Found Money today for me

Polishprince

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2016
I answered my telephone this afternoon and got a message from PNC Bank.

Due to irregularities , they are putting an immediate hold on my debit card with them.

This is actually tremendous news, as I didn't even know I had an account with this fine , financial institution.

Needless to say, I am pleased about the hold that they are putting on the account, so I can head on down there and collect what's coming to me.

I answered my telephone this afternoon and got a message from PNC Bank.

Due to irregularities , they are putting an immediate hold on my debit card with them.

This is actually tremendous news, as I didn't even know I had an account with this fine , financial institution.

Needless to say, I am pleased about the hold that they are putting on the account, so I can head on down there and collect what's coming to me.

That is precisely the reason I don't have a debit card. I tried one out in the 80s when they were introduced. Soon after, one of my checks bounced. I could find no reason. I had never had a check returned before--or since for that matter. The bank said I missed a withdrawal--I guess it could be possible, but I don't have the problem when I deal with checks. I cut the debit card up after that--Don't miss it at all.

My husband is getting these kind of "bank" messages all the time now, every day. I got a scam myself today, about a big software package they were going to charge me $399 for, but if I Just Call This Number, they can straighten it all out for me. You probably know, but if you mouse over the email address, no matter what it says on the screen, it will come up with some sort of foreign complex address in Bulgaria or some other upstanding datascamming country.

That is precisely the reason I don't have a debit card. I tried one out in the 80s when they were introduced. Soon after, one of my checks bounced. I could find no reason. I had never had a check returned before--or since for that matter. The bank said I missed a withdrawal--I guess it could be possible, but I don't have the problem when I deal with checks. I cut the debit card up after that--Don't miss it at all.
What happens with me is that thieves on the Internet get my card number SOMEHOW, God knows how, and I find weird payments out of my bank account, getting bigger and bigger until the Fraud Office of the Bank calls us. Then my card is killed, right then, or I have to get another account entirely (last time -- something wrong with PayPal, couldn't even check my balance, had to kill my whole account). This all happens literally yearly. What I did after this last theft a couple months ago was to pay Amazon where I buy most stuff except groceries, in advance in $400 or so chunks of money, so that I don't have hardly any payments coming out of that account. My idea is that then I'll more quickly see theft debits. So far the bank has covered all the many stolen payments, but I worry!

I've restricted my shopping webwide mostly to Amazon, I'm careful not to go to weird sites, or explore around the Web too much, I check twice a week in my bank account --- it's really an upset to find that somebody in Ireland has been using my debit card freely. I sure wonder how they get these numbers!

For a time a few years ago our cards were being compromised on a regular basis.
I mean three or four times a year. It never cost us anything but it was annoying.
Ever since covid and my hip surgeries I havent been going out and using my credit cards nor has the Wife other than online shopping.
Low and behold the problem stopped.

My husband is getting these kind of "bank" messages all the time now, every day. I got a scam myself today, about a big software package they were going to charge me $399 for, but if I Just Call This Number, they can straighten it all out for me. You probably know, but if you mouse over the email address, no matter what it says on the screen, it will come up with some sort of foreign complex address in Bulgaria or some other upstanding datascamming country.
Yeah, I've gotten at least half a dozen emails like you describe. None of them reference the account that they claim will be charged--not even the last four numbers. I just send them to the circular file. I'd be willing to bet, one of the first questions that you would be asked if you called the number is "What is your account number?"

What happens with me is that thieves on the Internet get my card number SOMEHOW, God knows how, and I find weird payments out of my bank account, getting bigger and bigger until the Fraud Office of the Bank calls us. Then my card is killed, right then, or I have to get another account entirely (last time -- something wrong with PayPal, couldn't even check my balance, had to kill my whole account). This all happens literally yearly. What I did after this last theft a couple months ago was to pay Amazon where I buy most stuff except groceries, in advance in $400 or so chunks of money, so that I don't have hardly any payments coming out of that account. My idea is that then I'll more quickly see theft debits. So far the bank has covered all the many stolen payments, but I worry!

I've restricted my shopping webwide mostly to Amazon, I'm careful not to go to weird sites, or explore around the Web too much, I check twice a week in my bank account --- it's really an upset to find that somebody in Ireland has been using my debit card freely. I sure wonder how they get these numbers!
I used to use a CC on the web to make purchases on Amazon and I had a PayPal account. The PayPal account was hacked so I canceled it. The CC got hacked twice after purchases on Amazon. The CC company is pretty good. They discovered it before I did and notified me. They issued a new number--that was subsequently hacked and they issued another and had the credit reporting agencies monitor it for two years free of charge. I haven't had a problem since and my CC company has a policy that they don't question disputed charges. I just use that--no connection to my bank account.

Forum List

Back