Food stamps or junk food stamps?

There are of course reasons they don't (RE: Hershey and Pepsi make sure they donate to the right people.) and as a matter of respect, I say don't embarrass the many who are fair about the way they handle their SNAP benefits simply because a few make bad choices. If some guy who's been working all day long to house his family uses part of his SNAP benefits to buy a coke and a moon pie at the end of that day, I'm fine with it.

I agree about the treat at the end of the day.If he has worked all day, how about he pay for it with the money he earns and not the food stamps?
Why do you keep assuming that just because someone has a job, they have disposable income to buy some soda and snacks?

What if after they pay their bills, their check is gone?

They don't get to enjoy a snack like the rest of us just because they don't make as much money?

Then you say the words like anyone else does, or should

I cant afford it.

There are of course reasons they don't (RE: Hershey and Pepsi make sure they donate to the right people.) and as a matter of respect, I say don't embarrass the many who are fair about the way they handle their SNAP benefits simply because a few make bad choices. If some guy who's been working all day long to house his family uses part of his SNAP benefits to buy a coke and a moon pie at the end of that day, I'm fine with it.

I agree about the treat at the end of the day.If he has worked all day, how about he pay for it with the money he earns and not the food stamps?

How about if you realize that being conservative doesn't mean being a god damned bitch? You do realize there are people who are struggling just to make ends meet right now right? Should we further demean those folks by putting more on them? I got an idea, let's make a special SNAP line at the grocery store and if you are using food stamps you go there once a month and the grocery store gives you what they see fit to give you, based off of Syrenn's approval.

I do realize that ass hole. And i would love to sigh up for the job of check out and do the judging :lol:

Syrenn, you cheap bitch. You do some figuring for your county and send me a PM on what your share of the entire bill for SNAP is and I'll cut you a check. We wouldn't want you to be out $50 a year to help the poor keep some dignity.

Yeah, my $50 bucks, not theirs.

Who ever sugested anything about striping anyone of their dignity.

How about if you realize that being conservative doesn't mean being a god damned bitch? You do realize there are people who are struggling just to make ends meet right now right? Should we further demean those folks by putting more on them? I got an idea, let's make a special SNAP line at the grocery store and if you are using food stamps you go there once a month and the grocery store gives you what they see fit to give you, based off of Syrenn's approval.

I do realize that ass hole. And i would love to sigh up for the job of check out and do the judging :lol:

Yeah, I think it's been determined who the asshole is around here.

Hint: You stink.

I gotta say, I'm pleased with the amount of conservatives who have chimed in here in support of helping people out on the food issue.

It's one thing I wouldn't feel comfortable denying to someone because they didn't have enough money for it. I would consider it to fall under "General Welfare" in the constitution. A starving nation would not be a pretty one.

No, especially not the most powerful nation in the world. Taking food stamps from our citizens in need would certainly send negative messages.

Begrudging someone a bag of popcorn is fairly assholish.

I gotta say, I'm pleased with the amount of conservatives who have chimed in here in support of helping people out on the food issue.

It's one thing I wouldn't feel comfortable denying to someone because they didn't have enough money for it. I would consider it to fall under "General Welfare" in the constitution. A starving nation would not be a pretty one.

No, especially not the most powerful nation in the world. Taking food stamps from our citizens in need would certainly send negative messages.

sarah, no one is begrudging them a bag of popcorn
its that its not something they should be buying instead of more healthy foods

The things on that list looked like stuff she would put in their lunches. As far as the pop, thise 12 packs are sometimes on sale, 4 for $8.00.

I really think the guy was getting in her business..

It is simpler than that DiveCon.

How about they buy popcorn and pop it themselves instead of a bag full already popped.

popcorn.jpg

Let's see if I understand y'all correctly.

Anyone that receives any form of welfare has forfeited their dignity and therefore deserves to be treated like a child and told by the government what to do. That's mighty neighborly of y'all. :doubt:

They can still buy junk food...just with their own money.

How about they buy popcorn and pop it themselves instead of a bag full already popped.

popcorn.jpg

What if they don't have a stove or a microwave?

popcorn.jpg

What if they don't have a stove or a microwave?
Hey, birds eat those kernals raw, dammit!.....So can they!...lol

But why do you get to decide what's good for them?

I understand deciding whether they should or shouldn't get money in the first place. But why does someone get to decide what is best for them? If they choose to eat "junk", which is subjective in and of itself, then who cares?

Just eating "junk" doesn't necessarily equate to bad health problems, so that's a ridiculous rationalization from some around here. Some people smoke cigs for fucking 70 years and live healthier lives than people who regularly work out and don't smoke.

A vegetarian considers a piece of meat "junk", while a non-vegetarian who maintains what would be considered a "healthy" diet, most likely doesn't consider it junk.

It's subjective. No one gets to decide the universal label of acceptable food. Food is fucking food at the end of the day, and if it's keeping our nation from starving to death then so be it.

Last edited:
Hey, birds eat those kernals raw, dammit!.....So can they!...lol
Why not just get regular corn and save on dental bills.

Syrenn wouldn't even go that far. Bread and water only.

Ah, but what kind of bread? We can't be letting them buy white bread, that shit is JUNK and will only give them health problems down the road and we'll be footing their medical bills for the rest of their pathetic lives :rolleyes:

They don't get to enjoy a snack like the rest of us just because they don't make as much money?

EXACTLY! It's called not spending what you don't have!

We're not talking about their employment income. We're talking about the food stamps, and you know it.

I'm ok with a working stiff grabbing a bag of doritos and a fucking soda on my dime after a hard day of work. It's not that big of a damn deal, dude.

We're not talking about their employment income. We're talking about the food stamps, and you know it.

I'm ok with a working stiff grabbing a bag of doritos and a fucking soda on my dime after a hard day of work. It's not that big of a damn deal, dude.

It is when you multiply it by 40 million and when you realize that each time they do it they deprive themselves and their kids of real nutrition.

For the life of me I just can't see how eating 4 times as much real food vs 1/4th as much poisonous trash is degrading.

But I am whacky that way.

This thread is BEGGING for somebody to haul out the old maxim: "let them eat carrots, or real nutritious food".

It is when you multiply it by 40 million and when you realize that each time they do it they deprive themselves and their kids of real nutrition.

For the life of me I just can't see how eating 4 times as much real food vs 1/4th as much poisonous trash is degrading.

But I am whacky that way.
I'm with you on the direct food thing. I'd rather see the free cash be done away with.

But you have to realize that nutrition is subjective, and relates to each person's physiology. You can't absolutely label anything as unhealthy, because it might not be NEARLY as bad for someone as opposed to someone else.

Everyone has their own idea of what's good, and not good, for their body.

Some things are obvious, like candy. But you just can't say a bag of potato chips is universally unhealthy for EVERYONE.

Forum List

Back