G.O.P. Rep. Refers to Obama as ‘That Boy’

Long been viewed that way by yankees. The man that said it was a southerner (if you can call Kentucky souther) talking to a room full of southerners. This only racist if a yankee says it is. Boy is a referal of age not race.

Speaking as a southerner, you won't find a white man saying boy to a black man unless the black man is outnumbered. Or unless they are teens and just goofing around.

Speaking as a southerner, you won't find a white man saying boy to a black man unless the black man is outnumbered. Or unless they are teens and just goofing around.

Same as you find a White man saying it to white kids that don't belong him, n some way. I have already agreed that it s derogatory, but not racist.

The hell it is. That is a southern thing. If you don't understand it, then don't comment on it. The term "boy" is used all over the south to refer to people of all colors, including white. If that is racist, then Obama refering to his Grandmother as a "typical" white woman is racist as well.

I don't like McConnell, but he is not beng a racist here. He speaking among friends.

You're getting a little testy there, aren't you?

Ask any black man what it represents to him when a whilte man calls him "boy"... then get back to me.

Ask any black man what it represents to him when a whilte man calls him "boy"... then get back to me.

That's the part that kind of bothers me to be honest. It's as if what it represents to the guy that actually said it doesn't matter.

I could use just about any word in the dictionary in reference to a black person and make it sound racist and derogatory.

The only way to make any sense of it at all is for people to finally acknowledge that intent means waaaaaaaay more than word choice. Focusing on particular word choice is counterproductive and very easily twisted.

That's the part that kind of bothers me to be honest. It's as if what it represents to the guy that actually said it doesn't matter.

I could use just about any word in the dictionary in reference to a black person and make it sound racist and derogatory.

The only way to make any sense of it at all is for people to finally acknowledge that intent means waaaaaaaay more than word choice. Focusing on particular word choice is counterproductive and very easily twisted.

I think you have to take into consideration the meaning to the person you're saying it to. And I absolutely believe the guy's INTENT was demeaning. What I really believe is that's how he always refers to black men and probably didn't even realize he was doing it. But that's kind of the point. Things like nooses, calling people "boy", etc., have certain connotations.

So yes, words matter.

You're getting a little testy there, aren't you?

I agree its derogatory, but not racist. Ask a white southerner what it represents to him and get back to me. It means the same across the board.

Only testy cause I hate when yankees try to define our own dialect for us ignorant southern folk. Maybe its the indoctrination I recieved growing up in rural South Carolina. The War of Northern Aggression is still a sore spot down there.

I think you have to take into consideration the meaning to the person you're saying it to. And I absolutely believe the guy's INTENT was demeaning. What I really believe is that's how he always refers to black men and probably didn't even realize he was doing it. But that's kind of the point. Things like nooses, calling people "boy", etc., have certain connotations.

So yes, words matter.

Being a yankee, you would believe that. It is your preconcieved notion that all southern white men are racist to some degree. That is what this post says to me.

Being a yankee, you would believe that. It is your preconcieved notion that all southern white men are racist to some degree. That is what this post says to me.

can you show me one single example of a black man in the south referring to a white man in the south as "boy"?

just one single example shouldn't too hard to find.

can you show me one single example of a black man in the south referring to a white man in the south as "boy"?

just one single example shouldn't too hard to find.

You're kidding me right? Not everythng has a link a link to it. Somethings are simply accepted as common knowledge.

Forum List

Back