Mayor Adams Denies Wrongdoing and Retains Lawyer After Federal Raid

excalibur

Diamond Member
Mar 19, 2015
Lawyering up. A potential massive corruption. And why did he travel to Turkey so often?

Six days after F.B.I. agents searched the home of Mayor Eric Adamsā€™s chief campaign fund-raiser, the mayor used his first open question-and-answer session with reporters since the raid to insist that he had done nothing wrong.

He greeted the City Hall press corps with a broad smile and laughed at a question about his own potential vulnerability to criminal charges.

ā€œI cannot tell you how much I start the day with telling my team, ā€˜Weā€™ve got to follow the law, got to follow the law,ā€™ almost to the point that I am annoying,ā€ Mr. Adams said.

Itā€™s not the first time that someone in Mr. Adamsā€™s inner circle has had trouble with the law. Since becoming mayor, he has seen the Manhattan district attorney, Alvin L. Bragg, indict his former buildings commissioner for conspiracy and bribetaking. Two months earlier, Mr. Bragg indicted six people, including a retired police inspector with whom he worked and socialized, on charges of conspiring to funnel illegal donations to the mayorā€™s first mayoral campaign.

Mr. Adamsā€™s proximity to criminal inquiries drew closer last week, when federal agents conducted a pre-dawn raid on the home of Brianna Suggs, the 25-year-old former intern whom Mr. Adams elevated to a lofty fund-raising position in his campaign, despite her inexperience. Federal authorities are now investigating whether Mr. Adamsā€™s 2021 campaign for mayor received illegal donations from the Turkish government.

If the FBI went that far, they likely have something, but he says he's innocent.

I guess we'll find out in due course.

Forum List

Back