GA School votes to hold graduation in Baptist Church

Discussion in 'Education' started by chanel, Jan 22, 2011.

1. chanel

chanel Silver Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,749
    Cherokee School Board Votes on Graduation Site

We have our graduation ceremony on the football field in order to accomodate everyone. If it rains, it's moved to the school and only parents can attend. I can't imagine a district having to pay more than $2000.

Comments?

2. strollingbones

strollingbones Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +31,893
    i think its a violation..i think 2000 is a lot to pay....i wonder if the church showed the income on their taxes....o wait they dont pay taxes but are competing with other venues .....unfair

3. goldcatt

goldcatt Catch me if you can! Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,331
    Dicey. That's a lot of cash just for a venue for a public school graduation, too. Methinks there's a LOT of information missing here.

4. Mini 14

Mini 14 Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +570
    Actually, that church is HUGE. If they're getting the entire church for $2000 for the day, its a bargain. They probably have parking for 2000 cars?

HUGE church.

Cherokee County is far enough North to be getting into the area where most of the residents are actually native Georgians, and not necessarily Atlantans. Still, I don't think it will fly there.

Pickens, Fanin, Gilmer, Union.....those counties......they could hand out Bibles instead of diplomas and no one would say a word, not even the Latinos. In fact, everyone would applaud (until Atlanta caught wind of it).

But Cherokee is close enough to Atlanta to have many "bedroom communities." All sorts of people there, and a large number of them work in or very near Atlanta.....close enough to be influenced by the political correctness of the big city.

Go a little farther North than Canton, and you'll start running into mostly Georgians, and not transients. Different set of principles up there, and those people are nothing at all like the residents of Atlanta. Thank God :)

5. chanel

chanel Silver Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,749
    It said the church is charging 2000K for ALL the ceremonies. How many schools in that district? Are they being honest about having no other options that size?

I'd like to know more about this story, because I have a real problem with outside agitators suing cash strapped schools. If non-Christian families oppose, then they should have a say. But if this is no concern to the students and parents, then they should mind their own fucking business.

6. Mini 14

Mini 14 Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +570
    For a church that size, I'd guess that $2000 is probably pretty close to their daily expenses to be open. I'm telling you, its a HUGE church!

7. Quantum Windbag

Quantum Windbag Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,221
    I think the amount of money is irrelevant to the church/state issue. My high school rented the University gym, and it was probably $2000 the 30+ years ago that I graduated. I don't think $2000 for a large building is unreasonable. I will also point out that that is for all the ceremonies the district has, and we have no idea how many schools are in that district. From the turnout at the meeting I would not be surprised if there is more than one school involved.

I also don't think it violates the separation of church and state. Renting a building to hold graduation is not sanctioning prayer, any religion, or anything religious. they can easily cover or remove any crosses or other displays that sanction a religion, just like Obama did when he spoke at Norte Dame.

People are going out of their way to find problems where none exist.

8. RadiomanATL

RadiomanATL Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,836
    It's just a building. One that happens to be large enough to accommodate people who wish to attend.

As long as the church members aren't preaching, I don't see a problem with it.

And it's $2,000 for ALL of the counties graduation ceremonies. 6 High schools and a couple of alternative vocational schools.

$2k for at least 8 different ceremonies? C'mon. A dirt cheap bargain.

9. chanel

chanel Silver Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,749
    The plaintiff is the "Alliance for the Separation of Church and State" My guess is that these lawsuits are pretty much all they do. Hence, they go out searching for these "problems" simply to justify their existence. Sleazebags.

10. rdean

rdean rddean

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14,902
    Georgia is above the national average on:
    Teens not in school and not working
    Teen dropouts
    Teen pregnancies
    Children in poverty

A perfect Red State.

Who cares where they graduate? It's not like they are going to promote education and science.

Georgia Extant Data on Children and Youth Who are Neglected, Delinquent, or At-Risk