Francis Keys bridge hit by ship. Bridge collapses, mass casualty event.

No, wrong yet again. A ship could do it on a broad reach. Go ask your dad. I'm finished with you if you can't stop being petulant and contrary.
Don't go using jargon non-sailors and non-boaters won't understand without an explanation. For the less knowledgeable people, a broad reach is a heading that has the wind coming across the boat at about a forty-five-degree angle to the stern (rear) of the boat. The flat, high container surfaces would act as inefficient sails at that angle providing at least some thrust.

It was indeed dead in the water and adrift. The rudder will have no impact with no prop thrust. This is just basic power boating stuff.

The captain / pilot lost command of the vessel. Losing command in this case does not mean the crew conducted a mutiny.

The term “vessel not under command” means a vessel which through some exceptional circumstance is unable to manoeuvre as required by these Rules and is therefore unable to keep out of the way of another vessel.
You are using terms that you don't understand. Dead in the water means motionless, ZERO KNOTS of speed through water. To complicate matters, a boat or ship can be dead in the water and still making progress over ground due to current to tide.

I don’t know how they compare to planes which survive 400moh impacts and an inferno
Planes have wind-driven turbines for emergency power that deploy in a power failure. Aircraft black boxes are never without power. Apparently maritime black boxes are dependent on the ship's generators for power, so when the power failed the data recorders failed as well. The bridge voice recorders continued to function so we have an audio record, without data. There are actually two recorders on aircraft and now I know, ships one is a data recorder the other is a voice recorder.

A sail boat is not a power boat. Plus I already explained the difference between the rudders on a power boat and a tiller on a sailboat.

A power boat is not to have the ability to be steered unless it has propellers forcing the water past its rudder. You’re a tool.
I was a US Navy officer, qualified Officer of the Deck, Surface Warfare officer, and modified 600 psi and 1200 psi steam plant engineer. I drove submarines, cruisers and carriers during my career. I think I am just a little bit more qualified than you in this area.

I was a US Navy officer, qualified Officer of the Deck, Surface Warfare officer, and modified 600 psi and 1200 psi steam plant engineer. I drove submarines, cruisers and carriers during my career. I think I am just a little bit more qualified than you in this area.
Quite probably, but what were we disagreeing upon? I went back thirty pages and couldn’t’t find a post where we didn’t agree,

Last edited:
Half the posters in here feel a floating boat has zero weight or mass. It displaces water basically equally on both sides. It’s not some lightweight craft that is strongly effected by 15 mph winds in a fairly sheltered harbor and what amounts to slack tides
The larger the surface area of the ship to the wind creates more "sail effect". For example, in a man overboard situation, you always must position your ship upwind of the man overboard to allow the ship to "blow down" on the target.

Quite probably, but what were we disagreeing upon? I went back thirty pages and couldn’t’t find a post where we didn’t agree,
I did not respond to your posts! You are on the ball!

I responded to this bullshit:
tahuyaman said:
A sail boat is not a power boat. Plus I already explained the difference between the rudders on a power boat and a tiller on a sailboat.

A power boat is not to have the ability to be steered unless it has propellers forcing the water past its rudder. You’re a tool.

I did not respond to your posts! You are on the ball!

I responded to this bullshit:
tahuyaman said:

Sorry, I got confused.

When a ship has no engine power and is dead in the water, there is no effective steering ability. This is a condition called “not under command.”

When a captain calls in a mayday and says “I have no command of my ship,” That means they are helplessly adrift with no ability to steer or maneuver in any way.
Where did you get all of this bullshit? Ever actually pilot a ship?

Using a ribbon bridge the Army could bridge the harbor in a couple of days. It would take longer to bring the bridge sections to Baltimore than to build the Bridge. The Army used to practice bridging the Rhine which is wider than the harbor.
Sorry! Incorrect. Nowhere near the width of that harbor.

The Rhine river, one of the longest and most important waterways in Europe, has a maximum width of approximately 775 meters.
travelasker.com/how-wide-is-the-rhine-river/

1711763039882.png

Forum List

Back