Fury over rare white lion being auctioned off 'to be shot by trophy hunters'

And you believe that was wrong? Why? What do their laws say?

Well. What Legal is very, very, seldom lawful, ding. Know what I mean?
No, what is legal is lawful. Maybe you are thinking of the word "fair."

Think of that lion as eminent domain. It isn't always fair, but it is legal and lawful.

And I dispute your assertion that what is legal is very, very seldom fair. Actually, it quite often is fair.

CnxlOqgW8AATJy5_1_.jpg

Trump-hunting-composite.jpg

Republicans love to kill species that are dying out. Makes them feel powerful and manly.

That tail looks tasty...

Think of that lion as eminent domain. It isn't always fair, but it is legal and lawful.

That's a very worldly way of looking at it, ding, considering the tenor here.

I'll stick to my previous thought on it, thanks.

That's a very worldly way of looking at it, ding, considering the tenor here.

I'll stick to my previous thought on it, thanks.
I don't disagree that it is a worldly way of looking at it. It is the world we live in. It is hard to see the benefits of things that we find distasteful. That doesn't mean their aren't there.

In the real world there is a quota of lions that they are allowed to harvest. It changes from year to year. From a conservation perspective, allowing this lion to be hunted and sparing one that can pass on his genetics is good conservation.

Last edited:
I've been in a couple discussions about this since I've joined. A lot of good conversation and articles supplied helped change my mind some. It's hard to think something so unpleasant could have benefits for the animals and people alike. But it does.
These people are fighting a desperate battle to help many species. Save them. The poachers are sadistic killers who often have more men, time and more money than the people fighting against them.

I don't disagree that it is a worldly way of looking at it. It is the world we live in. It is hard to see the benefits of things that we find distasteful. That doesn't mean they aren't there.

In the real world there is a quota of lions that they are allowed to harvest. It changes from year to year. From a conservation perspective, allowing this lion to be hunted and sparing one that can pass on his genetics is good conservation.

I'm not really against the conservation aspect of it. But the one in the cage, they should let it live. My two cents. And it's good PR. Nothing to be had by caging, selling, and hunting a domesticated white lion. It's not even hunting. Not really. It's more like shopping.

I don't disagree that it is a worldly way of looking at it. It is the world we live in. It is hard to see the benefits of things that we find distasteful. That doesn't mean they aren't there.

I'm not really against the conservation aspect of it. But the one in the cage, they should let it live. My two cents. Nothing to be had by caging, selling, and hunting a domesticated white lion. It's not even hunting. Not really. It's more like shopping.
Not for us to decide.

Yes, it is exactly like shopping to a certain degree. Not just for this animal though, all of the game that is taken legally. The guides/camps have a certain number of each species to sell. Hunters choose what they will take. They will pass on ones they deem are too small and unworthy of being mounted as a trophy. Sounds sort of like window shopping, right?

Poor feller.

From the article...

A rare white lion is set to be auctioned off to be shot by trophy hunters - in spite of a huge worldwide campaign to save him.

The majestic animal, named Mufasa, was confiscated three years ago when he was a cub, along with another baby lion called Soraya.

Animal lovers want to move him to a sanctuary, but authorities in South Africa have instead announced he will be sold at auction.

Because Mufasa is infertile, the only value he would have is to be bought by a hunting company and then shot.

Continued - Fury over rare white lion being auctioned off 'to be shot by trophy hunters'

Since it was infertile, what kind of life would it have? Kept in a cage? Or be killed to feed the village or be poached to make a coat?

Sometimes there really is no decent or fair answer :crybaby:
Oh, so is that what you do with your pets, when they must be put down? Pass around the hat to your friends, let the dog out in the backyard, and whoever shoots it gets the pot. Okay.

Poor feller.

From the article...

A rare white lion is set to be auctioned off to be shot by trophy hunters - in spite of a huge worldwide campaign to save him.

The majestic animal, named Mufasa, was confiscated three years ago when he was a cub, along with another baby lion called Soraya.

Animal lovers want to move him to a sanctuary, but authorities in South Africa have instead announced he will be sold at auction.

Because Mufasa is infertile, the only value he would have is to be bought by a hunting company and then shot.

Continued - Fury over rare white lion being auctioned off 'to be shot by trophy hunters'
they should have to wait until he dies of natural causes.

Poor feller.

From the article...

Since it was infertile, what kind of life would it have? Kept in a cage? Or be killed to feed the village or be poached to make a coat?

Sometimes there really is no decent or fair answer :crybaby:
Oh, so is that what you do with your pets, when they must be put down? Pass around the hat to your friends, let the dog out in the backyard, and whoever shoots it gets the pot. Okay.

No, I never said I agreed with it, but I am up for passing the hat and let you out in the backyard...…….

Poor feller.

From the article...

He needs to go to a sanctuary. He is rare and how nice to share with the world instead of killing him.

Forum List

Back