From Pig Poop to Crude Oil

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Adam's Apple, Aug 27, 2006.

1. Adam's Apple

Adam's Apple Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +447
  2. Stephanie

Stephanie Diamond Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +27,359
    Oh :poop: AA, it's a register only site.... How are we suppose to comment on the :poop: article, if we can't read about the :poop:

I'm a just a fooling around with ya..
    But it is a register site, and I'm damn sure not registering with them to read the article. so could yu post the article.......Or not......

3. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    Comes with my dead tree subscription:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nationworld/chi-0608130329aug13,1,7848373,print.story

4. Stephanie

Stephanie Diamond Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +27,359
    Thanks Kat....And thank you AA for bringing it to the board...

Well....I guess that theory about if you smelt it, ya dealt it?

Ok, on a more serious note...
    If it can be used do it..

I'm all for recycling all of anything that can be....
    But, it's still probably not enough to really make a diff. but anything will help I suppose......

5. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    I think 'we' need to figure something out, soon:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/...ug27,0,2954646.story?coll=chi-newsopinion-hed

6. Bonnie

Bonnie Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +669
    "Master Blaster Runs Barter Town"

Seriously there is a group of farmers who were not making any money with corn, so they put their life's savings into a company that converts corn into Ethinol...Right, in the first year they were so successful in their limited marketing abilities, they had to re-invest their profits into building a larger facility, and in the span of 3 or so years are wealthy, successful, and doing something great for America. Personally I'd pay the money to have my car retrofitted to accommodate burning Ethanol fuel if it were made available to me.

7. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    Well being a corn state, all Illinois fuels except diesel, are at least 10% ethanol. I'm not sure that it's all that effective though in the long run. We can't turn over all farm land for raising corn for cars. We gotta eat! :food1:

Popular Science has been researching and reporting on alternatives, second to none.

8. Bonnie

Bonnie Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +669
    All we need do is have some serious effort put forth, imagine how nice it would be to not have to depend on anyone for fuel?? Secondly to pay less for it? Self sufficiency is always best!!

9. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    I agree. While normally against 'government incentives' in this case I'm all for incentives to oil companies, universities, whomever, if they will go for a Manhattan like laser focus on solutions and implementation.

10. BaronVonBigmeat

BaronVonBigmeat Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +160
    Thermal depolymerization is a pretty cool process, and it's profitable without subsidies. There isn't enough waste to supply all our energy needs though of course. But it is a pretty good way to eliminate landfills, and it really makes recycling (well, sorting your trash into 10 different containers) a complete waste of time. The TDP sorts everything for you. We can all laugh at the hippies and their insistence on recycling now.

Ethanol sucks though. The only reason anyone makes money at it is because it's so heavily subsidized. And the reason it has to be subsidized is because you use up more petroleum creating it than you save. One step forward, two steps back is not the way to go. And then you'd have to plow under all of america, and instead of wild swings due to the middle east, we'd have wild swings in price due to droughts and crop failures.

I'm thoroughly amazed that we haven't gone to compressed natural gas yet. Throw in 5%~7% hydrogen for improved burn characteristics and you've got the perfect fuel. Yeah, your car would be somewhat heavier and you'd have less luggage room. That's assuming a 3,000 PSI tank which is commonly available now, you'd need 10,000 PSI tanks and filling stations to match the density of gasoline (which are available now, just not super cheap). Yeah, your car would cost more. But you'd pay half as much per mile or less, your engine would last far longer and use less oil (no carbon buildup), and smog would be a thing of the past. You wouldn't even need catalytic convertors and fancy computers and all that crap. We probably should have started making the transition during the 60's.