Freedom of speech and George W. Bush

L

Lou_Sir

I’m very disappointed in the fact that freedom of speech has been restricted during the Bush administration. Republicans have created an oppressive climate where critical opinions of Bush are suppressed and labeled unpatriotic whereas having blind faith in Bush’s foreign policy is considered patriotic. Those people who are attacking people like Michael Moore for attacking Bush are un-American because they don’t respect the fact that in America people have the right do speak their mind. America would have lost its reputation as the land of the free if Disney Co. had succeeded in banning Fahrenheit 9/11. If narrow-minded people start to censor films like Fahrenheit 9/11 by using the excuse that they weaken the nation, then America will take its first steps towards becoming a totalitarian police state. The concept of personal freedom is what America is all about and people like Michael Moore are boldly exercising their freedom of speech. A person is not anti-America or unpatriotic just because he happens to disagree with George W. Bush. Being patriotic isn’t entirely a republican thing. Without doubt Fahrenheit 9/11 is leftist propaganda, but how come pro-Bush propaganda is more acceptable than anti-Bush propaganda? How come people don’t criticize CNN or Fox News for spreading the same pro-war propaganda the White House’s propaganda machine spews out? How come nobody criticized the way the news were censored in the Iraq war? Some Republicans are trashing Michael Moore for distorting facts, but how come people don’t hold Bush responsible for lying to the American people and misleading them into war? Those people who think Fahrenheit 9/11 weakened the nation underestimate the greatness of America. America is a democracy where people have the right to disagree with their government and right now citizens are more than entitled to be critical of Bush because he has made some big mistakes.

Originally the main reason for the war was to disarm Saddam Hussein from weapons of mass destruction, but Bush had to change his excuse from WMD to liberating the Iraqi people from the tyranny of Saddam’s regime because there were no WMD in Iraq. Saddam Hussein was a rotten dictator but he didn't have anything to do with 9/11 and therefore it's misleading to connect the war in Iraq with the global war on terror. What was the real reason for the war then? Could it be possible that Bush invaded because of oil? It would be naive to underestimate the power of money in Washington. Deputy secretary of state Paul Wolfowitz admitted that the Iraq war was all about oil. He said, “The most important difference between North Korea and Iraq is that economically we just had no choice in Iraq. The country is swimming in oil”. He also said weapons of mass destruction were just a “bureaucratic” excuse for war. It’s no secret that Dick Chaney, Paul Wolfowitz, Condoleezza Rice and several other members of the Bush administration have ties to the oil industry, but unfortunately CNN and Fox News have kept quiet about Dick Chaney’s ties to Halliburton. Michael Moore’s greatest achievement in Fahrenheit 9/11 is the fact that he manages to shatter false images people have of Bush. Most people think Bush is just an ordinary guy but that misconception is completely based on image. Bush is an oil millionaire and oil millionaires aren’t “regular guys”. Fahrenheit 9/11 reveals that Bush seems to care more about his golf swing than protecting America from terrorists. In fact, Bush’s reputation for being tough on terror is entirely based on image, not reality. Even the State Department admitted that there was an increase in terrorist activity last year. So how exactly has Bush made the world safer if there is now more terrorism than before the Iraq war? The Bush administration did a big favor for bin Laden by focusing on Iraq instead of tracking down members of al Qaeda in Afghanistan. In other words, al Qaeda is getting stronger while the U.S. is wasting its resources in Iraq. The most frightening thing about Bush is the fact that he has a politically motivated ability for self-deception, but that ability is mistaken for decisiveness in a twisted sort of way.

jimnyc said:
Where has it been restricted?
I'm wondering that too since for the past 3 1/2 years all I hear is shit talked about the President by the Dems. As a matter of fact, I feel like there's TOO MUCH freedom of speech allowed, but that's just me. :D

Lou_Sir said:
I’m very disappointed in the fact that freedom of speech has been restricted during the Bush administration.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

:rotflmao: :happy2: :rotflmao: :happy2:

Thanks for the laugh.

REPUBLICANS have restricted freedom of speech??? Now that's a hoot. Seems to me libs like you with your fascist speech codes and nazi-like demands for politically correct behavior shouldn't be throwing any stones.

Tell me, which party is it that has shysters trying to intimidate TV stations from running certain political ads paid for by private citizens?

Which party is it that champions "hate crime" legislation?

Which party is it that seeks to take guns away from every American?

Which party is it that seeks to subvert our national sovereignty to the UN?

Which party is it that would have done nothing except posture and make speeches following the attacks on 9-11?

I could go on, but you're just not worth it. I will give you this - I've never seen anyone type so many words and say so little with them.

Merlin1047 said:
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

:rotflmao: :happy2: :rotflmao: :happy2:

Thanks for the laugh.

REPUBLICANS have restricted freedom of speech??? Now that's a hoot. Seems to me libs like you with your fascist speech codes and nazi-like demands for politically correct behavior shouldn't be throwing any stones.

Tell me, which party is it that has shysters trying to intimidate TV stations from running certain political ads paid for by private citizens?

Which party is it that champions "hate crime" legislation?

Which party is it that seeks to take guns away from every American?

Which party is it that seeks to subvert our national sovereignty to the UN?

Which party is it that would have done nothing except posture and make speeches following the attacks on 9-11?

I could go on, but you're just not worth it. I will give you this - I've never seen anyone type so many words and say so little with them.

Beautifully said!! :hail:

There is a great quote on the banner for factcheck.org. I couldn't get the page to load, so I can't credit it because I can't remember his name, but it seems to be a proper response for the post that started this.

"Everyone has a right to their own opinion, but not their own facts."

Lou_Sir said:
I’m very disappointed in the fact that freedom of speech has been restricted during the Bush administration.

I'll second that. Where has the government restricted Freedom of Speech?

Republicans have created an oppressive climate where critical opinions of Bush are suppressed and labeled unpatriotic whereas having blind faith in Bush’s foreign policy is considered patriotic. Those people who are attacking people like Michael Moore for attacking Bush are un-American because they don’t respect the fact that in America people have the right do speak their mind.

Well here's your test. Has Moore a) been shut up, shackled and shipped off to a gulag to rot away, b) Been executed on the spot for his propaganda film or c)was able to make millions of dollars off of a slanderous movie because he lives in the greatest nation on Earth that DOES NOT attack a person's freedom of Speech.

America would have lost its reputation as the land of the free if Disney Co. had succeeded in banning Fahrenheit 9/11. If narrow-minded people start to censor films like Fahrenheit 9/11 by using the excuse that they weaken the nation, then America will take its first steps towards becoming a totalitarian police state.

When did Disney try to BAN F9/11? Last i heard they decided not to carry it for Financial reasons. They are a business and can run their company anyway they please. Im begining to see that you have no understanding of Freedom of Speech.

The concept of personal freedom is what America is all about and people like Michael Moore are boldly exercising their freedom of speech. A person is not anti-America or unpatriotic just because he happens to disagree with George W. Bush. Being patriotic isn’t entirely a republican thing. Without doubt Fahrenheit 9/11 is leftist propaganda, but how come pro-Bush propaganda is more acceptable than anti-Bush propaganda? How come people don’t criticize CNN or Fox News for spreading the same pro-war propaganda the White House’s propaganda machine spews out?

Ok your done. CNN is as close to the Republican party as Al Gore. As for Fox News, ah fuck it this thread is over. You have no concept of reality whatso ever.

vrrrrrrrrrrrrrrooooooooo...screeeeech click click click ZOOM!!!

Yet another drive by, copy/paste, post by our friends at moveon.org. Wonderful!

:trolls:

On a side note, I must point out that while you have the right to say just about whatever you want, I have the right to call you stupid when you do.

Hobbit said:
vrrrrrrrrrrrrrrooooooooo...screeeeech click click click ZOOM!!!

Yet another drive by, copy/paste, post by our friends at moveon.org. Wonderful!

:trolls:

On a side note, I must point out that while you have the right to say just about whatever you want, I have the right to call you stupid when you do.

One post wonder, thank heaven!

Forum List

Back