Former Mossad chief: Kill Ahmadinejad

Discussion in 'Israel and Palestine' started by Shogun, Apr 18, 2007.

1. Shogun

Shogun Free: Mudholes Stomped

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,260
    Former Mossad chief: Kill Ahmadinejad
    By JPOST STAFF AND AP

Western countries must unite in an effort to assassinate Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad, former head of the Mossad Meir Amit said on Wednesday night.

"Even though in the past I have been opposed to assassinating Arab leaders, this case is different because it alone is the center of the nuclear issue," Amit told the weekly Kfar Chabad magazine set be published on Thursday.

Amit said he did not perceive an existential danger to Israel following Iran's nuclear development - "but that is only on condition that we do something about it."

The former Mossad chief went on to say that the nuclear facility in Dimona presented a deterrent against Ahmadinejad's intentions. "I think that this is the only reason that he won't attack us," he said.

Meanwhile, Iran has started enriching small amounts of uranium gas at its underground plant and is already running more than 1,300 of the machines used in the enrichment process, according to an International Atomic Energy Agency document obtained Wednesday by The Associated Press.

The confidential document - a letter to Iranian officials from a senior IAEA staff member - also protests an Iranian decision to prevent agency inspectors to visit the country's heavy water facility that, when built, will produce plutonium. Enriched uranium and plutonium can both be used for the fissile core of nuclear warheads.

The letter, signed by IAEA Deputy Director General Olli Heinonen and dated April 18 - Thursday - said the agency wanted to "take note of the information provided by Iran ... that Iran has put into operation" 1,312 centrifuges - the machines used to spin the gas into enriched uranium.

The letter also cited Iranian information to the agency that "some UF6 is being fed" into the centrifuges, referring to the uranium gas that can be enriched to levels potent enough to be used for nuclear arms.

Iran says it wants to enrich only to lower levels suitable to generate nuclear power. But suspicions about its ultimate intentions, after nearly two decades of nuclear secrecy exposed only four years ago, have led to UN Security Council sanctions for its refusal to freeze its enrichment program.

It was unclear what the purpose of the uranium gas feed was. A diplomat accredited to the IAEA, who demanded anonymity because he was disclosing confidential information, said the operation appeared to be part of "stress tests" meant see if the machines were running smoothly.

But he and another diplomat said that, even if the operation was not meant to enrich large amounts of uranium, it appeared to be the last step before larger-scale enrichment begins.
    Last week, Iran said it had begun operating 3,000 centrifuges at its Natanz facility - nearly 10 times the previously known number. The US, Britain, France and others criticized the announcement, but experts - and several world powers - expressed skepticism that Iran's claims were true.

Still the letter reflected a swift advance in the program. A little more than two weeks ago, diplomats familiar with Iran's nuclear dossier had said Teheran was running only a little more than 600 centrifuges, and had not introduced any uranium gas into them.

Its heavy water enrichment facilities at Arak also are under suspicion, because the plant produces plutonium, which can also be used in an arms program. Iran argues it needs the plant for medical research, despite a Security Council demand that it also freeze construction at Arak.
    When it is completed within the next decade, Arak will produce enough plutonium for two bombs a year.

Iran last month announced it was unilaterally abrogating part of its Safeguards Agreements linked with the IAEA under which Teheran is obligated to report to the agency six months before it introduces nuclear material of any kind into any facility. In his letter, Heinonen suggested that Iran invoked this move in denying his inspectors the right to visit the Arak facility, but argued it was illegal, because such agreements "cannot be modified unilaterally."

Beyond that, Heinonen said, IAEA inspectors should be allowed to visit Arak because the section abrogated by Iran had to do with early provision of design information of new nuclear facilities and "not to the frequency or timing of" agency inspections to verify information on design already provided by Iran.

http://www.jpost.com/servlet/Satellite?apage=2&cid=1176152828140&pagename=JPost/JPArticle/ShowFull

2. Shogun

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,260
    So.....

assasination and terrorism is OK when OUR side does it?

I ask you, if this exact article were written by muslims would you have already pounced on it, the author, the publishing entity AND culture that produced it instead of already making excuses for Israeli sentiment calling for an ASSINATION?

:eusa_wall:

3. hjmick

hjmick Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,126
    Are you talking to yourself? You posted the article, then you asked yourself the question? You have left me confused. :confused:

4. Shogun

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,260
    I posted the article for referance and I posted my question for debate...

did you have a comment?

5. hjmick

hjmick Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,126
    Ah, okay.

Well, as an American who views Iran as, at the very least, a thorn in the side of the west and at the most a potential threat to Isreal, the interests of the U.S., it's allies, and the general population of the region, including the Iranian people, I understand the sentiment of the article's author and find it hard to disagree with. While I have, at times (usually out of frustration), advocated changing our (the U.S.) relationship with Israel for the over all stability of the region, I recognize that the Israelis do not have a friend in the vacinity. To the contrary, just about all of their neighbors want them wiped off the map. Sucks to be them.

Now, that being said, I can honestly say that had a similar article appeared in an Iranian newspaper and I had happened upon it, I would have more than likely posted it and held it up as an example of just what it is we in the west are up against. I would have pointed out the futility of trying to reason with Ahmadinejad and might have gone so far as to say we should just "take him out." He is a dangerous man controlled by dangerous men.

I am sure that the message boards in Iran are burning up with posts discussing the article you posted. All politics is local.

I do not advocate terrorist tactics, I find them deplorable. Political assassination, while despicable and unseemly, has been a fact of life since two tribes declared themselves seperate nations.

Some would argue that political assassination can spare the lives of thousand of soldiers, in some cases they may be right. I would only say they should look to Archduke Franz Ferdinand before setting a course of action.

6. Shogun

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,260
    I appriciate that response.

I wish more people could discuss Israel and Palestine in such a fashion.

While I understand the position that Israel is in and sympathize with their position in the middle east I have to wonder how ironic it is to rationalize assasination while selling a war on terror...

It reminds me how ironic it is that the ONLY nation to ever rationalize using a nuke on CIVILIANS is the sme nation that wants to regulate who can and who cannot have nukes. OR, I daresay, splitting hairs with labels while condemning torture while rationalizing its use in "snatch and interrogate" operations... I have to wonder why a muslim in the mid east would consider what the west has to offer them while facing such a blatant hypocracy. If our leader were assasinated we would franzy and pounce on the nation that openly claimed it much like we pounced on the mid east after 9/11...

is it outlanding to expect iran to react any different? do we stand for righteousness and correct behaviour when dealing with enemies or do we act as our enemies and then rob ourselves of any moral authority while becoming just another thug on the street of the world?

If Israel can validate assasination then they are no better than those that assasinate them. Hell, if I were Iran and was ambivilent about Israel before this article I sure as hell would be just as ready to eliminate Israel just like America would, and has, done with those who issue open threats to OUR leaders. If Cuba issued this same manifesto about bush Im positive that we would have our hands in Havana within a year.

Israel needs to decide to rise above or to play in the same dirt as those they demonize as savages.... there is no two ways about it.

7. hjmick

hjmick Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,126
    It's always easy to rationalize assassination, until it's your guy who becomes the target.

8. Shogun

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,260
    EXACTLY!

I bet if an Iranian wrote this about an Israeli leader then it would be one more reason to label Iran a "terrorist state"....

I dunno...

I guess I just believe the turnabout is fairplay unless one side is selling a moral highroad... in which case they must stick to that high road or become just as bad as those that they are quick to demonize.

9. Gunny

Gunny Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,770
    And he has called repeatedly for the eradication of Israel and the genocide of a people. That isn't an excuse ... its fact.

Was I one of those people he wishes to eradicate, I'd drop the hammer on him and his little gaggle of Mullah's in a heartbeat.

10. 90K

90K BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +64
    Who cares if a former Mossad chief said kill Ahmadinejad? Talk to any CIA field agent and they'll tell you things that will blow you away. Death and being a target is the way the world works. Every spy organization has its specific targets. And many of the spy networks work with each other in many cases. If someone gets dropped it is because someone higher up made the call. And I can assure you that if Israel wanted Ahmadinejad he'd be 6 foot under now. Nobody is untouchable in this world if they are in the spot light.
    And about if Iran said anything to the original post they would be labeled as a terrorist network. And they'd get bombed into the stone ages by Israel just for good meassure.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1