Florida political scientists give Obama speech mixed marks

Conservative

Type 40
Jul 1, 2011
Pennsylvania
Florida political scientists give Obama speech mixed marks

But in the estimation of many other political observers, Obama, known for his eloquence, was not at the top of his oratorical game,and while some praised the content of the speech others found it short on detail.

“I thought it was a good speech, but not exceptional,” said Florida Atlantic University political scientist Kevin Wagner. “Given the problems the country still faces, soaring rhetoric would not have worked well, the way it did four years ago. He was more pragmatic and pragmatism doesn’t make for great oratory...

Meanwhile, Sean Snaith, economist at the University of Central Florida in Orlando, found the speech lacking the main information undecided voters were looking for.

“He needed to talk more about specific things he will do to help turn around the economy,” Snaith said. “I think that’s the linchpin on which this election will be decided. I think it would have enhanced the speech and his campaign if he had been more specific. The weak recovery is not a philosophical problem, it is concrete problem.”

Forum List

Back