Fox News Compares Immigrants to Garbage

They're at it again.

Fox News broadcast a story on immigration with on-screen text that read "Illegal Dumping," evoking a connection between immigrants and garbage.

On the June 4 edition of Fox & Friends, host Steve Doocy teased an upcoming segment about undocumented immigrants, apprehended in Texas and awaiting deportation proceedings, being dropped off at a Phoenix bus station by the Department of Homeland Security. Images of children disembarking from buses were displayed on screen with text that read "Illegal Dumping," a phrase commonly used to describe the unlawful disposal of garbage or other unwanted items.

Actually, [MENTION=39768]hazlnut[/MENTION] has a good point, here.

At issue is the deliberate use of an under-headline to go with a specific graphic:

illegaldumping2.jpg

Information here:

Did Fox Just Compare Immigrants To Garbage? | Blog | Media Matters for America

Fox News broadcast a story on immigration with on-screen text that read "Illegal Dumping," evoking a connection between immigrants and garbage.

On the June 4 edition of Fox & Friends, host Steve Doocy teased an upcoming segment about undocumented immigrants, apprehended in Texas and awaiting deportation proceedings, being dropped off at a Phoenix bus station by the Department of Homeland Security. Images of children disembarking from buses were displayed on screen with text that read "Illegal Dumping," a phrase commonly used to describe the unlawful disposal of garbage or other unwanted items.

Now, those on the right can put their hands over their eyes and say "na-na-na-na-na-na", as if this stuff doesn't happen or is unimportant, but I bring forth some arguments that are pretty hard to tear down:

1.) The GOP is getting hammered in the Latino vote. In the last Prez election, it went Obama 71 / Romney 27, margin: Obama +44%

Exit polls 2012: How the vote has shifted - The Washington Post
(2008 exit poll figures are also at the same link, using mouseover)

In 2008, in the Latino vote, it was Obama 67 / McCain 31, margin: Obama +36%.

In 2004, in the Latino vote, it was Kerry 53 / Bush (43) 44, margin: Kerry +9%

So, in 8 years, the DEM advantage in the Latino vote jumped from D+9% to D+44%. That is an absolute catastrophe for the GOP, one that will have far-reaching implications for the next many presidential cycles, possibly a generation or two!

(BTW, there is a similar jump in the Asian vote)

2.) The vast displeasure among the Latino community (and I am speaking of Latinos who ARE US CITIZENS) with the GOP is with it's extremist stance on immigration and the constant use of bigoted slurs and bigoted imagery/sound to demean the Latino community. Don't even get me started on bringing up examples, there are way too many for just one thread.

3.) FOX news, for good or for bad, is considered the propaganda wing for the Right (aka, the GOP), much as MSNBC is considered it's counterpart for the Left.

4.) So, using the old and very true axiom that it is often "more about perception than intent", FOX, in a teaser, which is used to catch peoples' attentions before the cutaway to a commercial break, uses the image of a small Latino boy getting a bottle of water from a DHS agent, and the underheadline says: "illegal dumping". Now, since the phrase "illegal dumping" is used all over the waste management world, it is most commonly associated with trash. Therefore, whether or not FOX "intended" that Latinos might think that FOX is equating a small Latino boy (who would stand for the Latino community, and by extension, for the part of the community that is innocent and vulnerable - namely, kids) with TRASH, it is likely going to be perceived by the Latino community as such. Go google "illegal dumping" and google for images. You will see what I mean:

Illegal-Dumping-Crime-Sign-K-7104.gif

-or-

3703698_G.jpg

Notice that the second image is a screenshot from a FOX news report about Illegal Dumping that obviously has to do with TRASH.

-or, this image-:

32030.jpg

That image is also from a FOX news report:

FOX 40 WICZ TV - Two Pennsylvania Men Arrested Charged with Illegal Dumping [2/26/2014] - News, Sports, Weather, Contests and More - Binghamton, NY

Two Pennsylvania men and their business are charged with illegal dumping of and storage of sewage sludge containing human waste.

In other words, what FOX did was stupid at best and maybe criminal at worst. Either way, it is a perfide form of yellow journalism. I suspect that FOX does this stuff to keep it's white, aging, hard-core, bigoted, racist, homophobic, xenophobic audience tuned in - so, FOX is doing this to make money. But it sure as fuck is not doing the Right any favors in any kind of effort to actually reach out to the Latino community.

Now, Righties can go ahead and laugh at this stuff as if it means nothing, but they do it at their own political peril, because if they think that Latinos don't notice these slams against them, then they are kidding themselves.

[MENTION=42916]Derideo_Te[/MENTION]
[MENTION=20412]JakeStarkey[/MENTION]

Maybe you two would like to pipe in as well.

Sorry Stat but the term "illegal dumping", in this context, refers to the practice of INS "dumping" illegals in some states such as Arizona, New York and Maryland that have been caught in other states as opposed to transporting them across the border. The reason is the ones "dumped" by INS are not Mexicans so cannot legally be dropped across the border into Mexico.
The allusion that it has anything to do with trash is chimerical and nothing more than a pathetic attempt by some FOXaphobes to vent their spleen.

I didn't go outside the scope of the story. It is crystal clear.

It was fun sparring with you.

You went outside the scope of the story when you related it to illegal dumping of garbage. The Fox News Story is not about garbage and makes no mention of garbage. You have proven that the phrase "illegal dumping" is not exclusively used in the context of garbage because it can be used with stocks as well. Do you want to make the argument that Fox was comparing the people to stocks? Probably not because that is clearly out of context. Just because a term is used in one context the majority of the time does not mean that other contexts are not allowed. That would severely limit the English Language wouldn't it!

No.

That was EXACTLY the point of the OP, the context in which I provided my criticism. I took nothing out of context, not even one little bit. I just explained it to you a SECOND TIME in the link I provided in the posting above.

but fine, if you think this kind of behaviour is going to help the GOP, then carry one, carry one.

I am laughing over this one...

Actually I think that both the GOP and the Democrats will take each other out of context when it suits their purposes. It's wrong when it's done by either side.

You went outside the scope of the story when you related it to illegal dumping of garbage. The Fox News Story is not about garbage and makes no mention of garbage. You have proven that the phrase "illegal dumping" is not exclusively used in the context of garbage because it can be used with stocks as well. Do you want to make the argument that Fox was comparing the people to stocks? Probably not because that is clearly out of context. Just because a term is used in one context the majority of the time does not mean that other contexts are not allowed. That would severely limit the English Language wouldn't it!

No.

That was EXACTLY the point of the OP, the context in which I provided my criticism. I took nothing out of context, not even one little bit. I just explained it to you a SECOND TIME in the link I provided in the posting above.

but fine, if you think this kind of behaviour is going to help the GOP, then carry one, carry one.

Actually I think that both the GOP and the Democrats will take each other out of context when it suits their purposes. It's wrong when it's done by either side.

that is not the case here. this is a very specific case that is very, very easy to prove.

They're at it again.

At issue is the deliberate use of an under-headline to go with a specific graphic:

illegaldumping2.jpg

Information here:

Now, those on the right can put their hands over their eyes and say "na-na-na-na-na-na", as if this stuff doesn't happen or is unimportant, but I bring forth some arguments that are pretty hard to tear down:

1.) The GOP is getting hammered in the Latino vote. In the last Prez election, it went Obama 71 / Romney 27, margin: Obama +44%

So, in 8 years, the DEM advantage in the Latino vote jumped from D+9% to D+44%. That is an absolute catastrophe for the GOP, one that will have far-reaching implications for the next many presidential cycles, possibly a generation or two!

2.) The vast displeasure among the Latino community (and I am speaking of Latinos who ARE US CITIZENS) with the GOP is with it's extremist stance on immigration and the constant use of bigoted slurs and bigoted imagery/sound to demean the Latino community. Don't even get me started on bringing up examples, there are way too many for just one thread.

3.) FOX news, for good or for bad, is considered the propaganda wing for the Right (aka, the GOP), much as MSNBC is considered it's counterpart for the Left.

4.) So, using the old and very true axiom that it is often "more about perception than intent", FOX, in a teaser, which is used to catch peoples' attentions before the cutaway to a commercial break, uses the image of a small Latino boy getting a bottle of water from a DHS agent, and the underheadline says: "illegal dumping". Now, since the phrase "illegal dumping" is used all over the waste management world, it is most commonly associated with trash. Therefore, whether or not FOX "intended" that Latinos might think that FOX is equating a small Latino boy (who would stand for the Latino community, and by extension, for the part of the community that is innocent and vulnerable - namely, kids) with TRASH, it is likely going to be perceived by the Latino community as such. Go google "illegal dumping" and google for images. You will see what I mean:

-or-

3703698_G.jpg

Notice that the second image is a screenshot from a FOX news report about Illegal Dumping that obviously has to do with TRASH.

-or, this image-:

32030.jpg

FOX 40 WICZ TV - Two Pennsylvania Men Arrested Charged with Illegal Dumping [2/26/2014] - News, Sports, Weather, Contests and More - Binghamton, NY

Two Pennsylvania men and their business are charged with illegal dumping of and storage of sewage sludge containing human waste.

In other words, what FOX did was stupid at best and maybe criminal at worst. Either way, it is a perfide form of yellow journalism. I suspect that FOX does this stuff to keep it's white, aging, hard-core, bigoted, racist, homophobic, xenophobic audience tuned in - so, FOX is doing this to make money. But it sure as fuck is not doing the Right any favors in any kind of effort to actually reach out to the Latino community.

Now, Righties can go ahead and laugh at this stuff as if it means nothing, but they do it at their own political peril, because if they think that Latinos don't notice these slams against them, then they are kidding themselves.

Sorry Stat but the term "illegal dumping", in this context, refers to the practice of INS "dumping" illegals in some states such as Arizona, New York and Maryland that have been caught in other states as opposed to transporting them across the border. The reason is the ones "dumped" by INS are not Mexicans so cannot legally be dropped across the border into Mexico.
The allusion that it has anything to do with trash is chimerical and nothing more than a pathetic attempt by some FOXaphobes to vent their spleen.

Already explained many times over that the term "Illegal Dumping" has a context that is OVERWHELMINGLY associated with the trash industry.

there is no getting around that.

illegaldumping2.jpg

Information here:

-or-

3703698_G.jpg

-or, this image-:

32030.jpg

Already explained many times over that the term "Illegal Dumping" has a context that is OVERWHELMINGLY associated with the trash industry.

It is eh? By whom?

I dump money into investments, my home, my cars........ I can dump time and effort into community projects and organizations..... The narrow focus you and others are using is a choice you are making. Doesn't presuppose you are correct in your assumptions....... :thup:

It is eh? By whom?

I dump money into investments, my home, my cars........ I can dump time and effort into community projects and organizations..... The narrow focus you and others are using is a choice you are making. Doesn't presuppose you are correct in your assumptions....... :thup:

Google the term "Illegal Dumping" and you will get over 700,000 entries and virtually every single one of them has to do with the waste management industry.

It's really that simple.

Sure, the term is used elsewhere, but the overwhelming context of those two words in this order is: TRASH, TRASH INDUSTRY.

No.

that is not the case here. this is a very specific case that is very, very easy to prove.

What exactly is it proof of?

It is eh? By whom?

Google the term "Illegal Dumping" and you will get over 700,000 entries and virtually every single one of them has to do with the waste management industry.

It's really that simple.

Sure, the term is used elsewhere, but the overwhelming context of those two words in this order is: TRASH, TRASH INDUSTRY.

And it has nothing to do with the FACT that we as a people constantly shorten words and rephrase phrases so that they are easier to use and "ring"..... right?
(Though in this instance it was probably a bad rephrasing)
But that doesn't negate the FACT that many here have a pathological hatred of Fox and will grasp at any straw to attack it with, hence my point.
Besides, the only thing Hazelnut ever gets right about his/her/it's nic is the nut part. Hazelnut is the dictionary example of a true moonbat.

It is eh? By whom?

It's really that simple.

And it has nothing to do with the FACT that we as a people constantly shorten words and rephrase phrases so that they are easier to use and "ring"..... right?
But that doesn't negate the FACT that many here have a pathological hatred of Fox and will grasp at any straw to attack it with, hence my point.
Besides, the only thing Hazelnut ever gets right about his/her/it's nic is the nut part. Hazelnut is the dictionary example of a true moonbat.

Sure, we shorten words and rephrase things. We also learn from our mistakes.

Know why the Ford PINTO did not sell in S. America?

Because "Pinto" is colloquial for "small penis" down there. They had problems with the sale of those cars in S. America....

The problem especially with FOX is that it does this kind of stuff quite often. Dishonestly literally oozes out of organization, everything from false chryons that suddenly change the party affiliation of a pol once he falls into disrepute, to completely reversed poll results, the "mistake" for which is caught in the last 20 seconds of a 20 minute segment over said poll, to headlines designed to cause Right-Wing anger.....

all the same stuff.

As I wrote in my first post here, sure, the Right can laugh it off, but it does so at it's own peril. Latinos have eyes and ears just like the rest of us and they can read and write, too. And they cast ballots in elections.

So we are focusing on Fox News and "context" to deflect from the real issue which is WTF are those people doing here? I thought the dems had the border under control? And the reason they are here is because local TV and radio in their home countries are advertising to "go north and take your child, you will not be turned away."

So we are focusing on Fox News and "context" to deflect from the real issue which is WTF are those people doing here? I thought the dems had the border under control? And the reason they are here is because local TV and radio in their home countries are advertising to "go north and take your child, you will not be turned away."

No, I am not deflecting. I don't want illegal aliens from any direction coming over the border, but we also have a Latino electorate - of LEGAL citizens, who watch how they as an entire group of people are being treated.

It is possible to separate the one story from the other. Unfortunately, FOX is not smart enough to do that.

It's really that simple.

Because "Pinto" is colloquial for "small penis" down there. They had problems with the sale of those cars in S. America....

The problem especially with FOX is that it does this kind of stuff quite often. Dishonestly literally oozes out of organization, everything from false chryons that suddenly change the party affiliation of a pol once he falls into disrepute, to completely reversed poll results, the "mistake" for which is caught in the last 20 seconds of a 20 minute segment over said poll, to headlines designed to cause Right-Wing anger.....

all the same stuff.

As I wrote in my first post here, sure, the Right can laugh it off, but it does so at it's own peril. Latinos have eyes and ears just like the rest of us and they can read and write, too. And they cast ballots in elections.

Not defending Fox, per se, simply pointing out that many on the far left will make mountains out of mole hills when it comes to Fox and it's affiliates as many on the far right will do the same with the more liberal leaning outlets.
In the same vein I'm attempting to point out how the viewers perceptions cloud their rationality as you have demonstrated in your last post. All media outlets make mistakes, all media outlets have a bias to one degree or another but is generally not as bad as most make it out to be.
But if more people looked at things like this through non-politically biased eyes then this board wouldn't be as much fun as it is........ :lol:

all the same stuff.

Not defending Fox, per se, simply pointing out that many on the far left will make mountains out of mole hills when it comes to Fox and it's affiliates as many on the far right will do the same with the more liberal leaning outlets.
In the same vein I'm attempting to point out how the viewers perceptions cloud their rationality as you have demonstrated in your last post. All media outlets make mistakes, all media outlets have a bias to one degree or another but is generally not as bad as most make it out to be.
But if more people looked at things like this through non-politically biased eyes then this board wouldn't be as much fun as it is........ :lol:

:thup:

Still doesn't remove the fact that FOX fucked this one up.

+:D

all the same stuff.

:thup:

Still doesn't remove the fact that FOX fucked this one up.

+:D
True but only so much as it's opponents now have "ammunition" (contrived) to use at the poles....... Politics as usual. :thup:

Forum List

Back