FYI regarding Red Cross donations

dilloduck

Diamond Member
May 8, 2004
Austin, TX
All moneys donated and earmarked for Haiti MUST be spent on Haiti. If you want your donation to be flexible so it can be also used in other countries or to replenish local warehouses, earmark it to go to the International Disaster Relief Fund or your local chapter.

If a disaster strikes elsewhere tomorrow, none of the money earmarked to go to Haiti could legally be routed to help another country or local disaster.

All moneys donated and earmarked for Haiti MUST be spent on Haiti. If you want your donation to be flexible so it can be also used in other countries or to replenish local warehouses, earmark it to go to the International Disaster Relief Fund or your local chapter.

If a disaster strikes elsewhere tomorrow, none of the money earmarked to go to Haiti could legally be routed to help another country or local disaster.

Thanks for monitoring reality for me.

I earmarked my money "Christmas Party for Administrative Staff".

Ah well, my $50 will go to help somebody somewhere. Thanks for the info, dill o'duck. BTW are you Irish?

No sir but I can be if comes in handy ! Just thought people outta know the scoop about donations-----a lawsuit regarding Katrina donations devasted the Red Cross financial strategy for disaster planning.

Ah well, my $50 will go to help somebody somewhere. Thanks for the info, dill o'duck. BTW are you Irish?

No sir but I can be if comes in handy ! Just thought people outta know the scoop about donations-----a lawsuit regarding Katrina donations devasted the Red Cross financial strategy for disaster planning.
Do you have a link to that story? I'm not doubting your word...I just don't trust you. :lol:

As charities go, the Red Cross does pretty well with reported administrative and fund raising costs running between 10 and 15% of donations received which is acceptable. And yes they do good work in the field, but it has been my observation and hands on experience that much of what they do is for the benefit of the cameras and publicity in order to generate more contributions. Maybe they have to do that, but it still bugs me.

So, I generally give my donations to organizations like World Vision, the Salvation Army, Church World Service, etc. who have even lower administrative and fund raising costs, and who take care of the hungry, hurt, homeless, or otherwise needy whether there are any cameras around or not.

Thanks for monitoring reality for me.

I earmarked my money "Christmas Party for Administrative Staff".

Do they have a checkbox marked "liquor"? I got another $50 burning a hole in my pocket.

Forum List

Back