Flu Pandemic Statistics

Right now what the health officials are saying is that they were hoping it would peak and die off, but that it peaked so early, they expect it to get worse before it fades.

yes! It's dangerous to children! Read the thread and the other 20 threads on the topic!

If you wish to utilize the number of cases of kids who have died from swine flu as indication of its great danger to children, then you must also state that parents are at least twice as dangerous to children - based upon parental murder rates of kids in the U.S.

And then of course, cars are even far more dangerous to children - like off the chart dangerous when compared to pig flu.

Come back in a few weeks pard - let's see how bad the flu is progressing then...:eusa_whistle:

What the hell does that have to do with swine flu?

I've been a long-time proponent of cutting off the hands of all males, to prevent them from killing children.

But, again, it has nothing to do with swine flu.

It's an old message board tactic Allie. When confronted with a fact they can't dispute, they bring up other topics that have nothing to do with the topic being discussed.

Let's recap this thread.

A doctor, a nurse, an almost doctor,& someone who works in a lab trying to stop/cure diseases have made their points about the flu going around right now.

Now Sinatra is comparing it to Global Warming.

Who should we believe? Someone who posts Sarah Palin's Facebook Status as how it is in the world, or those who work in the medical field?

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm....................................

I find two things interesting about this whole discussion:

1. Why do certain folks that just assume that everything done in the medical field, by medical professionals, or by hospitals...and that any recommendation that is made regarding public health...is not an attempt to make people healthier or prevent the spread of disease, but rather it is an attempt for someone else to make a profit??? Do these same people take such a cynical stance when discussing the banking industry? Or manufacturing?

2. Why do some people take the stance that increasing public awareness and vigilance regarding a public health concern is FEARMONGERING? Does anyone really think that ignoring the potential problem is really a better policy than being prepared? Are these the same people who would have considered improvements in the levees around New Orleans to be pointless, as we likely won't have a hurricane strong enough to breach them?

Let's recap this thread.

A doctor, a nurse, an almost doctor,& someone who works in a lab trying to stop/cure diseases have made their points about the flu going around right now.

Who should we believe? Someone who posts Sarah Palin's Facebook Status as how it is in the world, or those who work in the medical field?

1. Why do certain folks that just assume that everything done in the medical field, by medical professionals, or by hospitals...and that any recommendation that is made regarding public health...is not an attempt to make people healthier or prevent the spread of disease, but rather it is an attempt for someone else to make a profit??? Do these same people take such a cynical stance when discussing the banking industry? Or manufacturing?

2. Why do some people take the stance that increasing public awareness and vigilance regarding a public health concern is FEARMONGERING? Does anyone really think that ignoring the potential problem is really a better policy than being prepared? Are these the same people who would have considered improvements in the levees around New Orleans to be pointless, as we likely won't have a hurricane strong enough to breach them?

I wonder the same.

I blame brainwashing.

If you wish to utilize the number of cases of kids who have died from swine flu as indication of its great danger to children, then you must also state that parents are at least twice as dangerous to children - based upon parental murder rates of kids in the U.S.

And then of course, cars are even far more dangerous to children - like off the chart dangerous when compared to pig flu.

Holy Crap, Dude!

You have absolutely no grip on reality, do you???

Again, a complete WTF moment, this thread.

I should have just stayed out of it again because it really does make me mad. I blame E7 for that - drawing me in (;) to you, E7). Hard-headed folks in the face of solid science.

Last edited:
I blame brainwashing.

Isn't it ironic that dishwashing results in clean dishes...

But brainwashing results in filthy minds.

Here is Sintara getting his information:

alex.gif

Let's recap this thread.

Let's ask a doctor!

Just kidding!

I'm all for preparation. I don't particularly trust the CDC because it's not just a warehouse for stats, it's also a political organization...but I do trust CDC workers and HEALTH CLINIC workers, and nurses.

And what I hear from them (okay, only one CDC worker) and other medical professionals is H1N1 is scary. I'm not a fear monger, nor do I panic. I haven't had a flu shot in years, and my kids only had the required immunizations for school (and as infants, the ones that were recommended). I've eaten food prepared by none-too-clean IV drug users with AIDS and Hep and every other imaginable disease, and never worried too much about it. I mean, the risk is there, but if you work in the field, you take that chance. I did take what hep vacs there are, and took my flu vaccines, and got tested for TB regularly. Mostly I'm flipping religious about washing my hands, using gloves when they're warranted, removing them properly, dumping them before leaving the room (you'd be amazed at how many people will wear gloves out of a room and it kills me to watch tv shows like ER where they do it all the time).

But there are a couple of things that get me. One is meningitis. My kids are Indian, and although CDC stats don't bear it out (and I know very well it's because they don't cover it closely enough) I KNOW from working with reservation kids that they get meningitis more than other kids. It has to do with their culture (they're very communal with their kids) and the degree of santitation on reservations, particularly rivers and schools, and the fact that they just aren't real quick to get their kids to drs because often they're pretty isolated and used to dealing with illness on their own. Plus they're poor and reservation clinics are frequently not up to snuff, or nonexistent.

The other is influenza. Regular influenza can wipe out kids. And from everything I've heard, H1N1 is no regular influenza. It happens every couple of decades, you get a new (or mutated) strain that comes along, targets a population that hasn't been affected for a while, and it's deadly.

Measles, mumps, chicken pox, diptheria, polio and whooping cough used to be killers (in the US) as well. I had measles, mumps, and chicken pox. People these days are blase about chicken pox and measles, even mumps, but believe me, these are potentially VERY deadly diseases that, if they don't kill you can have life long consequences. Thank god we have vaccinations for them now. My mother had whooping cough as a 6 month old, but her mother was a seasoned parent who sat with her for the duration, doing what needed to be done. She also had another child with diptheria that she saved by putting her hand down that child's throat and using a finger to wrap up a hard rope of mucous and pull it out, it was many inches long, about 1/2 thick and would have killed the child if she hadn't done it. My father had diptheria at 7, almost died, was sick for a year, and had to learn to walk again when it was over.

My grandparents lived through the flu pandemic that wiped out so many people in the early part of the 20th century, and my grandfather swore he had smallpox, and had a hole in his hand to prove it, which he said was from a smallpox boil. It left a hole he could poke a darning pin through. However, the same grandfather also told me he kept a mongoose in his camper, and I believed him until I was about 8 and finally got up the nerve to look in there. I know there are no documented incidents of smallpox during the period of time he had it, but in those days, ppl didn't seek medical help, particularly people like those in my family, who were pioneers, who lived on reservations, and who lived in isolated areas.

So when idiots like McCarthy make dismissive comments about how "minor" illnesses measles and the like are, I get pissed off. They aren't minor. Chicken pox isn't minor. Fucking measles aren't minor. Influenza isn't minor. PARTICULARLY when it comes to children with tiny lungs, tiny amounts of body fluid, and whose kidneys and other organs can shut down overnight if they're dehydrated or otherwise compromised.

The CDC has released initial statistics on the spread of H1N1. Below is a graph comparing the spread of influenza this season (red), versus the rate of spread for past seasons.

As you can see, only three weeks into the flue season, the current rate is dramatically faster than any other flu season in recent history in every age rage save seniors.

Anecdotally, students are coming down sick all over my campus here in NY, and many students are walking around with biohazard-rated face masks. It's like out of a movie...

CDC - Seasonal Influenza (Flu) - Weekly Report: Influenza Summary Update
EIP40.GIF
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKsVVmOGV9I]YouTube - Empire Strikes Back Asteroid Field[/ame]

Forum List

Back