Former election commissioner: Cohen and Trump didn't violate campaign finance law

So if I hire a hit man, I am not guilty.

Wow.

The purpose of election campaign laws is to make matters transparent and equal for all the candidates. Voters are entitled to knowing the facts about each candidate. trump and Cohen took the voter's opportunity away to knowing the facts about the orange idiot's affairs. The money was paid to hide who would have been a very embarrassing story, shortly before the election.

If Hillary or a campaign associate had paid the media to hide the issue about her computer server, she would have been guilty of campaign finance law. Does that help? Naw, trumpettes are always going to be trumpettes....
Keep deluding yourself if it makes you feel better. Trump will never be indicted for violating campaign contribution laws.

Actually, the entire trump criminal enterprise may be a risk. Even after your orange king leaves office, the Feds and the States are going to investigate the trump shell game to death. He didn't want to win. He didn't think he would win. NOw he is in a corner....he is getting more and more desperate every day.
Your fantasies may be ridiculous, but that's what makes them so entertaining.

More crimes and more investigations every day. The curtain in coming down on the trump regime...
More parking tickets, jaywalking, yada, yada, yada.

Just released today...tapes of Trump agreeing to hush payments to those with damaging information on him

Felony

Wow.

The purpose of election campaign laws is to make matters transparent and equal for all the candidates. Voters are entitled to knowing the facts about each candidate. trump and Cohen took the voter's opportunity away to knowing the facts about the orange idiot's affairs. The money was paid to hide who would have been a very embarrassing story, shortly before the election.

If Hillary or a campaign associate had paid the media to hide the issue about her computer server, she would have been guilty of campaign finance law. Does that help? Naw, trumpettes are always going to be trumpettes....
Keep deluding yourself if it makes you feel better. Trump will never be indicted for violating campaign contribution laws.

Actually, the entire trump criminal enterprise may be a risk. Even after your orange king leaves office, the Feds and the States are going to investigate the trump shell game to death. He didn't want to win. He didn't think he would win. NOw he is in a corner....he is getting more and more desperate every day.

Funny how it wasn't the "Trump criminal enterprise" when he was giving money to Democrats and on "The Apprentice".

Why would he have thought he couldn't win against a woman who lost the 08 and 16 primaries?

Do you really want to open the door to go after a president or any other politician after he leaves office?

Can the government go after Obama for Fast and Furious and Anwar al-Awlaki?
Remember how the lefties were all screaming in unison that Trump couldn't prosecute Hillary because she was his political opponent. Now they are all screaming that they can go after Trump precisely because he is their political opponent.

Dims are all Stalinist scum.

Sure before the election.

Giuliani told The Washington Post that Trump did not know about the payment at the time it was made in October 2016. He also said he did not know when Trump learned of it. He said he spoke to Trump “about two weeks ago” about the payment, and it was at that time that Trump “probably” got “the full picture for the first time” about the payment.
You just blew your own question out of the water!

The payment to Stormy was therefore an illegal campaign contribution.

Well if that's so then the money the DNC and Hitlery paid to Steele for the fake Trump dossier should be considered a campaign contribution.
Is this topic about hillary? The pussy grabber has to pay foe breaking laws...get off his penis a bit. Unless if you like pussy grabbers who happen to be criminals.
And there's the second logical fallacy of Claudette's sentence. That old standby of every pseudocon, the red herring.
So Hillary's crimes don't matter, only Trump's? Not only did you just prove you're stupid, you also demonstrated that you're a totally amoral reptile.
What if I told you :
1. I dont care about Hillary.
2. I didn't vote for her.
3. Thr OP is about the criminal Trump

I'll say it for the millionth time...if you find trump on top of your wife, you will find him amd excuse and blame your wife.

Whoops! Another snowflake scheme to get Trump gets shot out of the saddle.

Former election commissioner: Cohen and Trump didn't violate campaign finance law

Trump-haters hoping the president’s former personal attorney, Michael Cohen, will provide the evidence needed to impeach the president and perhaps even “lock him up” are likely headed for a bitter disappointment. The Cohen guilty pleas are likely irrelevant to the fate of President Trump.

That’s because in my judgment – as someone who served for two years as a member of the Federal Election Commission – the campaign finance law violations Cohen pleaded guilty to committing, allegedly at Donald Trump’s direction, aren’t really violations.

If I’m right – that is, if Cohen didn’t really violate campaign finance law, despite his ill-advised guilty plea – then it would be impossible for Trump to have violated campaign finance law by directing Cohen to take a perfectly legal action.

Confused? That’s understandable, because the media lump all the charges Cohen pleaded guilty to together when explaining this complex case. But in reality, Cohen was sentenced Wednesday in U.S. District Court in New York City on several separate and unrelated charges.

Cohen was sentenced to three years in prison by a federal judge and was also ordered to pay almost $2 million in fines, restitution and forfeitures after earlier pleading guilty to multiple counts of business and tax fraud. Those crimes have absolutely nothing to do with Trump, but rather involve Cohen’s own business dealings.

In addition, Cohen was sentenced on his guilty pleas to violating campaign finance law on Trump’s behalf – an action that, as I will explain, I believe was not really a crime at all.
LOLOL

Hurry up and tell the SDNY that Cohen is innocent!!

1348488761322-smiley_rofl.gif

Funny how it wasn't the "Trump criminal enterprise" when he was giving money to Democrats and on "The Apprentice".

Why would he have thought he couldn't win against a woman who lost the 08 and 16 primaries?

Do you really want to open the door to go after a president or any other politician after he leaves office?

Remember how the lefties were all screaming in unison that Trump couldn't prosecute Hillary because she was his political opponent. Now they are all screaming that they can go after Trump precisely because he is their political opponent.

Wow. What a crock of shit. Trump is welcome anytime to try to prosecute Hillary Clinton about anything. Sure, Trump & you Russian loving dickheads think the President should just call the DOJ & prosecute their political adversaries.

Mueller is NOT a political adversary ypu God damn wortheless stupid shit. He is a Republican appointed by Trump's own DOJ.

Jesus Christ you are a fucking moron.

Wow.

Fast & Furious was a legal operation similar to those employed to track smugglers. The operation was run by a local office & did not stem from orders out of the White House.

Al Awlaki was US citizen who joined Al Qaeda & was recruiting suicide bomber s . I am not surprised a Trump supporter would also defend Al Awlaki.

Wow. What a crock of shit. Trump is welcome anytime to try to prosecute Hillary Clinton about anything. Sure, Trump & you Russian loving dickheads think the President should just call the DOJ & prosecute their political adversaries.

Mueller is NOT a political adversary ypu God damn wortheless stupid shit. He is a Republican appointed by Trump's own DOJ.

He's an establishment RINO Republican, which means he's indistinguishable from a Democrat. One thing is certain, he believes his job it to destroy Trump any way he can. He doesn't give a damn about justice or the law.

Fast & Furious was a legal operation similar to those employed to track smugglers. The operation was run by a local office & did not stem from orders out of the White House.

Al Awlaki was US citizen who joined Al Qaeda & was recruiting suicide bomber s . I am not surprised a Trump supporter would also defend Al Awlaki.

No one is defending Al Awlaki. He is a U.S. citizen which means he has rights. I wouldn't want any president taking away a person's rights without a trial.

Trump-haters hoping the president’s former personal attorney, Michael Cohen, will provide the evidence needed to impeach the president and perhaps even “lock him up” are likely headed for a bitter disappointment. The Cohen guilty pleas are likely irrelevant to the fate of President Trump.

That’s because in my judgment – as someone who served for two years as a member of the Federal Election Commission – the campaign finance law violations Cohen pleaded guilty to committing, allegedly at Donald Trump’s direction, aren’t really violations.

If I’m right – that is, if Cohen didn’t really violate campaign finance law, despite his ill-advised guilty plea – then it would be impossible for Trump to have violated campaign finance law by directing Cohen to take a perfectly legal action.

Confused? That’s understandable, because the media lump all the charges Cohen pleaded guilty to together when explaining this complex case. But in reality, Cohen was sentenced Wednesday in U.S. District Court in New York City on several separate and unrelated charges.

Cohen was sentenced to three years in prison by a federal judge and was also ordered to pay almost $2 million in fines, restitution and forfeitures after earlier pleading guilty to multiple counts of business and tax fraud. Those crimes have absolutely nothing to do with Trump, but rather involve Cohen’s own business dealings.

In addition, Cohen was sentenced on his guilty pleas to violating campaign finance law on Trump’s behalf – an action that, as I will explain, I believe was not really a crime at all.

Right........So, the prosecution was WRONG.....the Judge was WRONG and Cohen's plea (and his attorney) were all WRONG.......

.....and Trump is just this poor picked on clown........Right...........LOL

The judge simply accepted the plea. That's what he's supposed to do. Cohen is doing what the prosecutor demanded, whether it was the truth or not. The prosecutor is definitely a leftwing scumbag. He's dead wrong.

The prosecutor is not Robert Mueller. This part of the investigation is being handled by the US Attorney's office in southern NY. You know, the guy Donald Trump appointed.

Right........So, the prosecution was WRONG.....the Judge was WRONG and Cohen's plea (and his attorney) were all WRONG.......

.....and Trump is just this poor picked on clown........Right...........LOL

When you go from Trump and Putin collusion to paying off mistresses which most Americans believes happens all the time it will come off as "poor picked on" Trump

Most people do not believe it happens all the time. No one is going to have any sympathy for Trump except his sycophants.

COHEN: I'm a lawyer. I know the law. I broke the law. I'm guilty.

TARDS: Nuh-uh!

Do the Trumpanzees even convince themselves? I've wondered. But they do better with the "everbody does it defense."

And in a sense all that access Hillary sold to foreign govts so they'd pose with her to show she was the greatest ever diplomat was essentially campaign advertising.
Do you turds ever stop lying?

What would you know about the truth. Trump supporters like Trump are the biggest liars.

COHEN: I'm a lawyer. I know the law. I broke the law. I'm guilty.

TARDS: Nuh-uh!
Mueller has a gun to Cohen's head, dumbass.
That "gun" being hard evidence, dumbass.

Falsified tax returns, falsified bank statements, wire transfers.

That's irrelevant. Mueller still has a gun to his head, so any claims he makes are simply not credible.

Wrong. Mueller is not the prosecutor and obviously they have corroboration for what Cohen is saying. If they didn't they would not have gone forward with the plea deal.

Oh, how sad. And just think, Cohen is reporting for prison on March 6, 2019.
It's a pity he didn't have you for a lawyer.

USMB Republicans talk as if Cohen isn't going to prison for multiple felonies. It's almost as if they think he acted alone. Only he got paid. And he got paid by someone who could write checks in the Trump Family Business. So else could write checks?

The Finance manager? Yes, only he got immunity.

Who else:

Trump

Trump Jr.

Ivanka

Eric.

And that's it. No one else.

Somebody is going

down

down

down

Oh and since when is it illegal to pay off someone accusing you of having an affair with your own money??
Trump said he didn't know about the $130,000 payment. So how could it have been his own money?

[/QUOT

Oh and since when is it illegal to pay off someone accusing you of having an affair with your own money??
Trump said he didn't know about the $130,000 payment. So how could it have been his own money?

Sure before the election.

Giuliani told The Washington Post that Trump did not know about the payment at the time it was made in October 2016. He also said he did not know when Trump learned of it. He said he spoke to Trump “about two weeks ago” about the payment, and it was at that time that Trump “probably” got “the full picture for the first time” about the payment.

You just blew your own question out of the water!

The payment to Stormy was therefore an illegal campaign contribution.

Well if that's so then the money the DNC and Hitlery paid to Steele for the fake Trump dossier should be considered a campaign contribution.

They paid for a report on Donald Trump. It is not a campaign contribution.

Unfortunately, multiple federal judges, show know the law, disagree with this "former elections commissioner."

YOU LOSE!
Multiple federal judges agree with the FEC commissioner. Most important, there's a 5-4 Republican majority on the Supreme Court.

This is going nowhere.

Why would it go to the Supreme Court. No one is taking it there. Your orange king is and will always be an unindicted orange king....wait....until he leaves office. Then the Feds will come knocking.
ROFL! No they won't. Remember when all you dumbasses said you were going to continue investigating Kavanaugh? Obviously, that was pure bullshit.

The House should investigate whether Kavanaugh lied under oath.

He's an establishment RINO Republican, which means he's indistinguishable from a Democrat. One thing is certain, he believes his job it to destroy Trump any way he can. He doesn't give a damn about justice or the law.

So you say. Anyone who stands up for their values are considered establishment. You have no clue what you are talking about.

This is the "former FEC member"

Von Spakovsky received his recess appointment by President Bush to the FEC in January 2006. His confirmation hearings were contentious, as Democratic Senators criticized von Spakovsky's Justice Department tenure and accused him of partisanship.[20] A group of career Justice Department staff wrote a letter to the Senate arguing against von Spakovsky's appointment, saying that he "played a major role in the implementation of practices which injected partisan political factors into decision-making on enforcement matters and into the hiring process, and included repeated efforts to intimidate career staff."[21][22][23] In response to questioning from the Senate, von Spakovsky repeatedly asserted that he could not remember or recall his involvement in various controversial Justice Department decisions, drawing comparisons to the testimony of former Attorney General Alberto Gonzales.[24]

Faced with mounting opposition, von Spakovsky ultimately withdrew from the FEC confirmation process.[10] He subsequently assumed a position with the Heritage Foundation, a politically conservative think tank.

Von Spakovsky has claimed that about 1400 votes, four times the margin of victory, were cast by ineligible prisoners in the 2008 Minnesota race for U.S. Senate, which was won by Al Franken.[25] However, Von Spakovsky's statistics have been labeled "fraudulent" by the Hennepin County Attorney who investigated the matter.[

Michael Cohen’s Non-Crime: Prosecutor Twists Campaign-Finance Law | National Review
The settlements in this hypothetical are made “for the purpose of influencing the election,” yet they are not “expenditures” under the Federal Election Campaign Act. Indeed, if they were, the candidate would have to pay for them with campaign funds. Thus, an unscrupulous but popular businessman could declare his candidacy, gather contributions from the public, use those contributions to settle various preexisting lawsuits, and then withdraw from the race. A nice trick!

But in fact, the contrary rule prevails, because the candidate’s obligation to resolve the business’s lawsuits exists “irrespective” of the campaign. Similarly, any payments made to women by Mr. Trump or his associates are independent of the campaign.

Forum List

Back