Gabby Reece: Women being submissive is 'a sign of strength'

BlueGin

Diamond Member
Jul 10, 2004
In discussing her new book about her challenges as a mother and wife on TODAY Friday, former volleyball star and fitness advocate Gabrielle Reece said she believes women being submissive in a relationship is a sign of power rather than weakness.

In “My Foot is Too Big for the Glass Slipper,” she writes that “to truly be feminine means being soft, receptive, and – look out, here it comes – submissive.”

“I think the idea of living with a partner is ‘How can I make their life better?’’’ Reece told Natalie Morales. “So if I’m the woman and he’s the man, then yes, that’s the dynamic. I’m willing and I choose to serve my family and my husband because it creates a dynamic where he is then in fact acting more like a man and masculine and treating me the way I want to be treated."

Gabby Reece on marriage: Men communicate through food and sex

“I think because women have the ability to set the tone that the ultimate strength and showing real power, I believe, is creating that environment. I don’t think it’s a sign of weakness. I think it’s a sign of strength.’’

Gabby Reece: Women being submissive is 'a sign of strength' - TODAY.com

Er... sure. If that makes them happy.

My husband is secure enough in his masculinity that I don't need to act submissive for him. We support each other in an equal partnership without needing one of us to submit.

If you read Gabby's explanation...she is promoting a give and take relationship. She is just letting the man be the man.

Reece, who has been married to legendary big-wave surfer Laird Hamilton for 17 years, also clarified her definition of being submissive.

“He’s not saying, ‘Dinner on the table at six,’’’ she said. “We’re not talking about that. I’m saying, ‘Hey I’ll lift up my side, and I’ll do it happily,’ and also the expectation would be, or the hope would be, that he comes with the same attitude. Is it a form of service? Absolutely. But I think it’s the place I can express that part of myself and my personality.’’

I would have no problem letting the man take over the masculine role in the relationship, while I am the nurturer. Trying to dominate both roles is too draining and can cause resentment in both parties.

In any dominant/submissive relationship it is always the submissive that has all the power.

In any dominant/submissive relationship it is always the submissive that has all the power.

Which would be true to Gabby's point. Her role is setting the whole tone of the relationship...that is where all the power is. ;)

In discussing her new book about her challenges as a mother and wife on TODAY Friday, former volleyball star and fitness advocate Gabrielle Reece said she believes women being submissive in a relationship is a sign of power rather than weakness.

In “My Foot is Too Big for the Glass Slipper,” she writes that “to truly be feminine means being soft, receptive, and – look out, here it comes – submissive.”

“I think the idea of living with a partner is ‘How can I make their life better?’’’ Reece told Natalie Morales. “So if I’m the woman and he’s the man, then yes, that’s the dynamic. I’m willing and I choose to serve my family and my husband because it creates a dynamic where he is then in fact acting more like a man and masculine and treating me the way I want to be treated."

“I think because women have the ability to set the tone that the ultimate strength and showing real power, I believe, is creating that environment. I don’t think it’s a sign of weakness. I think it’s a sign of strength.’’

In a relationship, if a woman chooses to be submissive, I see no problem with that. However, having been a widow for 27 years now, and having chosen to be my own person rather than remarry, I know that many people try to generalize that Biblical concept of a good wife to women in society as a whole. Yet, our government is secular, and therefore women as individuals are really supposed to have equal rights under the law.

Point being ...a woman can be submissive without being weak. Strong does not = metaphorically castrating/belittling the male role. It's admitting there are differences to the mindset of each sex ,and letting the other person express themselves freely in that dynamic. In other words...neither sex has to be a control freak.

If you read Gabby's explanation...she is promoting a give and take relationship. She is just letting the man be the man.

Reece, who has been married to legendary big-wave surfer Laird Hamilton for 17 years, also clarified her definition of being submissive.

“He’s not saying, ‘Dinner on the table at six,’’’ she said. “We’re not talking about that. I’m saying, ‘Hey I’ll lift up my side, and I’ll do it happily,’ and also the expectation would be, or the hope would be, that he comes with the same attitude. Is it a form of service? Absolutely. But I think it’s the place I can express that part of myself and my personality.’’

I would have no problem letting the man take over the masculine role in the relationship, while I am the nurturer. Trying to dominate both roles is too draining and can cause resentment in both parties.

I read the article. I'm just not in favor of copying her myself.

That's fine if it works for someone else's marriage. I don't dominate my husband and he doesn't dominate me. We're partners. My parents marriage runs just fine this way and so has ours. I really don't see a need to style our marriage after something my great-grandparents did. We take turn with chores around the house and learn from each other. Neither of us are exhausted or resentful. We're happy and I look forward to many more years together.

Point being ...a woman can be submissive without being weak. Strong does not = metaphorically castrating/belittling the male role. It's admitting there are differences to the mindset of each sex ,and letting the other person express themselves freely in that dynamic. In other words...neither sex has to be a control freak.

Submissiveness to men is a Biblical concept intended for the institutin of marriage. Not for government. And certainly not for this country. I work in a female dominated profession and most places will pay men at leat $5 an hour more than they do women. Tolerating that shit does not make me strong. Knowing how to combat it within my profession makes me strong.

In any context other than marriage, the concept of female submission to men is horse shit. You can negotiate your marriage contract any way you want it. But you can't negotiate a subordinate place for me in society. As a single woman, I have as much right to support my family as well as any man.

Last edited:

Submissiveness to men is a Biblical concept intended for the institutin of marriage. Not for government. And certainly not for this country. I work in a female dominated profession and most places will pay men at leat $5 an hour more than they do women. Tolerating that shit does not make me strong. Knowing how to combat it within my profession makes me strong.

I don't have that problem. I work in a field where men and women are paid the same wage.

Excuse me while I puke.. :lol:

If you read Gabby's explanation...she is promoting a give and take relationship. She is just letting the man be the man. would have no problem letting the man take over the masculine role in the relationship, while I am the nurturer. Trying to dominate both roles is too draining and can cause resentment in both parties.
Bingo!
Man: Provider
Woman: Nurturer

Not to say Women CAN'T be providers but it's much easier for both people when they know their roles and can act natural.

My wife, who works too, says to me every once in a while "We may make decisions together inside the house, but when we go out I expect YOU to be the Man of the Family which means speaking for both of us".

You know how Manly that makes me feel when she says stuff like that? I love it!

In any context other than marriage, the concept of female submission to men is horse shit. You can negotiate your marriage contract any way you want it. But you can't negotiate a subordinate place for me in society. As a single woman, I have as much right to support my family as well as any man.

Then don't take the discussion out of context. No one was relating the concept of being submissive to "government" or "the work place" That was you.

If you read Gabby's explanation...she is promoting a give and take relationship. She is just letting the man be the man. would have no problem letting the man take over the masculine role in the relationship, while I am the nurturer. Trying to dominate both roles is too draining and can cause resentment in both parties.
Bingo!

Not to say Women CAN'T be providers but it's much easier for both people when they know their roles and can act natural.

My wife, who works too, says to me every once in a while "We may make decisions together inside the house, but when we go out I expect YOU to be the Man of the Family which means speaking for both of us".

Exactly. Men like being the protectors and providers. So, why not let them? I have always worked right along side my partners and shared responsibility on an equal level. But on certain things I have no problem letting go of the reins. Believe it or not, while I can take care of myself if needed. I do like being taken care of by a man also and I don't just mean finacially. I have no problem admitting it either.

Last edited:
Bingo!

Exactly. Men like being the protectors and providers. So, why not let them? I have always worked right along side my partners and shared responsibility on an equal level. But on certain things I have no problem letting go of the reins. Believe it or not, while I can take care of myself if needed. I do like being taken care of by a man also and I don't just mean finacially. I have no problem admitting it either.

That's a gross generalization. I just asked my husband. He doesn't need or want me to play a part that doesn't fit. Looking at the two of us, no one is confused which one is the man and which one is the woman. The whole breasts thing plays a part in that. But also, his walk needs a lot of work if he had any hopes of ever passing for a woman. No, he's definitely a man. There's no confusion here.

Forum List

Back