Gabby Gifford resigns from Congress

I'm not surprised at all. I actually expected this much sooner. She has a long way to go before she is back to her old self again.

Rep. Gabrielle Giffords (D-Ariz.), who was severely wounded just over one year ago in a shooting rampage, announced Sunday that she is resigning from Congress.

“I have more work to do on my recovery so to do what is best for Arizona, I will step down this week,” she told supporters in a video message. “I'm getting better, every day.”

Giffords says she will resign this week from Congress so that she can devote herself to her rehabilitation, which has been under way for more than a year since a bullet pierced her brain during the mass shooting in a Tucson parking lot that left six people dead.

Gabrielle Giffords to resign from Congress - John Bresnahan and Jonathan Allen - POLITICO.com

IT took courage (of sorts) to acknoweldge that the injuries make her job too difficult to perform properly.

Republican or Democrat, liberal or conservative, or anyone else anywhere in between (or further out) on the political spectrum who would do anything BUT wish her well is just a low life.

God Speed, Gabby.

Gabby is a special person, thoroughly lovable, and was probably competent in representation of her district. But it is obvious that she has not yet recovered from her injury and I agree with others that she needs to focus on that. She deserves every resource and encouragement in that process.

We need more dedicated public servants like her that actually gives a damn about doing the people's work. It is a shame that her career was cut short.

She's shown courage in more ways than one. Resigning was an act of courage. Continue to heal Mrs. Giffords Americas wishes you well.

Forum List

Back