Flu Pandemic Statistics

eagleseven

Quod Erat Demonstrandum
Jul 8, 2009
OH
The CDC has released initial statistics on the spread of H1N1. Below is a graph comparing the spread of influenza this season (red), versus the rate of spread for past seasons.

As you can see, only three weeks into the flue season, the current rate is dramatically faster than any other flu season in recent history in every age rage save seniors.

Anecdotally, students are coming down sick all over my campus here in NY, and many students are walking around with biohazard-rated face masks. It's like out of a movie...

CDC - Seasonal Influenza (Flu) - Weekly Report: Influenza Summary Update
EIP40.GIF

Last edited:
This is rubbish.

There are more "reported" cases of the flu because people are now freaked out because of the 24/7 swine flu hysteria buildup.

And my oh my how those flu stock prices have gone up!!!!!

you should go to your local ER Sinatra and then get back to us. I am not saying everyone should be vaccinated but here in Washington everyone is getting it. Two local schools had to shut down because 50% of the student body has had the swine flu.
This isn't the first time this has happened, where a flu virus turns into a pandemic, we are just lucky this virus isn't as strong as the one in 1918 that killed 50 million people.
Interesting fact though is one of the reason elderly people are not getting it as much as younger people is because it has some of the same genetic make up as flu viruses they could have gotten in the 30's.

The flu is pretty widespread here. They aren't testing for H1N1 specifically in most cases because of high false negatives. According to my doc (I saw today), the fact that it's hitting so much earlier than the regular seasonal flu points to it most likely being H1N1. He said there are also some pretty brutal viral illnesses they are seeing now that are not influenza but mimic its symptoms. Oh joy.

The CDC has released initial statistics on the spread of H1N1. Below is a graph comparing the spread of influenza this season (red), versus the rate of spread for past seasons.

As you can see, only three weeks into the flue season, the current rate is dramatically faster than any other flu season in recent history in every age rage save seniors.

Anecdotally, students are coming down sick all over my campus here in NY, and many students are walking around with biohazard-rated face masks. It's like out of a movie...

CDC: EIP Influenza Laboratory-Confirmed Cumulative Hospitalization Rates, 2009-10 and Previous 3 Seasons
EIP40.GIF

Bad news for us all. Not good statistics at all. One must wonder about the sanity of those who equate acknowledgement of the situation with a political viewpoint.

you should go to your local ER Sinatra and then get back to us. I am not saying everyone should be vaccinated but here in Washington everyone is getting it. Two local schools had to shut down because 50% of the student body has had the swine flu.
This isn't the first time this has happened, where a flu virus turns into a pandemic, we are just lucky this virus isn't as strong as the one in 1918 that killed 50 million people.
Interesting fact though is one of the reason elderly people are not getting it as much as younger people is because it has some of the same genetic make up as flu viruses they could have gotten in the 30's.

Really? What schools are those?

Why do the nutters not believe statistics from the CDC?

Does being a wingnut somehow make you think there is not a flu epidemic in our country?

We had 3 schools closed in our district last week because of it, it's just spreading like wildfire here.

Here is how the swine flu story works out...

Headlines blaring of 2600 suspected cases being phoned in to the health center as WSU.

2600 calls from people saying they have "flu like" symptoms - and then the news agencies report it as being 2600 cases of swine flu.

It is absurdity atop absurdity.

___

2,600 suspected cases of swine flu (H1N1) reported at Washington State University

Any person who calls Health and Wellness to report flu-like symptoms is counted as a swine flu case at WSU. People who call are advised to stay home, treat symptoms and drink fluids. Doctors have actually seen only about 500 students, and no one is being tested for swine flu. Under CDC guidelines, university health officials are treating all cases under the assumption that they are H1N1.

Read more: 2,600 suspected cases of swine flu (H1N1) reported at Washington State University

Good lord people - open your eyes!

Does being a wingnut somehow make you think there is not a flu epidemic in our country?

We had 3 schools closed in our district last week because of it, it's just spreading like wildfire here.

I am simply asking what schools were closed due to swine flu...

I know a few that closed with a small handful of confirmed cases and then kids getting pulled by parents from school out of fear - but not because of an overwhelming number of actual confirmed cases of swine flu.

Last edited:

I know a few that closed with a small handful of confirmed cases and then kids getting pulled by parents from school out of fear - but not because of an overwhelming number of actual confirmed cases of swine flu.

Even now my school is an infected cesspool of hacking and throwing up,,,,,the parents here send to school unless they are almost zombies.

It is an epidemic.

Even now my school is an infected cesspool of hacking and throwing up,,,,,the parents here send to school unless they are almost zombies.

It is an epidemic.

That is no different than any other flu season.

I can recall two or three years where illness swept across campus and decimated the student and faculty populations. No biggie, just flu season.

The only difference this flu season is the hysteria.

And I still would like to know what major public schools have closed specifically due to confirmed cases of swine flu...

school flu - Google News

school closings - Google News

school closings flu - Google News

Conclusion

The upcoming H1N1 vaccine is simply the regular flu vaccine targeted against the H1N1 proteins to cover the current pandemic strain. Because the pandemic will likely come in two waves, and we are between them right now, this gives us the opportunity to create a vaccine specific for the pandemic strain – rather than guessing, as we do each year for the regular flu season. We have a great deal of information about the safety of this vaccine, but it is always reasonable to track safety going forward. We also have a lot of information about the effectiveness of the flu vaccine – it is very effective. The vaccine itself is very effective, but the actual effectiveness each year varies from 60-80% depending upon whether or not the proper strains were targeted.

NeuroLogica Blog » H1N1 Vaccine and GBS

I don't give a damn if you nutters want to believe that this is all hype and some big conspiracy, and refuse to get vaccinated or even believe the illness is widespread. But your lack of sense is putting the rest of us at risk, and will therefore make this epidemic just that much worse.

If you choose not to get the vaccine, fine. Just stay the hell away from me and mine, thanks.

____

Each one of those stories is from last spring. The schools closed, then quickly re-opened and life went on. There are some schools closing more recently - but how much of that is due to fear vs reality? Of course, it is fine to keep one's child home if one chooses.

There is a specific segment of the population at risk with this flu - namely those with serious pre-existing health conditions - particularly in the younger population. If you are a parent with a child suffering from certain serious health conditions, namely
neuro-development disorders, then they should take prudent precautions in protecting that child during the flu season, as H1N1 appears to be most harmful to these children - but even then, the actual cases of death in this very specific segment of the population are very few.

An excerpt from medicalnewstoday...

___

Federal officials reported this week that at least 36 children have died in the US as result of the 2009 pandemic swine flu virus A(H1N1), two thirds of whom had one or more high risk medical conditions. Over 90 per cent of the children who had medical conditions had neurodevelopmental disorders such as developmental delay or cerebral palsy and health-care professionals are urged to be aware of the potential for more severe illness, including death, among these children.

The report also shows that most of the children with neurodevelopmental conditions who died had more than one neurodevelopmental diagnosis and/or pulmonary conditions.

In addition, doctors should be aware of the higher risk of severe bacterial coinfections in children who have flu and treat accordingly. Over 40 per cent of the reported deaths for which lab results were reported, showed the children also had bacterial coinfections.

US Swine Flu Death Toll Includes 36 Children, Report
______

Sadly, a small number of these these children - who collectively represent a very small segment of society, are the ones being taken by this particular strain of flu - but for the vast majority of us, both young and old, H1N1 poses no more threat than the regular flu - perhaps even less.

In 2006 the CDC reported over 56000 deaths in the United States from influenza/pneumonia. It is quite likely the deaths this past year from the flu will be more or less the same amount - perhaps a bit less due to the massive increase in vaccinations. There are more cases of the flu being reported, as more people are running to the doctor out of fear, but there does not appear to be more actual flu-related deaths.

So just relax folks - life is good. Some of you are gonna get a little sick, and stay in bed for a couple days, then you'll feel better and the world keeps spinnin'...

http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/nvsr/nvsr56/nvsr56_16.pdf

Last edited:

Forum List

Back