G.O.P. Rep. Refers to Obama as ‘That Boy’

You're kidding me right? Not everythng has a link a link to it. Somethings are simply accepted as common knowledge.

Are you a southerner? I've never heard a black person call a white person boy. And for the most part I've never heard a white person call a black person a boy to their face. Once or twice one of those charmers with the rubber balls hanging from the back of their pick up truck...

Apparently privileged white people really have a problem with white guys calling black guys boys, and intend to wave the "racism" flag eternally. Even though they have no connection to the parties involved, and have no concept of what racism is themselves, and live essentially white, white, white lives. I guess they achieve a sense of belonging by spazing out over minutia.

Let's clarify: White men can call white men "boy" and it's not racist. Black men can call black men "boy" and it's not racist. Black men can call white men "boy" and it's not racist.

It's only racist if a white man calls a black man "boy".

Likewise, black people can call each other "colored". Latinos can call blacks "colored". But if a white person dares to call a black person "colored" then that's racist.

If you fools would quit obsessing over this piddling stuff, it would not be an issue.

You're kidding me right? Not everythng has a link a link to it. Somethings are simply accepted as common knowledge.

COMMON knowledge? You mean like how it is COMMON knowledge that when a white dude in the south calls a black man three years his junior a BOY it is probably racist in intent?

oh.. not that common knowledge, eh?

YOu make the charge that calling each other BOY is just a southern thing and Im calling shennanigans. Can you provide one single example of anything (movie dialog, quote, anything from pop culture etc) to cite as evidence of such? I find myself in Atlanta, Nashville and the southern coast often and I have never in my lifetime seen a black man in the south call a white man a boy.

You're actually right on this issue but it's pretty funny to see you demanding a quote when you refuse to provide one yourself.

I'm sorry, but Obama looks like a little boy to me, too, and I can honestly see how someone could refer to him as such.

I was shocked when I found out how old he is. I think of him as a little kid, too.

You're actually right on this issue but it's pretty funny to see you demanding a quote when you refuse to provide one yourself.

I gave you the link to amazon dot com for the very book I was talking about.

Sorry if my testicles won't let me spoon feed you knowledge.

You're getting a little testy there, aren't you?

Ask any black man what it represents to him when a whilte man calls him "boy"... then get back to me.

But refering to killing whites and murdering God if he loves whites and going to that pastors church, that is just a misunderstanding, right?

I've used "boy" and "son" in a pretty positive connotation among my friends - black, white, Latino, and Asian.

That being said, I've also been called "son" in a derogatory way that left me pretty bitter.

In this instance, I would tend to believe it was intended in a derogatory - but not racial - way. Obama is a younger candidate and I think the "boy" term might have been used to jab his relative inexperience (on the national scene).

If it spins into a racial issue, I suspect we'll see Davis make a statement that he didn't intend the statement to be racial.

He was in the process of tearing down Obama's ability to lead the country, and called him a "boy". I was born in the South, raised in the South, and currently live in South Carolina. Racism is a major problem in South Carolina. If a 49 year old white man calls a 46 year old black man "boy", it is meant to be a racists and disrespectful comment. You simply don't call someone you don't know, boy, unless you are trying to piss them off.

He was in the process of tearing down Obama's ability to lead the country, and called him a "boy". I was born in the South, raised in the South, and currently live in South Carolina. Racism is a major problem in South Carolina. If a 49 year old white man calls a 46 year old black man "boy", it is meant to be a racists and disrespectful comment. You simply don't call someone you don't know, boy, unless you are trying to piss them off.

Trying to piss them off and throwing a derogatory term does not qualify for racism. When a black guy calls a white guy "beeotch," is that racist? No, derogatory, but not racist.

Trying to piss them off and throwing a derogatory term does not qualify for racism. When a black guy calls a white guy "beeotch," is that racist? No, derogatory, but not racist.

There is a very long history in the South (where Davis is from) of white men referring to black men as "boy". Davis knew this.

No 46 year old black senators are calling their white peers "bitches".

"beeotch" has a racial connotation? you shoulda said "cracker" or "honky" or "whitey" instead.

I'm afraid that this is still in the racist department in my book until I see one single piece of evidence of a black man calling a white man, in the south, BOY.

There is a very long history in the South (where Davis is from) of white men referring to black men as "boy". Davis knew this.

No 46 year old black senators are calling their white peers "bitches".

It was a simple comparison, bo. You obviously don't get what I'm trying to say. Lets just agree to disagree.

P.S. Go Braves.

I'm a Southern white boy, age 52. I might call my brother or my white male friends "boy", but I would never say that to any black male. The history is too clear to deny.

I have seen white men call black men "boy". I have never seen that done without hostitliy. The pigs who do that would never do it in a one-on-one confrontation; they know the reaction it would evoke.

I hope the next generation is better. But Davis and McConnell are of a generation where blacks were routinely diminished by whites, and "boy" was just one means of doing that.

The truly sickening part is the comfort they felt saying that publicly in a roomful of Republicans. I can only imagine how much worse they are in private.

I'm a Southern white boy, age 52. I might call my brother or my white male friends "boy", but I would never say that to any black male. The history is too clear to deny.

I have seen white men call black men "boy". I have never seen that done without hostitliy. The pigs who do that would never do it in a one-on-one confrontation; they know the reaction it would evoke.

I hope the next generation is better. But Davis and McConnell are of a generation where blacks were routinely diminished by whites, and "boy" was just one means of doing that.

The truly sickening part is the comfort they felt saying that publicly in a roomful of Republicans. I can only imagine how much worse they are in private.

AND they were applauded.

I disagree with the premise of your comparison and am still looking forward to seeing a single example of a black man calling a white dude BOY in the south. You'd think that the GOP would learn to stop ducking and weaving after Macacca Allen.

That fact that the GOPers are toting party lines really says something about their character.

Now if Al Gore had called Allan Keyes "that boy" we'd have the some folks up in cahoots.

Forum List

Back