From Global Warming to Mini Ice Age?

Discussion in 'Environment' started by Gatekeeper, Jan 12, 2010.

1. Gatekeeper

Gatekeeper Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +350
    "According to the US National Snow and Ice Data Centre in Colorado, Arctic summer sea ice has increased by 409,000 square miles, or 26 per cent, since 2007 – and even the most committed global warming activists do not dispute this."

DAVID ROSE: The mini ice age starts here | Mail Online

Another chapter in the misunderstanding of planet evolution. Does anyone really know?
    One side says it is,it is, the other says it isn't, it isn't and some in the same groups say who the "F" knows. And some try profiteering from the confusion.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2010
  2. Old Rocks

Old Rocks Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,315
    Damn, you guys take a screed from a non-scientist, and act like it is the gospel. 2009 will rank somewhere between the 5th and 2nd warmest year on record. Nine of the warmest years on record have happened since 2000. The single exception is 1998.

You are predicting a little ice age.

I will predict two years in the next five that exceed 1998.

So we will see who is correct.

3. Gatekeeper

Gatekeeper Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +350
    :lol: Nahh I am just an observer in the Global Warming fiasco. Although I do have MY thoughts, which are not influenced by others, I love how some scientists take a sample of a few hundred years out of 4 billion plus and draw a conclusion. Like trying to find the 'average' using a sample poll of one (1), really quite amusing. Stats require a specific 'n' population in order to reach a valid, or what seems to be a valid conclusion. "Trending', or sampling a few hundred years out of 4BIL is ridiculous, specially when from say the 1200's to the 1700's the weather patterns varied up and down with severe winters and some cases virtually no summers temperature wise etc. And then there is the ultimate 'variable', out of nowhere an event occurs that changes the game rules, such as volcanic eruptions etc. I guess the ancestors of AG would have blamed it on 'animal and human exaust gases'

4. RetiredGySgt

RetiredGySgt Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,971
    Once again from 1998 to present the overall rise in temperature from the previous hundred years was just over 1 degree, with about 1/3 of a degree occurring in a short 15 year period. No noticeable warming has occurred since 1998.

I keep schooling you dumb asses. OF COURSE the last 10 years are the warmest on record, the TEMPERATURE WENT UP. The average went up because of it. But don't forget that there has been NO NOTICEABLE rise in temperature since the end of 1998.

5. Gatekeeper

Gatekeeper Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +350
    Point well taken, at least I am not a Smart Ass......:lol:

6. concept

concept Evil Mongering

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +340
    :lol:

Except that the data you are fed is manipulated and corrupted.

And you buy it completely. That is a never ending source of humor to me.

7. Skull Pilot

Skull Pilot Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,080
    If we are indeed at the peak of a warming trend, then of course the most recent years will have been the warmest.

Truth is , you have no ability to predict with any certainty that the next decade will be warmer than the last.

If it is colder, then you will claim it wasn't as cold as it would have been because of global warming.

8. Dick Tator

Dick Tator Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6
    1998 happened after 2000? :lol:

9. OregonStream

OregonStream Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3
    The reason for 1998's exceptional anomaly (in the CRU dataset so untrusted by some of the same global coolists highlighting it) has been explain to RetiredGySgt at least twice now. It's remains scientifically invalid to compare individual years when you're talking about climate trends. AKA departure from a multi-decadal base average. You can include 1998 in the averages, but not cherry-pick it as a starting point. It represents a period biased by short-term "internal" variability (part of the black line):
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 13, 2010
  10. CrusaderFrank

CrusaderFrank Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +36,991
    Isn't citing CRU data a lot like including the Piltdown Man in mankind's Family Tree?

Last edited: Jan 12, 2010