Foriegn policy

dilloduck said:
Where are we gonna keep our troops then?

Well if we are not going to keep our troops in foriegn countries, then I would have to guess we would have them stay here on US soil... protecting us. I know I would feel much safer having troops protecting us in America rather than interfering in other nations by conducting nation building excercises.

I know President Bush was opposed to nation building during the last election cycle. Appearantly we are supposed to forget that now.

Hey great, the Navy can stop investing money on expensive deployments. Think of all the tax payer money we can save by having our ships at US docks. :rolleyes:

MtnBiker said:
Hey great, the Navy can stop investing money on expensive deployments. Think of all the tax payer money we can save by having our ships at US docks. :rolleyes:

I can see it now:

[cue 70s Village People hit]

In the Navy,
You can sail the seven seas (actually, just the three bordering the U.S.)
In the Navy,
You can put your heart at ease (not really, since terrorists will try to bomb the boat)

The war on terror must be brought to the enemy. We should not fight them at home. We should pull troops out of countries that are not sharing our interests such as France and Germany.

dilloduck said:
OOOOOPS 9/11---CMON TP!!!! wake up!!!!

Osama gave three reasons for 9/11. they were...

1. US troops in Saudi Arabia
2. US embargo against Iraq
3. US support of Isreal.

So if we had a non interventionist foreign policy 9/11 would have been MUCH LESS likely. Unfortunately the 9/11 report focused on how our intelligence failed to catch the attack rather than how to prevent people from wanting to attack us to begin with.

So our troops sit on thier asses until the enemy hits the beach?

No. Our troops train at home and act as a deterent rather an instigator to attacks on US soil. As pointed out above, 9/11 was a result of US troops not sitting at home. Just because our troops sit at home during peace time does not mean we do not still look out for invasions and attacks on the US and do something about them. It just does not mean we have troops sitting in 100+ countries pissing off people to the point that they fly airplanes into our buildings.

I understand that you do not agree with this, I do not expect you to. But an non interventionist foriegn policy is something that a large portion of the population is interested in. It is still a reasonable arguement even if you diagree with it. I disagree with bush's plan, but i recognize that it is a popular plan as well and is reasonable. Both should be discussed but unfortunately both Kerry and bush support sending troops to 100's of countries and both want to send more troops to iraq. If the war is such a crucial issue as everyone seems to agree, why would we want to limit the ideas on what to do with iraq to Bush and Kerrys which are both so similar? Badnarik would at the very least bring new ideas to the table. Even if they are dismissed and the voters chose bush instead, I am sure you would agree that america is better off for at least being given the choice.

Travis

Travis

popefumanchu said:
The war on terror must be brought to the enemy. We should not fight them at home. We should pull troops out of countries that are not sharing our interests such as France and Germany.

That would be a great start. here is a list of 135 countries we had troops in as of sept 2003. How many are in the coalition of the willing?

After we remove our troops from all that are not willing to help us, we can then start removing ones that serve no interest to american security.

After we remove those then we can remove the ones that can afford to provide their own military.

how many does that leave us?

SOURCE: http://www.dior.whs.mil/mmid/M05/hst0309.pdf

Afghanistan
Albania
Algeria
Antigua
Argentina
Australia
Austria
Azerbaijan
Bahamas
Bahrain