Free Speech? Whats that?

My friend made the mistake of bashing his boss on facebook, without remembering that he had added him as a friend. He got fired.

"Free Speech" doesn't protect you from the consequences of that speech.

Ummm no.

Since when should your job be contingent on your political leanings or support for one administration or another?

Since you advocated for it.

Remember, [MENTION=43268]TemplarKormac[/MENTION]?

Dennis Miller tells small business owners to fire Obama supporters

Actually, while it would be an act of workplace discrimination, it would serve as a life lesson for those who advocate policies that hurt their employers. I mean come on, you want to keep your job but you vote for and espouse job killing philosophies.

In some ways you would deserve it.

Yikes!

My friend made the mistake of bashing his boss on facebook, without remembering that he had added him as a friend. He got fired.

"Free Speech" doesn't protect you from the consequences of that speech.

There is a quantum difference in bashing your boss and criticizing the government. Bashing your boss is bad judgment. Criticizing the government is a First Amendment right.

quantum difference, eh?

i don't think that means what you think it means.

As we all know, our government includes congress as the legislative branch, so anything that applies to congress applies to the government or vice versa. The "At will" doctrine is flawed here as well, since if it is said he was "representing the government" that government being one that espouses free speech, it would mean his government fired him for something it claims to support.

You are undergoing paralegal training and have attend government and history college classes, and you write this.

Good heavens.

I love how some people can't seem to tell the difference between Public Employers and Private Employers.

But hey... That 's one less person on the Government payroll.

White House staff, selected by the administration, serve at the pleasure of the President of the United States of America.

they are At-Will employees and can be fired for any reason.

Forum List

Back