Ron Reagan & stem cell research

clumzgirl

Mar 27, 2004
ohio
So what's the general concensus?
I can see both sides of the argument...just a blob of cells that will never be implanted in a uterus, (waste not want not?) and yet building blocks of human life as created by the Divine.
I'm relieved Ron Jr. didn't outwardly bash Bush, but I wonder what his father would have said if he had the wherewithall while this technology was developing.
Thoughts?

There is nothing that points to embryonic stem cell as a cure for alzheimer's. The disease is far too destructive for simple tissue regeneration. There are many different kinds of and sources for stem cells that can be utilized for research. Aborted fetus' need not be used. Evil for good does not create good.
I will pray for Ron Reagan and hope that somewhere in his convoluted mind, lessons from is father will emerge.

popefumanchu said:
There is nothing that points to embryonic stem cell as a cure for alzheimer's. The disease is far too destructive for simple tissue regeneration. There are many different kinds of and sources for stem cells that can be utilized for research. Aborted fetus' need not be used. Evil for good does not create good.
I will pray for Ron Reagan and hope that somewhere in his convoluted mind, lessons from is father will emerge.

Even the main proponents of the cause of stem cell research now admit that it being a potential cure for Altzheimer's was a "fairy tale" designed to woo the American public into getting funding for the research.

Creating human life and then "harvesting" it...sick. Whether the embryo is in the womb or in a petri dish, it is still the beginning of a human being.

Anyway I heard Michael Reagan say that embryonic stem cells are not all what they are cracked up to be because they are causing cancer and stuff later on and that adult stem cell research is looking promising. He says that Ron isn't operating on all the facts.

Something about Ron Reagan Jr. just makes me want to barf.

Not only that, but I think I also read that Michael Reagan and one of Reagan's advisors said that Reagan himself would have been against federal funding for embryonic stem cell research.

Hobbit said:
Even the main proponents of the cause of stem cell research now admit that it being a potential cure for Altzheimer's was a "fairy tale" designed to woo the American public into getting funding for the research.

I didn't know this. I am leaning toward the side of this that says it's wrong. It's a difficult decision though because if one of my children were ever sick,(God forbid)I think I would want anything to make them better. Something about creating a life just for research doesn't seem right. I am definitely pro life,and think when someone comes and goes is up to God. Someone told me(and I don't know if it's accurate) that this research can be done with allready existing adult cells. ANyone know?

As far as Ron Jr.,I can't stand the guy and as they pointed out on the news,he is being used by the Dems for his name. I don't think any true Reagan followers are going to change parties because of what Ron Jr. says. I also saw Michael Reagan critisizing Ron because he wasn't at the ceremony for the Ronald Reagan ship. Ron Jr. said it was a "weapon of mass destruction",therefore he would not go. Can you believe that crap?!!!!

Ron Reagan is an intelligent guy and he made a compelling argument that embryonic stem cell reserarch has great possibilities. It is clear he is commited to his cause and that is admirable.

If you listened to him you would know that the embryos that could be used are stored by couples attempting invitro fertilization. They would be discarded anyway. What a waste.

Here is a perfect example where stubborn ideology has gotten in the way of common sense.

I am not sure exactly what you are aiming at "The One",but creating a life and throwing it away in any terms is not that great of an idea to me. I don't see it as some silly idea,but a question of morals.

krisy said:
I am not sure exactly what you are aiming at "The One",but creating a life and throwing it away in any terms is not that great of an idea to me. I don't see it as some silly idea,but a question of morals.

Well then, you should be mad at the process of invitro fertilization which has couples create dozens of embryos in the hope that one may stick and impregnate the woman. If the procedure is successful, the rest of the embryos are destroyed.

Remember, we are talking about "life" at the cellular level. These are blastocysts that are incapable of feeling pain. No nervous system, no pulmonary system, no appendages.

TheOne said:
Well then, you should be mad at the process of invitro fertilization which has couples create dozens of embryos in the hope that one may stick and impregnate the woman. If the procedure is successful, the rest of the embryos are destroyed.

Remember, we are talking about "life" at the cellular level. These are blastocysts that are incapable of feeling pain. No nervous system, no pulmonary system, no appendages.

I understand your point,but I guess I always felt that life is life,no matter what level it's at. I know they can do good things with this,but you don't hear about the people that are sick and still believe it's wrong. My stepfather has MS and isn't crazy about this. He takes shots every other day and goes blind in one eye about once a year for a month or so. He does well the rest of the time. He has a lot to lose,as well as my mom,but they don't like it either. I will admit,it's a toughy. As far as the in vitro,I don't want to offend anyone,but I never said that was the greatest thing either. I can't imagine not being able to have a child,yet how many are thrown away. I guess I'm on the fence,but leaning to one side!!!

krisy said:
I understand your point,but I guess I always felt that life is life,no matter what level it's at. I know they can do good things with this,but you don't hear about the people that are sick and still believe it's wrong. My stepfather has MS and isn't crazy about this. He takes shots every other day and goes blind in one eye about once a year for a month or so. He does well the rest of the time. He has a lot to lose,as well as my mom,but they don't like it either. I will admit,it's a toughy. As far as the in vitro,I don't want to offend anyone,but I never said that was the greatest thing either. I can't imagine not being able to have a child,yet how many are thrown away. I guess I'm on the fence,but leaning to one side!!!

Invitro fertilization creates life where there would be none at all. I can see your stance based on a "God's will" argument, but I can assure you, without invitro fertilization technology, 114,000 American humans wouldn't have been born.

The whole debate is a load of crap!

Stem cell research is being done as we speak in the private sector. All of the dem's and Ron Jr are making a big deal about this because GWB said he didn't want to federally fund this research. The dems will seize on anything to use as a club to bash Bush with.............
:banana2:

I never really paid much attention to Jr. Regan until I heard he was going to speak. On MSNBC the other night he seemed very feminine. I know he is married, but I am sure he is either 1) in the closet or 2) still confused about his own sexuality.

TheOne said:
If the procedure is successful, the rest of the embryos are destroyed.

uhum...... BULLSHIT!

My wife and I have been through this procedure - SIX TIMES.

The embryos that are not used can be either:

1) Destroyed
2) Frozen for future use
3) Donated to infertile couples

curious question, but has ron jr. always been this despised by the conservative clan or is this just a recent wave of dislike for him since he's developed some liberal tendencies?

DKSuddeth said:
curious question, but has ron jr. always been this despised by the conservative clan or is this just a recent wave of dislike for him since he's developed some liberal tendencies?

I think it's just recent. Even a few years ago I think he has generally liked by the Right.

gop_jeff said:
I think it's just recent. Even a few years ago I think he has generally liked by the Right.

so this would be further proof of my theory that anyone who strays from regular conservative thinking becomes the newest right wing pinata.

TheOne said:

First, there are several agencies that specialize in donating these embryos to infertile couples. The one I'm most familiar with is at http://www.snowflakes.org/.

Second, what you refer to as a blastocyst is still a human life in the beginning stages. It has its own unique genetic makeup, and will still, given the right conditions, develop into a human baby.

DKSuddeth said:
so this would be further proof of my theory that anyone who strays from regular conservative thinking becomes the newest right wing pinata.

Much like Zell Miller is the latest left wing pinata?

gop_jeff said:
Much like Zell Miller is the latest left wing pinata?

might be, I pay so little attention to who the dems are bashing that I didn't realize they were bashing miller. even thats wrong but it just further shows that partisan politics will eventually destroy this country.

Forum List

Back