FORT HOOD: Now that I took Obama's advice and didn't jump to conclusions I think.....

Don't take what I'm saying the wrong way, I'm not saying he did it because he was a Muslim. I still hold to my position that he did this because he is a psychopathic a-hole. However, it does appear to be at the least politically (internally within the base) motivated shooting that was done to make a statement and instill fear into people.

I think that is a fair statement. I think the idea of terrorism has been used to talk more about a coordinated effort than your definition (also a valid one). Certainly I think this guy was nuts and was either inspired by, or used as justification, the political/religious reasons. Though I doubt very seriously this was any plan beyond this one guy.

I agree.

I do think he planned to do this and didn't just "snap" but I dont think he was directed by al-quaeda or some other terrorist network.

Does a terrorist attack have to be directed by some foreign entity? A terrorist is someone that is trying to make a statement. Did the shooter make any demands or leave any evidence of wrongs he was supposedly righting? Is going postal in itself a terrorist attack? I think it was more akin to a workplace shooting.

I think that is a fair statement. I think the idea of terrorism has been used to talk more about a coordinated effort than your definition (also a valid one). Certainly I think this guy was nuts and was either inspired by, or used as justification, the political/religious reasons. Though I doubt very seriously this was any plan beyond this one guy.

I agree.

I do think he planned to do this and didn't just "snap" but I dont think he was directed by al-quaeda or some other terrorist network.

Does a terrorist attack have to be directed by some foreign entity? A terrorist is someone that is trying to make a statement. Did the shooter make any demands or leave any evidence of wrongs he was supposedly righting? Is going postal in itself a terrorist attack? I think it was more akin to a workplace shooting.

No a terorist attac does not have to be directed by some foreign entity and the fort hood shooting is a great example of a terrrorist attack grown at home, like mcveigh.

Yes the shooter demanded to not be deployed and to be relieved of duty, he left web posts and youtube videos behind as statements.

Workplace shootings, what you dub going postal, are actions meant to frighten and intimidate those the shooters worked with. That being said you could consider them terror inducing attacks, or terrorist attacks.

Forum List

Back