pure evil beyond his performance in Deadwood, watch Ken Follett's Pillars of the Earth.

PS. Few people who've watched HBO's Rome know this, but Lucius Vorenus and Titus Pullo actually existed. They served in the Legio XI Claudia, and were fierce rivals for promotion to First Spear centurion, yet became firm friends after saving each other's life during a battle with a Gaulish tribe called the Nervii. Little is known about Vorenus after Caesar recorded their bravery in his Commentarii de Bello Gallico, but Titus Pullo is recorded as aquitting himself with honour and bravery throughout his military career.

I never watched any of these series before The Sopranos. After getting into that, I watched Dexter, Californication, then a bunch of them.

GOT is one of my favs but there are a lot that take up the slack while you're waiting for next season. This coming Boardwalk Empire is the last season for it.
Rome was excellent!

The Wire was my favorite HBO show, it was a ton better than the Sopranos. Band of Brothers and the Pacific were awesome. HBO has so many good one. I started watching HBO shows with the classic Dream On (classic)!

If anyone's interested in seeing something where Ian McShane personifies pure evil beyond his performance in Deadwood, watch Ken Follett's Pillars of the Earth.

PS. Few people who've watched HBO's Rome know this, but Lucius Vorenus and Titus Pullo actually existed. They served in the Legio XI Claudia, and were fierce rivals for promotion to First Spear centurion, yet became firm friends after saving each other's life during a battle with a Gaulish tribe called the Nervii. Little is known about Vorenus after Caesar recorded their bravery in his Commentarii de Bello Gallico, but Titus Pullo is recorded as aquitting himself with honour and bravery throughout his military career.

Did Pullo really get Cleopatra pregnant?

Did Pullo really get Cleopatra pregnant?

Unlikely, seeing as he and his men switched sides and served under Pompey Magnus at the Battle of Pharsalus.

Okay, you guys talked me into it, I signed up. It is so easy. I'll play around with it this weekend to try and get it on my phone.

I bought Starz one year just for Boss with Kelsey Grammar. It was so good but it's the only thing I watched on the channel so I dropped it. He's amazing as the Mayor of Chicago.

i have Starz for "Black Sails"....which wasnt to bad....and "Da Vinci's Demons" which i think is pretty good even though they have taken some creative leaps....

Rome was excellent!

The Wire was my favorite HBO show, it was a ton better than the Sopranos. Band of Brothers and the Pacific were awesome. HBO has so many good one. I started watching HBO shows with the classic Dream On (classic)!

a show they dropped that i thought was funny was "Lucky Louie"....True Detective was pretty good .....the shows i currently follow on HBO are...True Blood....Girls....Game of Thrones....Boardwalk Empire....i watched Hello Ladies but that got the boot....

i have Starz for "Black Sails"....which wasnt to bad....and "Da Vinci's Demons" which i think is pretty good even though they have taken some creative leaps....

They had one about the mob in Miami and a hotel owner that I liked but I guess nobody else did. It got dropped. That was on Starz.

I had starz for one reason..>Spartacus. But after Andy Whitfield died...and they escaped. it didn't keep hold of my interest so I let it go.

a show they dropped that i thought was funny was "Lucky Louie"....True Detective was pretty good .....the shows i currently follow on HBO are...True Blood....Girls....Game of Thrones....Boardwalk Empire....i watched Hello Ladies but that got the boot....
I thought True Detective started off good because of the deliberately misleading introductory impression of the McConaughey character as an evil psychopath and building on that. Then they shifted the evil concept off McConaughey and onto the Harrelson character. Then they flipped both deceptions into what I consider a cliched conclusion.

All in all it was like smelling grilled steak all night and ending up with Corn Flakes. But the Harrelson and McConaughey performances kept it afloat. With lesser acting talent the whole thing would have been a plodding, tiresome bore.

I thought True Detective started off good because of the deliberately misleading introductory impression of the McConaughey character as an evil psychopath and building on that. Then they shifted the evil concept off McConaughey and onto the Harrelson character. Then they flipped both deceptions into what I consider a cliched conclusion.

All in all it was like smelling grilled steak all night and ending up with Corn Flakes. But the Harrelson and McConaughey performances kept it afloat. With lesser acting talent the whole thing would have been a plodding, tiresome bore.

Agree...it was more mood than substance

Kind of reminded me of Twin Peaks

Last edited:
I don't know how I managed to forget Boardwalk Empire in my list of favorite series but it holds a high place. I would not have thought Buscemi could handle a role like that but he showed himself to be a superior actor.

Boardwalk Empire was a great series!

Agree...it was more mood than substance

Kind of reminded me of Twin Peaks

I loved Twin Peaks. The beginning was great but after awhile, I just kept watching because I wanted to know how they'd present the killer and end it.

Only 2 other series I used to watch and I guess they never brought them back

Under the Dome

The Vikings.

Vikings is still going - season 2 this year was excellent. And they are planning season 3 for next year.

I buy HBO and Showtime for the series now. I rarely watch the old movies they always have.

Although a lot of people tell me to watch True Blood. I've resisted so far and now it's the last season.

I've watched all of TB to date, and will watch the final season, BUT

I Am So Sick of Sookie and Bill. I'd be happy to see them both die this season.

Eric and Alcide, however, yum! They are why I'm still watching.

Forum List

Back