Former US President Jimmy Carter calls Arafat a "powerful human symbol"

Discussion in 'Middle East - General' started by -Cp, Nov 11, 2004.

1. -Cp

-Cp Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +363
    Carter makes me want to puke....

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/afp/mideast_arafat_carter

MIAMI (AFP) - Former US President Jimmy Carter called Yasser Arafat (news - web sites) "a powerful human symbol and forceful advocate" who united Palestinians in their pursuit of a homeland.

"Yasser Arafat's death marks the end of an era and will no doubt be painfully felt by Palestinians throughout the Middle East and elsewhere in the world," Carter said.

"He was the father of the modern Palestinian nationalist movement. A powerful human symbol and forceful advocate, Palestinians united behind him in their pursuit of a homeland," he said in a statement distributed by his Atlanta, Georgia-based Carter Center.

He said that while Arafat provided "indispensable leadership to a revolutionary movement" and played a key role in forging a peace agreement with Israel in 1993, he was excluded from negotiations in recent years.

"My hope is that an emerging Palestinian leadership can benefit from Arafat's experiences, be welcomed to the peace process by (Israeli) Prime Minister (Ariel) Sharon and (US) President (George W.) Bush, and be successful in helping to forge a Palestinian state living in harmony with their Israeli neighbors," Carter said.

Both Carter and Arafat are Nobel peace prize laureates.

Arafat, who died at a Paris hospital early Thursday, was to be buried at his West Bank headquarters after a military funeral ceremony in Cairo Friday.

Carter "will not be attending the funeral," said Jon Moor, a Carter Center spokesman.

2. Mr. P

Mr. P Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +618
    Yeah..Powerful all right, as long as he could find someone to strap explosives too, and send innocent people to their death..JIMMY! You MORON!! GAWD why did we elect ever your ASS?

3. Patriot

Patriot BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Ahh brothers in self serving arms.

4. JohnGalt

JohnGalt Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Sorry, I am a little young. I know that Carter was a fuck-up and that he believed in altruistic wars and what not... but can some one fill me in on why he is so hated? I mean, he couldn't have been worse than Buchanan, that douche just let the south secceed from the union without doing anything.

5. freeandfun1

freeandfun1 VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +296
    The love fest the left is having with Arafat (now that he is dead) is making me sick. When Castro dies, they will be making a hero out of him too. We truly are living in a time when so many perceive evil as good and good as evil.

6. Patriot

Patriot BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +33

He turned America from superpower to superjoke. Add to that his self serving bullshit JUST to win the nobel peace prize..It was all about him and his ego and NOT about anything good he had to offer.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  7. JohnGalt

JohnGalt Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +9
    thanks, kinda. So is America still a "super joke" or has his retreat from politics planted us in the superpower spot again?

8. Avatar4321

Avatar4321 Diamond Member Gold Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,157
    Anger over Nixon. I think there were just some dumb people back then. But then im a Reagan baby and Hindsight is 20/20

9. Hobbit

Hobbit Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +421
    Then there were the American hostages in Iran for A FRICKIN YEAR! That's inexcusable. The only reason we're losing hostages now is because they don't give us the time to find the little punks. Carter's turned into another leftist idiot, and I don't want to hear his bullcrap anymore.

10. NATO AIR

NATO AIR Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +282
    arafat is a powerful human symbol of the great power monsters can achieve if allowed to. arafat would be worthy of at least a bit of praise if he'd had the balls to put his life on the line and accept peace in 2000, but instead he's just another murderous coward with very few redeeming qualities.

see what happens when you run a people like a colony?