Fukuoka

After 9 days, only the two Yokozuna remain undefeated. The excitement is building as we move toward the final days and a possible Yokozuna showdown to decide it all!

After 9 days, only the two Yokozuna remain undefeated. The excitement is building as we move toward the final days and a possible Yokozuna showdown to decide it all!

Both Yokozuna now 10-0. Osuraanashi is 5-5, respectable for your first time as a magashira. Endo is 4-6 and his sumo is improving as the basho goes on.

Both, barring any major loss streak over the last 5 days should stay in the division.

Both Yokozuna still undefeated, the Endo and Osuraarashi won and have a shot of staying in the top divison, and Chiyotairyu (Mag#6) is making a push for Sanyanku rank. He gets to play with the Ozeki's and if he keeps winning a Yokozuna soon, so lets see how that lasts.

Last edited:
Aoyama gave Kisenosato a tough match, but fell short. He's still one win away from his kachikoshi.

Aoyama gave Kisenosato a tough match, but fell short. He's still one win away from his kachikoshi.

Yep, but he should be facing at least one more rikishi lower ranked then him, so getting his kachikikoshi shouldnt be too hard.

Sumo | Sports | The Japan Times

Looks to be heading for a Yokozuna showdown to decide it.

Haramafuji falls to Kisensato, falling to 12-1. As long as haramafuji wins today then the Yokozuna fight will mean something, be it outright victory or a tiebreaker.

Endo looks like he will drop in rankings with 8 losses, Osuraarashi needs one more to move up. He looks like he is learning quick after a slow start.

Wow. In a surprise (to me) ending, Harumafuji defeats the great Hakuho to take the championship! Looks like calls for Harumafuji's retirement will be pushed back yet again.

Exciting stuff.

Wow. In a surprise (to me) ending, Harumafuji defeats the great Hakuho to take the championship! Looks like calls for Harumafuji's retirement will be pushed back yet again.

Exciting stuff.

Hakuho just barely got pushed out, it was a great call by the gyoji.

In other news Osuraarashi gets to 7-8, probably enough for him to stay in as a magashira #16.

The big news item before the next Basho is will Kotooshu accept a demotion to sekewake or will he retire?

Exciting stuff.

In other news Osuraarashi gets to 7-8, probably enough for him to stay in as a magashira #16.

The big news item before the next Basho is will Kotooshu accept a demotion to sekewake or will he retire?

If he gets 10+ wins in January he will automatically be returned to Ozeki. Considering retirement would only make sense if he falls short of that. Of course, many former Ozeki have gone on to have very long careers after falling from the rank. It's only Yokozuna who have to retire if they lose their rank.

The really big news item next time will be Kisenosato's big for Yokozuna promotion. A long shot if you ask me, but the Sumo Association is desperate for a home-grown Grand Champion.

Kisenosato primed for yokozuna promotion bid | The Japan Times

Exciting stuff.

If he gets 10+ wins in January he will automatically be returned to Ozeki. Considering retirement would only make sense if he falls short of that. Of course, many former Ozeki have gone on to have very long careers after falling from the rank. It's only Yokozuna who have to retire if they lose their rank.

The really big news item next time will be Kisenosato's big for Yokozuna promotion. A long shot if you ask me, but the Sumo Association is desperate for a home-grown Grand Champion.

Can they award Yokozuna without the 2 championship wins?

As for Kotooshu, I have a feeling his injury will be the telling factor. Look at Baruto.

Then can. The rules are not hard and fast. If he were to take the yusho in January with at least 13 wins they'd consider it.

Then can. The rules are not hard and fast. If he were to take the yusho in January with at least 13 wins they'd consider it.

They must be really hard up for a Japanese Yokozuna then. I guess they are intentionally forgetting the "buyer's remorse" some of them are feeling over Harumafuji.

Although having 3 Yokozuna's would be kind of cool.

Forum List

Back