Politically incorrect food .....

Zebra

Gold Member
May 29, 2023
In Germany there are some terribly fanatical people who like to fight to the death against some words that they think politically incorrect.

Examples:

the Mohrenkopf - a very pleasant sweet
the Zigeunerschnitzel - a very tasty Schnitzel
the Amerikaner - a very pleasant piece of pastry.

Btw: The Amerikaner comes in black and in white - and also in black-and-white. :)

Probably there are more examples .....

No one in Grmany is going to fight to the death over a word ... especially a German word ...

... and it's das Zigeunerschnitzel ... how else are you going to cook Romani? ...

No one in Grmany is going to fight to the death over a word ... especially a German word ...

Those fanatically correct people in Germany are!
"to death" is meant as a figure of speech only, of course.

But if you say "Zigeunerschnitzel" or "Mohrenkopf" in Germany at the "wrong" time and place, you my lose your job.

Zigeunersauce ...​

... is also "verboten", btw ....

In Germany there are some terribly fanatical people who like to fight to the death against some words that they think politically incorrect.

Examples:

the Mohrenkopf - a very pleasant sweet
the Zigeunerschnitzel - a very tasty Schnitzel
the Amerikaner - a very pleasant piece of pastry.

Btw: The Amerikaner comes in black and in white - and also in black-and-white. :)

Probably there are more examples .....

Zigeunerschnitzel is a traditional meat dish from Germany that is typically made with a combination of bell peppers of different colors, onions, tomato paste or tomatoes, mushrooms, wine, water, broth, and spices such as sweet and hot paprika. It is also known as Balkanschnitzel or Paprikaschnitzel1.
Mohrenkopf is a German confectionery that consists of a soft chocolate-covered marshmallow treat2.
I hope this helps! Why are they considered politically incorrect? What else do these words mean?

Zigeunerschnitzel is a traditional meat dish from Germany that is typically made with a combination of bell peppers of different colors, onions, tomato paste or tomatoes, mushrooms, wine, water, broth, and spices such as sweet and hot paprika. It is also known as Balkanschnitzel or Paprikaschnitzel1.
Mohrenkopf is a German confectionery that consists of a soft chocolate-covered marshmallow treat2.
OK - but the word "Mohr" and the word "Zigeuner" is now verboten.
And so are all the words that contain them.

The actual food is not verboten, but it must change its name.

"Mohren-Apotheke" is also verboten now.

I will try to find an article in English about it ....

@ Mohren-Apotheken

CRITIQUING THE “MOOR” PHARMACY (MOHREN-APOTHEKE) (2018)​

In the German lands, it is common to come across “moor pharmacies” (Mohren-Apotheke or Apotheke zum Mohren). Although indistinguishable from any other pharmacy except by their names, logos, and decoration, they refer back to a longstanding association of “moors” with worldiness and with exotic luxury. From the nineteenth century it became common to brand these pharmacies with noble savage motifs and with various racist caricatures, and this practice continues into the present-day.
In January 2018, a grassroots protest was raised in Frankfurt am Main against the use of the term “moor pharmacy” and associated imagery . The civic organisation representing migrant interests (Kommunale Ausländer- und Ausländerinnenvertretung–KAV) unanimously accepted a proposal brought by its member Virginia Wangere Greiner, a highly decorated social worker and human rights activist. In their recommendation to the city government (below), they regretted that in 2018 they had to explain that terms like “Neger” and “Mohr” had a racist history that was being unconsciously perpetuated through their continued use. As a first step to removing racist labels from the city’s public space, the committee identified two local “Moor pharmacies” and asked that they be directed to change their names and remove offensive logos. The owners of one responded by immediately removing their clichéd caricature of a logo, but the owners of the two pharmacies and others in the region refused to consider changing their names. They variously insisted that it would be expensive for them to change, that the names were meant in a positive sense anyway, that critics were too sensitive, and that their customers wanted them to defend their local traditions.

Those fanatically correct people in Germany are!
"to death" is meant as a figure of speech only, of course.

Yeah ... I understand a lot of people get upset when we talk about Brazil nuts ... and we don't call them what we used to ... racist can't be trusted ...

Didn't the Germans kill off all their Romani population in the 1930's and 40's? ... maybe there's a different reason Germans don't use derogatory words to describe the former inhabitants ... I would think saying "go fly a `Jew`" would run thin in Germany these days ... don't you think? ...

ETA: Apparently there's two words we can't use here ... I didn't think anyone here was old enough to know that is a derogatory word ...

Yeah ... I understand a lot of people get upset when we talk about Brazil nuts ... and we don't call them what we used to ... racist can't be trusted ...

Didn't the Germans kill off all their Romani population in the 1930's and 40's? ... maybe there's a different reason Germans don't use derogatory words to describe the former inhabitants ... I would think saying "go fly a `Jew`" would run thin in Germany these days ... don't you think? ...

ETA: Apparently there's two words we can't use here ... I didn't think anyone here was old enough to know that is a derogatory word ...
I was an adult before I heard anyone call them Brazil Nuts.

They were commonly called a word that is insulting to black people.
Why on earth should this be insulting?

It seems there is NO WORD LEFT ON EARTH that could not be seen as insulting ...

There is Zigeuners hmitzel … and also Zigeuner Sauce

Forum List

Back