Florida lawmakers pursue death penalty in child rapes

26 years married. 4 kids. All the little lies she told over the years. I have always had some kinda weird sense when something was not right. At about the age of 16 I started trusting it. When my buddies would go to a party and I got that feeling I did not go. When people close to me let bad people in their lives I was not physically present. Did not take long for people to notice how I always avoided the messed up stuff. Before ya knew it if I said I was not going several other people followed suit.
I see. My wife was far more direct. The problem is that I still care for her and love her, it was 16 years and she needs.to.address her slots and anger issues. This may not be enough for our marraige as I realize I have to look out for my safety. I just pray the case is over soon so I can decide my future. It is the waiting and the unknown that is the difficult part. I have to make peace with God. Surely Jesus cannot expect me to reman married under such circumstances.

This should be interesting.

TALLAHASSEE - In a move that likely would spur a constitutional fight, Florida lawmakers appear ready to pass a proposal that would allow the death penalty for people who commit sexual battery on children under age 12.

The House is scheduled Thursday to take up its version of the bill (HB 1297), while the Senate version (SB 1342) was approved Tuesday by the Rules Committee, positioning it to go to the full Senate.

The proposal comes after decades of U.S. Supreme Court and Florida Supreme Court rulings that have said it is unconstitutional to execute defendants in rape cases. A Senate staff analysis said nobody has been executed for a non-murder crime in the United States since 1964.

In a rebuke of the court precedents, the House and Senate bills say that a 1981 Florida Supreme Court case and a 2008 U.S. Supreme Court case were "wrongly decided," with the Senate version saying "such cases are an egregious infringement of the state's power to punish the most heinous of crimes."

Senate bill sponsor Jonathan Martin, a Fort Myers Republican who is a former prosecutor, said the bill would create needed "constitutional boundaries by providing a sentencing procedure for those heinous crimes" that would be similar to death-penalty laws for murder.

"If an individual rapes an 11-year-old, a 10-year-old, a 2-year-old or a 5-year-old, they should be subject to the death penalty," Martin said Tuesday after the Rules Committee approved his bill.

Aaron Wayt, who represented the Florida Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers at Tuesday's meeting, said people want "vengeance" when children are victims of sexual battery, but he pointed to U.S. Supreme Court precedent on the issue.

"This bill invites a longer, costlier (legal) process for the victim and their family that they will endure," Wayt said. "While this crime, anyone convicted of it is vile, heinous, the Constitution itself, the case law, the Supreme Court demands a maximum of life in prison. And so while it's not the vengeance we all want, it's the justice that the Constitution demands."

But Senate Minority Leader Lauren Book, a Plantation Democrat who was sexually abused as a child, said "there is no statute of limitations" on the suffering of victims.

"This is a life sentence that is handed down to young children," Book said. "We're talking about the youngest of the young in this bill. I was one of those kids. I still to this day at ... 38 years old deal with the very, very real lasting effects of this crime. It never goes away. Sometimes you close your eyes and you see it. I don't get a chance to make it stop."

Under the bills, defendants could receive death sentences based on the recommendations of at least eight of 12 jurors. Judges would have discretion to impose the death penalty or sentence defendants to life in prison. If fewer than eight jurors recommend death, defendants would receive life sentences.

Currently, unanimous jury recommendations are required before judges can impose the death penalty in murder cases. But lawmakers also are poised to change that requirement to allow death sentences after recommendations from eight of 12 jurors. The Senate has already passed such a change, and the House will take it up Thursday.

At least in part, the Republican-controlled Legislature has been emboldened by conservative shifts in recent years on the Florida Supreme Court and the U.S. Supreme Court.

In 2020, for example, the Florida Supreme Court ruled that unanimous jury recommendations were not needed to sentence defendants to death in murder cases. That reversed a 2016 ruling that required unanimity.
Biden isn't going to be happy.

Did he call the cops on her?
I don't know. If he did it was not part of the video. He has it all on his phone. As far as I am concerned that is theft and extortion. I feel that lady is more of a threat than someone breaking into my house trying to steal my TV. I can shoot the guy in my house but I would rather shoot her.

I see. My wife was far more direct. The problem is that I still care for her and love her, it was.16 years. This ma not be enough fr our marraige as I realize I have to look out for my safety. I just pray the case is over soon so I can decide my future. It is the waiting and the unknown that is the difficult part. I have to make peace with God. Surely Jesus cannot expect me to reman married under such circumstances.
I still want good things for my ex. Just want her to have them with 60 miles between us. My youngest daughter wanted to remove my ex from her life but I told her that is the only mom she ever gets. I am still astanged from my other kids. My ex turned them against me. They do not know about the particulars of the case. My youngest only knows because she helped me move into the place I am now and she found court documents regarding the case and the divorce. She was also the only one that was still in the house when this crap went down. It is my hope that my relationship improves with my older children but I am not going to be the one to tell them their mother is a conniving liar.

I still want good things for my ex. Just want her to have them with 60 miles between us. My youngest daughter wanted to remove my ex from her life but I told her that is the only mom she ever gets. I am still astanged from my other kids. My ex turned them against me. They do not know about the particulars of the case. My youngest only knows because she helped me move into the place I am now and she found court documents regarding the case and the divorce. She was also the only one that was still in the house when this crap went down. It is my hope that my relationship improves with my older children but I am not going to be the one to tell them their mother is a conniving liar.
Not to make your word gospel, but I have been working with the Crown to minimize her situation, been coy about evidence and refused to sign something that would have hurt her (I did plenty of my own research on the law and processes to prepare for different eventualities). If you were me, would you have taken the same approach? I'm curious

Except for wrong accusations....we had a case here in Nevada where a man was tortured and killed because his neighbor thought he was sexually assaulting her child. He wasn't.

That is why we have trials and appeals and the like. This law would not do away with due process

Forum List

Back