Former New Orleans Mayor Ray Nagin indicted

It is not like they were not warned about what was about to happen.
This was the actual warning issued by the National Hurricane Center at 1011 AM CDT SUN AUG 28, 2005. After reading this, Nagin did nothing to evacuate his city. He could have used those buses pictured above to remove those that did not have transportation of their own....

Oh good, here come the revisionistas again.

The warning you posted was the day before Katrina hit. By then anyone who hadn't already left was in the process, having had ample though short-notice warning. I specifically remember Nagin's evacuation orders on TV, although by then I was already packing.

As for the buses, there would not have been time one day before to round up school buses that are not under the mayor's jurisdiction anyway, plus drivers for them and execution plans, if they were even in working condition. The bureaucracy involved FEMA, the mayor's office and the New Orleans School Board. A bureaucratic morass that doesn't lend itself to spontaneity.

I mean it's fun what you can do opportunistically with Google Images and all, but the reality is never quite that simple.

it's not like that was the only warning they were given, I just remember that warning as one of the gravest warnings I had ever seen. When you live in a city that is below sea level as New Orleans is, you should have your escape routes planned well ahead of time no matter how rich or poor you are. Nagin should have had evacuation plans in place well ahead of time for a worse case scenario. Nobody to blame except for local government.

Well we do know that Nagin made it safely out of New Orleans and that was before all those people were herded into the stadium. Hmm..., I wonder how much Nagin made from the miseries the people went through. But let's keep blaming Bush for the things he wasn't responsible for. It boggles the mind to see all those buses underwater and the number of people that could have been saved by using them for evacuation.

By Rick Jervis
January 18, 2013

NEW ORLEANS – Ray Nagin, former New Orleans mayor and the public face of the battered city in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina, has been indicted by a grand jury on 21 federal corruption charges.

The indictment, released Friday, alleges Nagin awarded lucrative city contracts to
contractors in exchange for more than $200,000 in kickbacks and first-class trips to Hawaii, Jamaica and Las Vegas.

Nagin, 56, served two four-year terms as mayor, from 2002 to 2010, and currently lives in Frisco, Tex., outside Dallas. If convicted on all charges, he faces more than 15 years in prison. Nagin becomes the first mayor in the city's 295-year history to be indicted under federal corruption charges.

[Excerpt]

Continue reading: ---->

Were these School Bus contracts?

I think you refer to the Orleans Levee Board -- another bureaucracy comprised of. much like the floodwaters themselves, oily corruption and putrescence. Happily that entity no longer exists.

Yes that is what I was referring too. Good to hear that they are a thing of the past.

The warning you posted was the day before Katrina hit. By then anyone who hadn't already left was in the process, having had ample though short-notice warning. I specifically remember Nagin's evacuation orders on TV, although by then I was already packing.

As for the buses, there would not have been time one day before to round up school buses that are not under the mayor's jurisdiction anyway, plus drivers for them and execution plans, if they were even in working condition. The bureaucracy involved FEMA, the mayor's office and the New Orleans School Board. A bureaucratic morass that doesn't lend itself to spontaneity.

I mean it's fun what you can do opportunistically with Google Images and all, but the reality is never quite that simple.

it's not like that was the only warning they were given, I just remember that warning as one of the gravest warnings I had ever seen. When you live in a city that is below sea level as New Orleans is, you should have your escape routes planned well ahead of time no matter how rich or poor you are. Nagin should have had evacuation plans in place well ahead of time for a worse case scenario. Nobody to blame except for local government.

Well we do know that Nagin made it safely out of New Orleans and that was before all those people were herded into the stadium. Hmm..., I wonder how much Nagin made from the miseries the people went through. But let's keep blaming Bush for the things he wasn't responsible for. It boggles the mind to see all those buses underwater and the number of people that could have been saved by using them for evacuation.

In other words you can read back the thread to see what posters actually said... or you can just make up your own fantasy. Speaking of which...

Well we do know that Nagin made it safely out of New Orleans

We do, huh? I've never heard of Nagin leaving the city at the time, but then another revisionista tried to float the idea that the Governor left the state too. I don't know where y'all buy these comic books. Or why.

Let's stay on the topic
. There's no need to make shit up.

He's the reason I didn't get there. This hurts beyond. Well well well. My heart is broke. Traveller will be crushed. One man and such a lie.

In other words you can read back the thread to see what posters actually said... or you can just make up your own fantasy. Speaking of which...

Well we do know that Nagin made it safely out of New Orleans

We do, huh? I've never heard of Nagin leaving the city at the time, but then another revisionista tried to float the idea that the Governor left the state too. I don't know where y'all buy these comic books. Or why.

Let's stay on the topic
. There's no need to make shit up.

I can tell you it day by day moment by moment I was ready to cross the border.I knew every minute of Katrina. Every freaking mother trucking soul of Katrina.

Now lets talk. Nagin killed that city that day. He was such a moron. My breeder, Jimmy's girl was out in Lumberton in Miss, We rolled into a hotel room in a place called Steinbach begging her to run that it was going to be a 5, She loved rog to death enough to realize we were not kidding. That was the Wednesday.

I'm supposed to be there. That hurricane laid waste to all my friends and my life. When people talk about Katrina and the libs are so smart mouth about it, you have no idea what it did to lives. So you can be smarmy lib asswhipes. Just do your "bush shit" from here to eternity.

One day just one day I hope you suffer like I've seen people suffer.

Amen that Nagin is getting it. YAY. If I'm stuck up here......

It took the feds eight years to figure out he's a crook? Oh, I'm so thrilled about the government handling my healthcare, too. :rolleyes:

It really is LA time. I know I'm a crazy canuck but trust me, when you start to go south of Shreveport you enter a different time zone. :D

Oh, the city corruption was long before Katrina. The city government refused to allocate any monies toward improving the levies years before Katrina, even with the Corps of Engineers' strong recommendations. The Discovery Channel (or some channel like that) even did a documentary about the levies and the city government years before Katrina.

Funny, I haven't seen that documentary since, cuz, ya know, GWB was in office and shit.

Oh, the city corruption was long before Katrina. The city government refused to allocate any monies toward improving the levies years before Katrina, even with the Corps of Engineers' strong recommendations. The Discovery Channel (or some channel like that) even did a documentary about the levies and the city government years before Katrina.

Funny, I haven't seen that documentary since, cuz, ya know, GWB was in office and shit.

I was supposed to be there. All my babies, my kennel and then Katrina rolled in and changed my life. I still dream about it.

Katrina changed lives.

By Rick Jervis
January 18, 2013

NEW ORLEANS – Ray Nagin, former New Orleans mayor and the public face of the battered city in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina, has been indicted by a grand jury on 21 federal corruption charges.

The indictment, released Friday, alleges Nagin awarded lucrative city contracts to
contractors in exchange for more than $200,000 in kickbacks and first-class trips to Hawaii, Jamaica and Las Vegas.

Nagin, 56, served two four-year terms as mayor, from 2002 to 2010, and currently lives in Frisco, Tex., outside Dallas. If convicted on all charges, he faces more than 15 years in prison. Nagin becomes the first mayor in the city's 295-year history to be indicted under federal corruption charges.

[Excerpt]

Continue reading: ---->

I'm shocked... shocked, I tell you... :)

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Gf8NK1WAOc]Hilarious Casablanca Clip - YouTube[/ame]

I could have been your neighbor. I think we must torture him. :eusa_angel: We could have been buddies way back. That's scary. :D

Ah, nothing like dumbing-down the news. Intellectual fast food. Then an hour later you're hungry again.

It's a nice mythology but not that simple:
It is unclear whether Mayor Nagin knew these particular buses existed, since the Orleans Parish School Board is not under his jurisdiction and his office would not normally know the location of OPSB bus yards or be able to contact the drivers of those buses to place them into service. Normally it is the job of FEMA to coordinate between the various local jurisdictions such as the OPSB and the City of New Orleans in this case. That is, under the rules of prior hurricane responses, FEMA would ask all local jurisdictions for a list of resources under their control. Then FEMA would have taken a request from Nagin for buses, relayed it to the Orleans Parish School Board or other local jurisdictions which had buses, and at that point the OPSB would have provided the buses to Nagin. That coordination did not happen here, but it is unclear whether Nagin ever made such a request prior to the hurricane and after the hurricane they were underwater and useless.

However, if he had known about them, the declaration of a state of emergency on August 26 gave him the right under Louisiana law to commandeer them for the duration of the emergency. The failure to issue a timely evacuation order in effect made it physically impossible to evacuate the nursing homes, hospitals, and those without automobiles.
-- Wikinews

Then there would be the logistics of rounding up drivers for these buses (if they were even in working condition) the time frame of doing all this in a maximum of two days -- the same two days the populace was already scrambling, and the inevitable expense it would all have cost, feeding yet more Monday morning quarterback whiners like Berzerk.

Unsurprisingly, you keep making excuses for Nagin's incompetence.

That's not excusing Nagin's incompetence. It's showcasing that of your research. That journalistic onanism that divides the world into red and blue teams and then flails about to put points on its own scoreboard.
I'm sure you like to pretend that. Meanwhile, you're making excuses for Nagin.

Unsurprisingly, you keep making excuses for Nagin's incompetence.

That's not excusing Nagin's incompetence. It's showcasing that of your research. That journalistic onanism that divides the world into red and blue teams and then flails about to put points on its own scoreboard.

Dood, there is no excuse for Nagin. I don't need to make that point; everybody in N'awlins has known that for years. What I did here was demonstrate how your one-photo-pony don't trot. You seem to have a penchant for superficial research, so I'm here to help until you can do it on your own. To hell with Nagin's legacy; I care about the idea of not playing loosely with the facts.

Nor do I need to "pretend" to see armchair political pundits trying to use a natural disaster they didn't even see as a political football. That's obvious. The uninformed are jumping on Nagin because they're still under the impression he was a "Democrat". Other wags keep bringing up George Bush in defensive postures even when no one else mentioned him. The entire population of New Orleans has been painted here as "libtards" and "Democraps". It's all a game to the opportunists. Even now I see a certain Bassethound up there trying to shift the blame away from the Army Corps of Engineers (they have an "R" in their name so they must be Republicans?)...*

Natural disasters are not political footballs. Why is this thread hung up on Katrina rather than on the substance of the OP - the indictment?

*To that Army Corps thing...
The Corps betrayed New Orleans in a number of ways. Its flood walls played matador defense because they were badly designed and badly engineered, then built in soggy soils in the wrong locations; the commander of the Corps, General Carl Strock, admitted his agency's "catastrophic failure" and submitted his resignation nine months after the storm, long after the nation had stopped paying attention. The Corps also exposed New Orleans to storm surges by manhandling and straitjacketing the Mississippi River over the past 80 years, blocking the flow of silt to southern Louisiana, gradually sinking the Big Easy below sea level and destroying a third of the coastal wetlands and barrier islands that once provided the city's natural hurricane protection. -- Time

Last edited:

you do know they were supposed to have a working plan for just such an occassion? It wasn't like they weren't aware there were many that would not have transportation. Nagin failed. Plain and simple.

Nagin failed in a million ways, before and after Katrina. But no, it isn't that simple. See post 67.

As I said it's always convenient to find one guy, one party, one ideology, and pin everything on them. Real life is just more complex than that.

You are right that it was not just Nagin, but many failed. You are right, it is much more complex than that, but I also studied it, this mayor, no matter which party he was associated with, failed on many levels with the approach of Katrina, during Katrina and after. Some of the parish presidents came through, but some totally failed as well. I could go on and on. I also have a friend that lives there and I went through it with her. I also understand what needs to be done as I live in a hurricane zone. I have seen failures by our county commissioners and seen one that took the lead for a few days to get declarations signed when the other failed to take action when it was needed.

Last edited:
So, what do you want to discuss about the indictments? The fact he appears to be worthless scum that is guilty of all of the above?

Dood, there is no excuse for Nagin. I don't need to make that point; everybody in N'awlins has known that for years. What I did here was demonstrate how your one-photo-pony don't trot. You seem to have a penchant for superficial research, so I'm here to help until you can do it on your own. To hell with Nagin's legacy; I care about the idea of not playing loosely with the facts.

Nor do I need to "pretend" to see armchair political pundits trying to use a natural disaster they didn't even see as a political football. That's obvious. The uninformed are jumping on Nagin because they're still under the impression he was a "Democrat". Other wags keep bringing up George Bush in defensive postures even when no one else mentioned him. The entire population of New Orleans has been painted here as "libtards" and "Democraps". It's all a game to the opportunists. Even now I see a certain Bassethound up there trying to shift the blame away from the Army Corps of Engineers (they have an "R" in their name so they must be Republicans?)...*

Natural disasters are not political footballs. Why is this thread hung up on Katrina rather than on the substance of the OP - the indictment?

*To that Army Corps thing...
The Corps betrayed New Orleans in a number of ways. Its flood walls played matador defense because they were badly designed and badly engineered, then built in soggy soils in the wrong locations; the commander of the Corps, General Carl Strock, admitted his agency's "catastrophic failure" and submitted his resignation nine months after the storm, long after the nation had stopped paying attention. The Corps also exposed New Orleans to storm surges by manhandling and straitjacketing the Mississippi River over the past 80 years, blocking the flow of silt to southern Louisiana, gradually sinking the Big Easy below sea level and destroying a third of the coastal wetlands and barrier islands that once provided the city's natural hurricane protection. -- Time
:lol: I don't care what Nagin's politics are. He failed. He didn't follow his own city's emergency response plan, which included the use of school buses. His incompetence killed people.

You say you're not, but you're whitewashing his legacy.

Good luck with that.

So, what do you want to discuss about the indictments? The fact he appears to be worthless scum that is guilty of all of the above?

I think that's pretty much it, yeah. What's surprising is that it took eight years to figure it out. The fact that Ray Nagin's a selfish asshole is news to nobody that lived through him in New Orleans.

Nagin's an idiot... yet sadly, unless the trial is held outside NOLA... the idiots in Orleans Parish will probably give him a pass... they are that stupid.

Forum List

Back