Furor Surrounding Ilhan Omar Remarks Intensifies National Debate Over Israel

Lakhota

Diamond Member
Jul 14, 2011
Native America
Activists have been criticizing Israeli policies towards Palestinians long before the Minnesota congresswoman.

NEW YORK (AP) — For Congress, the allegations of anti-Semitism directed toward Rep. Ilhan Omar have no precedent. Yet on college campuses, in state legislatures and in many other venues nationwide, the polarized debate about Israel is a familiar conflict and likely to intensify in the months and years ahead.

Fueled by a wave of youthful activists, including many Jews aligning with Muslims, criticism of Israel’s policies toward the Palestinians has grown in volume and scope, with persistent calls for boycotts and disinvestment. Pro-Israel organizations and politicians have countered with tough responses, and efforts to reconcile the differences have gained little traction.

Among those fearing escalation is Deborah Lipstadt, a history professor at Emory University and author of a new book, “Antisemitism: Here and Now,” about the recent resurgence of anti-Semitism in the United States and Europe. She calls herself an optimist, but she says it’s hard to be hopeful in the current political climate.

“Leaders on the left and the right are using this phenomenon as a way of drumming up support, claiming they’re victims,” she said. “I fear it will get far worse before it gets better.”

Congress has never experienced this kind of furor involving a Muslim member accused of anti-Semitism.

Omar, a freshman congresswoman from Minnesota, sparked turmoil within the Democratic caucus with her criticisms of Israel and suggestions that Israel’s supporters wanted lawmakers to pledge “allegiance” to a foreign country. Divided Democrats eventually drafted a resolution that condemned a wide range of bigotry and did not mention Omar by name.

One of the first two Muslim women in Congress, Omar supports a contentious part of the overall dispute — the Boycott, Divestment, Sanctions movement, or BDS, which promotes various forms of boycotts against Israel.

More: Furor Surrounding Ilhan Omar Remarks Intensifies National Debate Over Israel

This is a debate worth having - and long overdue. Arabs are also Semites, so anti-Semitism also applies to Palestinians. Does anyone not think that Palestinians have been discriminated against? What do you think?

I think a debate is good to have but it needs to be done without the inflammatory rhetoric of antisemitism and subsequent partisan one upmanship. Unfortunately, like the way Dems used racism, the Pubs are using antisemitism to make political hay. Does either truly want a constructive discussion?

Antisemitism applies only Jews even though there are other Semitic peoples. It is dishonest to distort the meaning that way.

I think a debate is good to have but it needs to be done without the inflammatory rhetoric of antisemitism and subsequent partisan one upmanship. Unfortunately, like the way Dems used racism, the Pubs are using antisemitism to make political hay. Does either truly want a constructive discussion?

I agree, but anti-Semitism applies equally to Jews and Arabs - including Palestinians. Most people ignore the fact that Arabs are also Semites. Google it...

Historically, American Jews have been at the forefront of social causes... from slavery to civil rights. American Jews are traditional supporters of the American labor movement and womens' rights. For this reason, many American Jews have been aligned politically with Democrats for several decades.

Another important issue for American Jews is the preservation of the state of Israel. The state of Israel represents the only counter to a legitimate existential threat to Jews all over the world. The continued existence and security of the State of Israel is an important issue to most American Jews.

Until the last decade or so, the Democrats have gone from being supportive (or at least neutral) on the issue of Israel to tolerating open hostility towards the Jewish State. In their eagerness to champion the Palestinian cause, they ignore the complexity of the issue and heap unfair and disproportionate criticism on the state of Israel. Often linking the political issues of the conflict between Israel and the Palestinians to the nature of Jews as a whole.

Lest we think this criticism is due (as many often claim) to the current politically conservative Israeli government, it is important to recall that the same criticisms were just as vehemently leveled at Israel and Israeli Jews even during the Barak and Olmert governments, two of the most politically liberal Israeli administrations in recent history.

As antagonism of Israel and Israeli Jews becomes more and more acceptable in Democratic circles, American Jews are presented with a choice. Should we continue to embrace the Democrats as they adopt these extreme positions because of our historic association with the party?

Or, should American Jews begin to support a party that seeks to protect Israeli sovereignty and the existence of the Jewish State.

This is the dichotomy that many American Jews face and it opens the real possibility of changing the nature of American Jewry in the decades to come.

Last edited:

I agree, but anti-Semitism applies equally to Jews and Arabs - including Palestinians. Most people ignore the fact that Arabs are also Semites. Google it...

No. It really does not. Antisemitism specifically targets Jews and only Jews because they are Jews and has a very long history, it never targeted other Semitic people.

That doesn’t mean there isn’t bigotry and “isms” against Arabs but it is not Antisemitism.

Antisemitism applies only Jews even though there are other Semitic peoples. It is dishonest to distort the meaning that way.

For 150 years, since the term was first coined to describe anti-Jewish hatred in 19th Century Europe, Antisemitism has been used to describe hatred of Jews, not other Semitic peoples.

The term, and the custom of referring to Jews as 'semites' was originally pejorative. It expresses the belief that Jews, no matter how assimilated into European society they were, genetically Semitic peoples and therefore could never become part of European society. Just as many Antisemites today claim that Jews cannot be consider Caucasian due to their Semitic ancestry.

You are correct in pointing out the dishonesty of taking the universally accepted definition of a word and redefining it to negate its intent and meaning.

No. It really does not. Antisemitism specifically targets Jews and only Jews because they are Jews and has a very long history, it never targeted other Semitic people.

That doesn’t mean there isn’t bigotry and “isms” against Arabs but it is not Antisemitism.

Just because Jews have hijacked the phrase "anti-Semitism" doesn't mean it doesn't apply equally to Arabs - and Palestinians.

You couldn't be more wrong ... Google it.

Ernest Renan - Wikipedia

Just because Jews have hijacked the word doesn't mean it doesn't apply equally to Arabs - and Palestinians.
It wasn’t hijacked.

It was a term created by Europeans to marginalize Jews.

Jews have hijacked

Yep, you're right, no antisemitism in the Democrats. No sir-ree ... none at all.

Nothing-to-See-15a34a2fc727c8.jpg

Just because Jews have hijacked the word doesn't mean it doesn't apply equally to Arabs - and Palestinians.
It wasn’t hijacked.

I understand that - but it is not an accurate expression. Anti-Jewish would be much more accurate. How about anti-Palestinian?

How about anti-Palestinian?

That's another term that has gone through an evolutionary change in the past 100 years.

For centuries, the term 'Palestinian' referred to any inhabitant of the region, Arab, Jew, Druze, Buddhist, or Episcopalian.

Upon the creation of the State of Israel in 1948, the term came to refer to non-Jews residents of the region. With the rise of Palestinian nationalism (whose most influential leader was an Egyptian), the term has been redefined (hijacked if you will) to mean only Arab Palestinians.

It wasn’t hijacked.

I understand that - but it is not an accurate expression. Anti-Jewish would be much more accurate. How about anti-Palestinian?

It may not be accurate in today’s terms but it is an old term and was “accurate” for the purpose for which it was created: inferring otherness for one specific group of people.

It wasn’t hijacked.

And how’s this important? You’re quibbling over semantics, and have been for years?

Dumbass

Forum List

Back