For those who don't understand American gun culture...Open Carry and it's issues, by Massad Ayoob.

I don't push to see open carry outlawed. But I think it has been used by idiots to strike fear in people and by "mall ninjas" trying to look cool.
I would rather states got a handle on this issue, especially in regards to rifles. Regarding handguns, it does not bother me to see a barrel or butt poking out of somebody's clothes, though I would prefer knowing that if it was there, they had a permit, which is pretty much the case in my state. We still have sensible regulation here.

The only time I have open carried a long gun was when I was going hunting and stopped for breakfast. Rather than leave over $1k in the truck (locked or not) I carried it inside with me. Little place out in the country, so nobody batted an eye.
Sound like a sensible guy to me. Gone are the days you could safely leave your rifle or shotgun on the rack in the back widow of the pickup.

Yep...when I was in highschool rifles and shotguns in the back window of trucks was a common sight.
I think thats a fine indicator of the good old days.
Of course. During junior or senior year, it was not uncommon to go hunting with friends and my house was way out of town.

During Goose season here in Katy Texas it was common for kids to miss school to go hunting,especially on opening day.
The skies would be black with all the birds and the rice fields looked like they were covered in snow.
Nowadays I only see geese a few times each winter,i'm not an environmentalist by any stretch but it's sad to see the decline of their habitat.
More duck than geese in TN. Habitat in west TN being maintained by ducks unlimited and politicians in east TN. You can get the crap sued out of you for even clearing clogs and beaver dams on you own property, so flooding more a problem than in the 70s or before. Lot of places you used to squirrel hunt, rabbit hunt or raise crops no longer tillable due to water. We don't control the streams. We just proclaim them wetlands whether they ever were for most of the 20th century or not then keep replacing bridges and making them higher. Ecology is fine. We have more hawks, fox, wild turkey, deer and yes, duck than ever, but just because you farmed the land when you were growing up or your dad and granddad did, doesn't mean you are free to keep farming it.

We have a shitload of ducks as well.
Especially on the coastal marshlands. We used to go out on camo jon boats/floating duck blinds and bust the shit out of em.

The other side...

We discussed the “pros” of open carry. Now we have to discuss the “cons.” There are physical hazards to open carry. Opponents of the concept say, “The openly carried gun will make you a target. Either the bad guys will grab your gun or they’ll shoot you first.” Advocates of open carry say “No, that’s never happened.” Unfortunately, they’re wrong.

TV station KOIN in Portland, Oregon, reported in early 2015, “William Coleman III was robbed of his Walther-brand P22 just after 2:00 a.m. October 4 in Gresham by a young man who asked him for it—and flashed his own weapon as persuasion. Coleman, 21, was talking to his cousin in the 17200 block of NE Glisan St., after purchasing the handgun earlier that day, when a young man asked him for a cigarette, police said. The man then asked about the gun, pulled a gun from his own waistband and said ‘I like your gun. Give it to me.’ Coleman handed over the gun and the man fled on foot.”
-----
The anti-gun people claim to be peaceful, but if you read their websites and twitterstreams, an amazing number of them seem to be vicious bullies. You’ll see statements like “If I see anyone open carrying a gun, I’ll assume he’s the next mass murderer and clobber him from behind!” You’ll also see them recommend “SWAT-ing”: “Call the cops and tell them there’s a man with a gun there who’s about to murder everybody.”

In Tampa in 2015, a 62-year old black man with a carry permit was observed to have a concealed handgun by a 43-year old white guy, who took it upon himself to tackle the older man and take him to the ground in the entranceway of a Walmart while screaming, “He has a gun!” I suspect it was more an “anti-gun” thing than an “anti-black” thing, but it hasn’t gone to trial yet, so I don’t know for sure. The guy who attacked the legal carrier was charged with battery. It’s a miracle no one was killed, but it lets us all know there’s another danger to open carry out there today.

I am not an open carry supporter for hand guns. That goes double 100% against for long guns anywhere, anytime except in game hunting or range practice, acceptance for your own private property of course. In your house, yard, or anywhere on your land, carry anything you like or allow others to carry in plain sight locked and loaded if you choose. Heck for home defense I would approve full auto, belt fed if that is what you choose for your personal defense, figuring your house, your land, your rules. I am not against owning a being proficient with any type of weaponry. That said, they have no sane place on the streets of cities or towns and are only meant for intimidation or in use or preparation to perpetrate mass casualty incidents.
My motorcycle club was talking about this at breakfast Thursday. Out of the twelve riders present, five were carrying concealed (sort of), three others had permits but weren't carrying and the remaining four were from states that don't allow CCWs and were part time Arizona residents. That seems pretty average of non-outlaw bikers around here. Of course the outlaws are all armed.
Concealed is a much better tactic, unless you just prefer to be shot first. Surprising, the people who are actually carrying. I have become a lot more observant since I started carrying and like some of those you referred to, I don't carry all the time. The ones carrying are the ones you watch first unless you know them or in some cases because you know them. In a perfect world, nobody knows you are carrying until it is too late and you have kept your skills up. I support concealed, by permit holders.

When I was a FFL I suggested and even gave that book away to many first time buyers. Very inexpensive book, excellent info and insight.

For those who don't understand American gun culture-TopicTitle

Nah, we understand it. You compensate for things with your gun.
Well... that is the point of self defense is it not? To level the playing field, right?

Well... that is the point of self defense is it not? To level the playing field, right?
Not for me. If I am being attacked, I would much rather be found to surprisingly have and effectively employ a definite unbeatable advantage if I have to use it. That is why I am licensed to carry concealed. I don't give a rats ass about a level playing field. I would rather win the encounter. Level playing fields are for sporting events and chumps.

The main 'flaw' of concealed carrying, I think, is that it takes longer time to get your defence ready.

Something else to learn.....the difference between "Duty to Retreat," "Stand Your Ground," and the "Castle Doctrine."

However, in the heat of the moment, while being attacked, when fear and adrenaline are pumping through the body, the imposition of a legal duty to retreat can be a harsh precondition.

This is why most states have reconsidered the unfair burden duty to retreat places on the victim and have abandoned the legal duty to retreat in favor of its converse: no legal duty to retreat.
-----
Stand Your Ground” means if you are anywhere you have a legal right to be and you are attacked in a way that would justify the use of force or deadly force, you are not legally required to consider your ability to retreat before defending yourself.

For example, if you are approached when leaving the grocery store by someone threatening you with a knife, the fact that you didn’t flee by retreating to the store or running for your car before defending yourself can’t be used against you. You may stay where you are legally allowed to be (ergo, stand your ground) and use deadly force to defend yourself.

Typically, most Stand Your Ground jurisdictions require the defender to meet a few factors before using force or deadly force in self-defense. These factors generally include: you must have a legal right to be in the place you are located when the force (or deadly force) is used; your use of force (or deadly force) is legally justified; you did not provoke the confrontation; and you were not engaged in criminal activity at the time you were acting in self-defense.
-----

The Castle Doctrine
Typically, the duty to retreat doesn’t apply in your own home because of a legal philosophy commonly referred to as the Castle Doctrine. Under the Castle Doctrine, a person, as the “King” or “Queen” of their own home, is never required to flee their castle before using force or deadly force against an unlawful intruder.

All 50 states have some variation of the Castle Doctrine on their books, although a specific state’s laws may not actually contain the words “Castle Doctrine.”

The importance of the Castle Doctrine lies in its creation of a legal presumption. Generally, the Castle Doctrine’s legal presumption has the effect of establishing the reasonableness of a person’s belief that force and/or deadly force was necessary to prevent substantial bodily harm, death, or a forceful felony. Unless rebutted, a jury would be obligated to find them not guilty if charged and tried for assault or murder.

In a self-defense case, it is of the utmost importance to establish the Castle Doctrine. Similar to “Stand Your Ground,” the specific factors and wording of this law vary from state to state.

How Will You Be Judged?

Contrary to what their hysterical critics say, Castle Doctrine and Stand Your Ground laws are not licenses to kill. While each state’s self-defense law is different, we see common elements. That is, force — including deadly force — can only be used in the face of an imminent attack and that any force used to defend yourself be immediately necessary and not disproportionate to the attacker’s use of unlawful force.

Not for me. If I am being attacked, I would much rather be found to surprisingly have and effectively employ a definite unbeatable advantage if I have to use it. That is why I am licensed to carry concealed. I don't give a rats ass about a level playing field. I would rather win the encounter. Level playing fields are for sporting events and chumps.
That's basically what I am saying. Attackers want an unfair advantage.

My motorcycle club was talking about this at breakfast Thursday. Out of the twelve riders present, five were carrying concealed (sort of), three others had permits but weren't carrying and the remaining four were from states that don't allow CCWs and were part time Arizona residents. That seems pretty average of non-outlaw bikers around here. Of course the outlaws are all armed.
The 'Ol Ladies carry. Most 1%ers are felons.

Open carrying a sidearm will give you neck swivel pain. It's kind of an invitation to sneak up behind me and knock me out with something. Then the gun, and possibly my wallet, are yours.

Forum List

Back